“Stay in South Shields” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in South Shields
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Stay in South Shields”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

There are some very good points about this place but also a few gripes that can easily be addressed. Location (either for South Shields TC or for Newcastle TC, via Metro- but have change ready as notes not accepted), is excellent. Despite only being a pub, bedroom and refurbished bathrooms reflect decent hotel standards.Obviously price is modest so a stay is clearly good value.

I don't think the self service breakfast in the morning is bad (how many of us in real life have cooked breakfasts everyday ??) - however , a few stools or chairs etc. need to be placed in kitchen to avoid one having to eat ones cornflakes or whatever standing up. During extended trip around the British Isles, this was one of 2 places where although I could connect to the advertised wifi network,(I have a powerful laptop and rarely have problems), I believe the upstairs (and thus guest) network had lost its connection to the Internet and needed to be rebooted.When this happened in Ireland, the receptionist rebooted the hotel modem thereby getting the network back on line and fixing the problem (as I showed her my computer and she knew from others what the problem was), here in contrast the host was busy serving customers at the bar so I didn't raise the issue even though I found the lack of internet access very annoying - my intention therefore in writing this is to make the hotel staff and future visitors aware so everybody can be proactive if other guests encounter the problem in the future. ( I also couldn't get the tv to work so this should be checked). Next, be aware (as I was when I booked but I had forgotten by the time I arrived :) that loud music is played in the bar downstairs til 1am (or certainly weekends) so you can only get to sleep from then on - for people joining the bar, or going into town for the night, this is not issue (it wasn't for me) but it would be for someone hoping to go to bed early.

Finally for those without satnav or who don't know the area be aware that although there are 2 car access routes to the cul de sac at the end of which the pub is located , one is forbidden to traffic except from 11.30pm to 6.30am- the other approach is via the Asda supermarket and other shops access road ( go to the end and turn the corner to find the cul de sac at the end) - this is all obvious once you know it but kind of counter intuitive when you don't.

In conclusion I would recommend this place but subject to the above caveats.

Room Tip: Host may prefer cash rather than CC but there is free autobank a few feet away...........
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Just returned home from a great night at the Douglas Vaults, can't thank the staff enough for their hospitallity they are a credit to their Manager and to South Shields.
Maybe this hotel is not to many peoples liking but you get what you pay for, and i'm sure all the negative comments below regarding the shared toilet/shower were known before hand, I knew what to expect as I had read the hotel information when booking.
I had stayed in a £70.00 hotel the previous evening in Paisley and I know which one I would go back to.
Again many thanks to Christina and Ash and friends for their friendlyness, they even took us around town when the bar shut. My ownly regret was not meeting "The Growler" i'm sure I will next time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SIMONWIGAN
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Very good value for money. All rooms are nicely appointed and clean. Found the staff very helpful especially the manager. I have stayed here a number of times and have no complaints. A good budget Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Gerry2020
West Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed at The Douglas Vaults when I was going to a football match in Sunderland.

Location wise the pub is less than 5 minutes from the Metro station meaning you can easily get to Newcastle, Sunderland, Whitley Bay etc quickly and the main high street. The main area for pubs and Ocean Road which has a great selection of restaurants (mainly Indian) is also around 5 to 10 minutes away. For location alone its a good place to be based.

Our room was basic but clean. The shower worked perfectly and was nice and warm. There were tea making facilities. The breakfast provided was cereal and toast which you can help your self to. I see some people wanted a cooked breakfast - we paid £40 for a double room which I think is decent value for a room without a breakfast personally so this was a bonus for us.

Staying here on a Friday or Saturday night wouldn't be suitable for a family with children but the website states that there is live music till late so I doubt anyone would be silly enough to make the mistake of staying in a pub with a late licence and expect it to be deathly quiet.

If I stayed in South Shields again I'd be more than happy to come back. Good value accommodation.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Me and a mate stayed here last December when Liverpool had Newcastle away. It was a budget sort of choice because we only needed somewhere to put our heads down as we met up with some mates and went out into South Shields on the night. It was very cramped and small but had everything you needed. The shower facilites were quite good and very clean and the bed was alright. Room all in all was very clean and it's centrally located so was easy to find and easy to get back to (which was a good thing considering the state we were in)! If we go again we'd probably stay here as it was quite good for the price!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

On arrival we we're shown to the room by the bar maid who was friendly at the time, but very unapproachable the rest of the stay. The bedroom was clean but small however the en suite bathroom was dirty, and upon going to use the toilet for the first time, discovered that it had already been used before out arrival and not flushed!
Also the shower was full of hair, and the bathroom tap hanging off the sink when you touch it.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable and the noise in the room horrendous! Not only have you got the music absolutely BLASTING downstairs until all hours, you have the shared bathroom next door with constant toilet flushing, shower noise, and talking and laughing. The base from the music downstairs actually shakes the bedroom floor.

'Breakfast included' is a con here too, as this actually means help yourself to toast and cereal downstairs.

Only good thing about this place is the location. Short walk to everything you need, shops, bars, beach 20 mins away.

Would not stay here again. No value for money at all.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these South Shields hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We were 2 couples to watch the India-England cricket match at the Durham Cricket Club starting 10 am. Durham is a long drive from London, hence decided to book 2 double rooms just for a night before the match.
- The entrance is through an old English pub which is the ground floor of the hotel.
- We stayed in a twin room, nice, simple & comfy. The other couple were in a similar sized double room.

The reasons I have rated this hotel as a poor one, despite a nice location (right in South Shields City Centre) & a very competitive price are:
- We booked a double & a twin room, and they were not with ensuite bathrooms. Luckily, there weren't any more occupiers on the floor - hence the 4 of us got to use the shared bathroom on the floor, The bathroom was spacious and clean, but none of us had ever stayed at a place with a shared bathroom. What irked was the fact that while booking the room, this fact was not mentioned (I am a careful reader and probability is less that I would have missed this point).
- The breakfast in the kitchen was just for namesake. It was a self-service system - Just walk in the kitchen, toast your own breads, pour cereals etc. The sink was shoddy and there was no provision of hot food (eggs / omelette / sausages / bacon).

Hence, we were not too happy when we entered and came across a shared bathroom. Neither were we happy with the breakfast arrangement when we left the premises.

But yes - for a budget vacation to Durham/New Castle/Sunderland - if you dont mind the shared bathrooms & literally no breakfast - this is a decent hotel. An absolute winner if you consider the central location. Also, plenty of free parking space in designated parking areas.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Athol House
Athol House
#4 of 6 in South Shields
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel

Been to Cross Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!