“FOOD”

Ranked #7 of 25 South Shields B&B and Inns
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“FOOD”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

my partner and family were at the marsden INN on the 7/3/2012 for a meal myself n partner and niece ordered the fish and chips with peas.all was well till i got to tail end of the fish when it leaked out yellowish oil and i spotted a bit of green stuff i put my knife n fork down and left it as we had visited my brothe who lives up there we had to leave to start our journey back home .when we arrived home at 9.30 that night we were in bed at 9.40 my partner william had to run to the toilet to be sick and has still not recovered yet at this moment while im typing this he is in hospital its all down to the fish as we had not eaten anything else .we are going to see what hospital says and if its been brought on by food poisoning we will be taking this matter further...thank you .9/3/2012
a

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank paulaorma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

PRICE: Extremely cheap, £24.50 for two adults on a Saturday night. (there's a reason why the rooms are so cheap, keep reading!)

RECEPTION/SIGNING IN: I arrived at 7.30pm to see the reception was closed. There was sign saying go to the lounge to sign in, but no directions to which of the three rooms was actually the lounge. As it turns out, after an akward walk around the hotel where I interrupted many a private party, the "lounge" is actually the room labelled "restaurant". Maureen, the lady who owns the hotel, was fairly abrupt and not particularly friendly, but I've ate in the restaurant many a time and she is never nice so that was no surprise. Don't take it personally when she scowls at you.

THE ROOM: The room was small but really well presented and clean. There was a sink in the corner...but wait a minute. No toilet and bath/shower. If you need the loo you have to walk down the hall to the communal toilets. Fancy a wash? Have a nice communal potentially germ ridden bath mmmm. The toilets/bath are very well maintained, but it's the other hotel members I'm worried about, not the cleaniness of the facilities!
I wasn't too bothered because I'd been travelling all day and would have bathed in ANYTHING if necessary, but this is a definite downside to staying at the hotel nontheless. Everytime I needed the loo I had to get fully dressed out my PJs which was annoying. STILL you can't really complain for the price, and for the extra £22 I'd have had to have paid anywhere else I was willing to make allowances. A sidenote: You only get one key which is a bit annoying if your'e sharing with someone else and you are wanting to leave/enter at different times so also keep this in mind.

SLEEP: Down the hall from the hotel rooms there's a huge room which is rented out for parties. As any party usually has, there was blasting music, loads of drunken rowdy people and tons of accumulated noise. It doesn't really settle down until about 1am as people tend to accumulate outside the hotel afterwards for a smoke etc. when the Marsden Inn closes. This is my opinion is really bad design because ALL the hotel rooms will be disturbed whenever there is a party, which is usually every week. Still we were up late ourselves so it didn't bother me, and I can sleep through anything but if you're a light sleeper you may want to reconsider the Marsden Inn.

THE FOOD: We had breakfast in the morning which is served until 11am. We were greeted at the restaurant, but noone moved to show us to a table so we just sat down... only to be moved about 5 seconds later. The place was dead so I was a bit clueless as to why they would not just direct us to the tables we could use, I think they assume you will just know where everything is and what to do.

The food options were: full english breakfast for £5.95 or continental £3.95. They did not serve a vegetarian option of the full english breakfast so I was a bit stumped. They were accomodating though and let me order scrambled eggs and my partner sausages beans and toast despite not being a menu option. You're allowed unlimited orange juice and a jug of tea/coffee in with your meal which is great. For that reason though we had no idea what we'd be charged as they never told us. It ended up costing £4.50 each for our meals (weren't told the price till the end, another case of them just assuming you'll just know). My scrambled eggs was delicious and I wish I could cook that good at home.

PAYMENT: This was confusing because at no point were we told when to actually pay. In the end we just asked to pay with our breakfast. I think again they just assumed we'd know when to pay, so you have to just get in the habit of seeking out staff members to ask questions to.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
CO DURHAM
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Great friendly pub/hotel serving inexpensive good honest quality food,extensive menu,visited New years day and was surprised to find non inflated sunday lunch prices.I would recommend the home-made syrup sponge pudding what a treat.Give it a try you wont be disappointed.Also to note well maintained clean toilets

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TURNIPCoDurham
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Travelling as a female alone for the 1st time i was very apprehensive. There was no need to be! What wonderful staff here.

I Was made to feel very Safe & welcome. on arrival i was instantly met by a lovely lady Sandra who took me to my room where id be residing for the next 3nights and she couldnt have made me feel more welcome.

The staff especially 'Steve & Sandra' went that extra mile and made my stay one to remember. The bar staff & cleaners were also pleasant what an enjoyable stay. Rooms were beautiful, comfy and very cosy with lovely views out over the sea, bedding changed and rooms cleaned daily.

The Marden Inn Exceeded my expectations and i shall be returning to stay here on my next visit to South Shields and strongly advise any visitors to the area to pay a visit here. you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank KLEE00
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

A friend of my wife's stayed here recently and whilst the actual hotel, room, food etc was very good, 1 area that needs work is the actual booking process. The guest filled in the online application and then after several days with no reply had to eventually phone to make the booking. Another frined is due to stay soon and had the same problem. The online booking form is a brill idea but only if the staff follow them up.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jacobean20
Sunderland
Reviewed 13 April 2011

It may be allright to stay as a guest but I wouldnt recommend the food also we were accused of not paying for our drinks when we had. I certainly will not be returning. The food eas cold and was probably microwaved from frozen. one lady who was with us had a lasane that was frozen in th middle. The yorkshires were grey and the dumplings were so hard you couldnt cut them. When we complained and very politly we were told that we were banned as no one had ever complained about their food before. we were sympathetic to this and said that they must have had an off day. they refused to accept that the food was not up to standard. two of our party got really upset and refused to pay as they were not able to eat the food. the rest of us paid our bills and left . as we were walking accross the car park the manager/owner came out and shouted accross the car park , in front of other customers that we had not paid £18 pounds worth of drinks. we consequently went back to confront the bar maid who said these ladies and gentlemen have paid for their drinks. We managed to get a mumbled apologie but not sincere at all.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank jtgSunderland
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2010

we have stayed at the hotel in the past, but returned for a weekend break. the hotel is situated within easy reach of the town centre. it is excellent value for money. the rooms are spotlessly clean and the food is excellent, especially the breakfast. we would have no hesitation in returning to the hotel as often as we possibly could

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
#4 of 10 in Sunderland
Rosebank Guest House
Rosebank Guest House
#2 of 25 in South Shields

Been to Marsden Inn? Share your experiences!