“Wheatsheaf”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Virginia Water
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
“Wheatsheaf”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My partner and I stayed in a suite room, and didn't try the food other than breakfast, so this review is purely about the room.

High points
+ Lovely spacious room
+ Air conditioned - perfect on such hot days!
+ Amazing, powerful shower
+ Great location, right next to Great Windsor Lake and a twenty minute drive to Thorpe Park.
+ People have complained about the traffic noise - our room was right above the road and I barely noticed it. Perhaps I'm just used to it, living on a busy street...?
+ Helpful staff, though they are very laid back!

Low points
+ For such a high price, I would have liked to have seen some more personal touches, like toiletries rather than a push dispenser of soap.
+ The continental breakfast was terrible. We weren't offered any croissants as the menu stated, and so we paid £5 each for a bowl of cereal, a yoghurt and a slice of dry toast between the two of us!
+ The place could definitely do with a lick of paint and some TLC.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked a family room for 2 nights for a trip to Legoland and were pleasantly surprised. The room was large, air conditioned and more than ample for our needs. The location was amazing literally on the edge of Great Windsor Park and the lake great for walking. The restaurant was fine - not haute cuisine but great value and decent. There have been some negative comments on here about service etc and I can't praise them enough. Lets set the scene.... The hottest weekend of the year... Lots of outside eating / drinking space.... Perfect location next to the lake - lets face it - it was busy! Did we have to wait a long time for our food - no. Was there a queue t the bar -yes obviously as its thirsty work 30 deg heat but the staff managed well and the wait wasn't too bad at all. All in all a great trip - thanks.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear 180Jo_Wills,

Thank you for providing us with your review.

I can confirm that I have passed on your kind comments to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Wheatsheaf Hotel who would like to thank you for your positive feedback.

We hope to see you soon at the Wheatsheaf Hotel.

Kind regards,

Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Bottom line... The Wheatsheaf is a big tired pub with a chain restaurant attached with some rooms above. I stayed here the other night before playing golf at Wentworth the next morning. (It's literally 1mile down the road). However it's all a bit confused because even though everything about the place is run down , tired and almost appears unclean - its not!
Yes the paint is peeling off , the carpets are worn and the bar,restaurant tables all sticky the food was great (although very pub'ish. My bedroom (2) was a dichotomy of great size , AC that really worked, but a TV that was hidden behind a grotty flea market wardrobe! (take it out!!!) the sheets and bed linen were pristine clean but the bed.... Bought at the same flea market I'm afraid!
But then the shower ... It has to be the best in the Western hemisphere - clean and white , big and powerful. You could drown in it. Magnificent!!
Breakfast - served in the dump downstairs with the sticky tables - was simply excellent and obviously freshly cooked. The staff were all really friendly and helpful as well , despite their jeans and tee shirts!
So - clean up the place , give it a makeover etc and you've got a 4 star "find". As it stands and on the basis of first impressions it can only get two or three stars. Shame really because it's got all the ingredients for being very good.

Room Tip: Room 2 shower! But bring your iPad to watch tv!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear horsetiger,

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Wheatsheaf Hotel who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board.

We do hope to see you soon in Wheatsheaf Hotel soon.

Kind regards,

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I'm a regular visitor to the Wheatsheaf and have often posted reviews. I visited the hotel on June 23, the same day as the reviewer "don't bother if its busy" My husband and I visited and stayed the night. We had a late lunch in the restaurant and although it was very busy, everything was as good as it always is. I visited the toilets and apart from a few bits of paper on the floor, they were spotlessly clean. I have never, in all the times I've visited, ever had cause for complaint regarding food, service or cleanliness. I consider myself to be a fussy person and I would be the first one to complain should standards not be met satisfactorily. I hope that future guests and readers of these reviews pay more attention to the other positive statements listed rather than this solitary negative one.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We went here last night for dinner with friends. It was a last minute decision as I had received some tescos coupons for 'Chef & Bewer' meals.

I used to come here quite a lot and always enjoyed the food. But haven't been for a while as it's about half an hour away from where we live and someone always has to drive.

But with these vouchers in mind we decided to go out with some friends for a meal.

We arrived and walked in from the carpark of the pub. The lady on the bar told us we could sit where we liked & it would be waitress service.
After a while we decided to actually go up to the bar to order.
Starters came out in a suitable time and then cleared away promptly once finished.
Even though it was quiet our meals were not rushed out straight after our starters and when they arrived they were really nice.

I had the wold boar & pork burger which was very well cooked and really tasty.

Would recommend the food in the pub, but feel maybe the service could have been slightly better.

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here prior to going to legoland, great location as not that far to theme park, we arrived on the sunday Very busy however we ordered a starter and main and didnt have to wait to long, food was good, we stayed in room 9, someone has mentioned the road noise??? We couldnt hear it, however outside our room the floorboards were very noisy if i had to be picky. Room was great a lovely BIG bath and 6ft bed very comfortable. Would stay here again.

Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We have just returned from what can only be described as one of the worst meals we've had in a while! Things didn't start great when the waitress said she would get our table ready for us only for us to still be sitting in the bar area (with 3 children) 15 mins later. My husband went and found our table partially set up with the reserved sign so we added a few chairs and took our seats. Went up to order and several things "off" the menu. Food came after a long wait served to us by the grumpiest, ill mannered waiter. He was very curt when one of our diners asked him for some tartare sauce! The food was of poor standard (overcooked veg etc). After finishing our first course we decided to order dessert to sweeten the evening up a little so asked for our plates to be cleared. After 3 unsuccessful attempts we piled the plates up ourselves while having dessert (no, they didn't clear it when bringing our desserts). As there were 10 of us the table was a little cramped. We paid the bill only to be overcharged (I will be contacting them about that as I only noticed at home). The worst part of the evening though was not only drinking out of muggy glasses but the visit to the toilet was unbearable, the ladies middle toilet has faeces on the wall, toilet paper all over the sinks and generally unpleasant but the mens had urine all over the floor and seats. My husband took our young daughter and complained straight away, nothing was done the first time so he complained to someone else half an hour later and still nothing was done. He was told that it would be put out of order, my husband explained it just needed cleaning! At the time we were leaving it still hadn't been sorted. My husband asked to speak to the manager but with 3 young children we got fed up of waiting and left. We have eaten here a couple of times and each time had problems but as it is just up the road from us we thought we'd give it another go.....never again!!!

2 Thank michelle581
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Wheatsheaf Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear michelle581,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Wheatsheaf Hotel in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

#1 of 2 in Sunninghill
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Wheatsheaf Hotel? Share your experiences!