“No Atmosphere ”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Cheese Loft Cafe

Cheese Loft Cafe
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating
Description: Above our working dairy sits a quaint and truly British coffee shop. Step in from the surrounding Northumberland Countryside to enjoy coffee, lunch or afternoon tea. Every morning we are up bright and early baking the day’s homemade scones and fancy cakes. Or why not try our much loved cheese soup, handmade with our own cheese. We also have our cheese soup and scones available for you to take away. Our friendly staff look forward to welcoming you in from the cold and offering you the chance to try our cheese. Whatever your tastes, our passionate team will be able to point you in the right direction and help you through the tasting notes. We can also advise you on complimentary cheeses for you cheese boards, wine matching and more; just ask! We also have a selection of cheese related gifts which make perfect accompaniments to our range of cheese. Our fundamental values shine through and we source as local as possible. Come and see the beautifully presented range of gift boxes we have available for purchase. Choose from a selection of cheese wedges; have them hand wrapped, labelled and gift boxed. We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Northumberland England
“No Atmosphere ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Visited here today after buying some of their wonderful cheese in the cheese shop in Alnwick. It is quite close to where we live and thought it would make a nice change. It is down a narrow and badly surfaced road but is well signposted. The cafe is upstairs as the name implies. The only other customer was a young woman with her small child. We sat down to look at the menu mindful of some of the low beams above us. While we were looking at the very uninspiring menu another young woman with two small children came in. She seemed to be known to the staff and we assumed that the cafe was a meeting place for young families. Of course that is fine but having spent yesterday in a cafe listening to a screaming child we didnt want to do it today too so we left. While we were sitting in the car preparing to leave a lady tapped on the window and politely asked us if everything was ok and why did we leave? I mentioned the children and was told it was the lady's daughter who comes to see her. This is fine but does make a very unwelcoming atmosphere. Went back down the road to the Milkhope centre about a mile away where the cafe had a queue of people waiting. This says it all really.

1 Thank bowdensrus_uk
NlandCheese, Manager at Cheese Loft Cafe, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear bowdensrus_uk
Thank you for comments, we are a family orientated business and welcome families and children in our café. In regards to the member of staff coming to see if everything was OK, her intentions were well meant but we can understand if this appeared intrusive.
Kind Regards
Ann-Louise

northumberland
“nice cosy cafe.......but seemed to be lacking something this time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

visited here a few times. it is a nice place but on this occasion was quite empty and this reflected on the atmosphere i thought. you have to go up to the counter to order. i was going to have the flan but thought it was a little pricey so just had a cheese scone which was nice. friendly staff but i felt something was lacking this time and cannot put my finger on it.

• Visited January 2014
Dear holiday032
Thank you for your comments, it is much appreciated. We are currently looking at ways to improve the atmosphere when quiet.
Kind Regards
Ann-Louise
northumberland
“off the beaten track but worth a visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

i bought my husband for a present a cheese making day which he enjoyed. the coffee shop is really nice and lots of homemade food not to mention the cheese selection. nice atmosphere in the cafe and its really cosy too. they seem to have regular customers coming each week. it is off the beaten track and down a rather long country road but worth it if you want to visit somewhere different.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely cafe, great staff, tasty food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I'm a BIG fan of this place and have been numerous times over the years in it's 'Northumberland Cheese Farm' days into it's revamp to ' Cheese Loft' and I envisage many trips to come in the future! I really love this little cafe as it's cute and quirky and I really like the countryside location. Staff are great and I really enjoy their food!
The menu isn't huge but, it has a few special cheese themed items like their delicious cheese soup and glorious cheese scones! I LOVE the mini vegetable quiche they serve also! ( little tip~ would even nicer if it was warmed in the oven instead of blasted in the microwave as it can sometimes be a bit soggy and chewy!) There are plenty of yummy options such as jacket potatoes, sandwiches, beans on toast, Ploughman's lunch....as a veggie it's a great reassurance that vegetarian rennet is used in their cheeses as this is often a source of worry for me when eating out, so I'm really pleased and impressed that they highlight this info to their customers.
The mango chutney they serve up with their food is AMAZING and meals are nicely presented! Bit of feedback~ Would be great to see a more contemporary and adventurous selection on the sandwich options as whilst they are tasty, the variety is quite basic and safe ( cheese/ tomato/ ham/ tuna mayo/ coleslaw etc) Would be wonderful to see some more of their wonderful cheeses put to good use and for them to offer some really special and unique options~ get the nettle cheese on the menu!!
Staff are great, super friendly and pleasant- service is quick and staff are attentive!
We also sampled the afternoon tea back in the summer which, we were quick to snap up when we found an offer online as it gave us a chance to sample a few alternatives on the menu. Deal was fantastic value and the afternoon tea was topped with the best cheese board I have ever experienced in my life!! The cheese board was a great way to try out a range of their artisan cheeses paired with a hefty supply of bread, a load of juicy mango chutney and slices of apples and pears~ truly delicious!
Cake selection is decent~ plenty of tray bake type options on offer and the carrot cake is nice!
Venue is cosy and sits above the workings of the cheese farm so it's quite a novel experience. I've been when it's both been busy and quiet and have always enjoyed the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. Prices are reasonable and overall I really recommend this place! Lovely cafe, I look forward to my next visit!!

• Visited July 2013
Durham
“Should take "Cheese" out of the name”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We visited here one Sunday afternoon. I ordered a pot of coffee and fruit cake with cheese. The coffee was some of the best I have ever had, but the fruit cake was completely dried out and I could not believe the size of the piece of cheese, a minute triangle 2" x 1/4" thin and it was horrible.

• Visited October 2013