“Cheese sandwiches great but service too slow”
Review of Cheese Loft Cafe

Cheese Loft Cafe
Description: Above our working dairy sits a quaint and truly British coffee shop. Step in from the surrounding Northumberland Countryside to enjoy coffee, lunch or afternoon tea. Every morning we are up bright and early baking the day’s homemade scones and fancy cakes. Or why not try our much loved cheese soup, handmade with our own cheese. We also have our cheese soup and scones available for you to take away. Whatever your tastes, our passionate team will be able to point you in the right direction and help you through the tasting notes. We can also advise you on cheeses for you cheese boards, wine matching and more; just ask! We also have a selection of cheese related gifts which make perfect accompaniments to our range of cheese. Our fundamental values shine through and we source as locally as possible. Come and see the beautifully presented range of gift boxes we have available for purchase. We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I like the uniqueness of this place so keep coming back! The cheese sandwiches - made with mayo and mango chutney are delicious! Coffee is OK, and free re-fills are great but I wasn't offered any - strange as the table at the other end of the room got topped up twice! Main downer is the slowness of the service. My partner had finished his tea by the time food arrived so had nothing to drink... ah maybe that's it - they want you to order more drinks! Don't think so - it seems to be a genuine, up-front place. Would recommend, but be prepared to wait a while for food. PS - I also like that there is no cheesy (ha, ha) music playing in the background. Very peaceful.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Called in on easter monday it was about 2pm very nice and very clean family of five we where served reasonably quick and food was good but the place was very warm I noted air con was fitted but not on this made for a very uncomfortable meal being in a loft on a warm day a pity but would try again maybe in winter

1  Thank rylance58
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I have visited the Cheese loft cafe many times as we live nearby, it is our favourite place to have lunch. We find the atmosphere very relaxed and the staff friendly without being intrusive. Love the cosy feel of the place especially on cold and wet days. The food is lovely especially the tomato soup and my husband loves the cheese soup. The egg mayonnaise sandwiches are the best i have ever tasted. Only negative point i would make about the menu is that it has never changed in all the time we have visited however to be fair there is a specials board each day. Have tried the other coffee shops nearby but find them much less friendly and the food is not as good. Also enjoy trying the different cheeses and chutneys and always take some home with us.

1  Thank hamsterCramlington
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Sadly reading other reviews there seems to be a theme of very slow service even when cafe is not full which was our experience. My scone and tea arrive within 10mins (scone not warmed up sadly) but husbands soup of the day order had still not arrived after had I finished my scone and 2 cups of tea. On enquiring it still wasn't ready so we gave up. If they had told us there would be a wait for the soup fine, but they didn't and I would have expected both food orders to be brought together. Isn't that kind of the point of going out to eat with someone?
The scone I had was nice enough but nothing special.
The prices these places charge and the effort you need to go to in order to reach them it is in their interests to value their customers - its not as if they are attracting passing trade in the location. We did get a verbal apology from the lady on the till but I would kind of have expected a discount and not to be charged full price for the scone and tea we did receive.

This issue does not appear to be a one off from reading the other reviews so if you are planning a visit I would ask for a time scale when you place your order and to specify that ALL food be brought together (something I wouldn't expect to have to say in this day and age).

NlandCheese, Manager at Cheese Loft Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Izzy G
Thank you for your feedback I am currently looking into what happened on your visit as this should not have happened. It is our policy that if there is going to be a wait on food then the staff should inform you that this will be the case.
If you would like to contact me on admin@northumberland-cheese.co.uk as we would like to offer you something in a way of an apology.
Kind Regards
Ann-Louise

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Wonderful service, very friendly. uncomplicated menu, fab cheese! Everything looks and tastes homemade, and the staff are very attentive. Will be going back as soon as possible!

Dear Emma Louise O
Thank you for your comments in regards to the Cheese Loft Café, we do make all of our scones, traybakes, cakes and curd tarts on site. The only cake we do bring in is from a local company in Durham called Jenkins and Hustwit which is our fruit cake.
Kind Regards