“Best of the Budget Chains by far ”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn South Shields Port Of Tyne Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
“Best of the Budget Chains by far ”
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

First time at Premier after staying at most of the other chains , we would it way superior to the others .
Reception was very friendly , the woman told us her name , when she finished & the names of the people through the night & who was on early .
The room was a good size , big bathroom & a huge comfortable bed . The room & hotel were very clean & well maintained .when ever we passed reception we were acknowledged .
We paid for a full breakfast which is served buffet style as much as you like in the adjoining Taybarns restaurant . £ 8.25 may seem high for breakfast but the quality of the sausage & bacon is very good & the choice of fruit ,cereal , Croissants , juice etc was very good . As well as as much as you wanted there was also unlimited tea & Costa Coffee .
I would definitely recommend this particular hotel & will stay with Premier again

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel which was clean and tidy. The receptionist was very friendly on arrival. I would happily return. Parking was available at both the front and back of the hotel. There is a lift and the location is quiet.

• Stayed November 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Don't go any where else this hotel is the best,great staff and the buffet is wonderfull 10/10 well worth the money, everything was modern and clean,Room was more than what we would have expected for the price. Just book it

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 20 November 2013

A great welcome from Fiona on reception.

The room, was a bit of a disappointment. Whilst it had the usual comfy bed, TV and bathroom, all of which were clean, the room itself was in need of some work…

- The main door was loose, which meant that whenever a corridor door was opened, my door banged against its lock – it woke me a number of times early in the morning
- The bathroom door would not stay closed, which meant the nosy fan could be heard in my room. I stepped out of the shower into the open door – not great
- The toilet roll holder was missing – broken off – the toilet roll was left on top of the cabinet
- The thermostat and heater unit were noisy – clicking and humming every few minutes – I found myself lying there listening to it, waiting for it to click again
- The wifi would not allow me to connect, even though Fiona rang through to the support team and confirmed there was a fault, it didn’t seem to clear

I do not know the history of this hotel, although it felt like one they have recently acquired and had simply branded up as PI. For example, the bedside light unit panels were attached to the wall partially over some wall sockets, so I could not plug in my phone charger. There were some works to replace windows in rooms down the corridor from me, so they seem to be working to improve it.

The Taybarns next door is an all-you-can-eat restaurant, which is low on price, high on quantity. Whilst it offered good value, I felt I was eating in a school canteen, with the cafeteria style tables and piles of plates and cutlery. The food was hit and miss, with some dishes better than others. Don’t get me wrong, I like good value restaurants, it just doesn’t seem to fit with the PI brand – I would see this much more suited to a Travelodge.

As per my numerous other positive reviews about PI, unfortunately this one just didn’t make the mark – the mark set set by the PI brand in most of the other PIs I have stayed.

Whilst I raised these points at reception, I did not claim my money back as I still slept well enough on the comfy bed and I’m not into claiming for the sake of it.

Sorry Premier Inn, this hotel is damaging your brand.

My advice to those wanting to stay in the Port of Tyne would be to drive to the next nearest PI down the road.

Room Tip: Avoid room 63!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at South Shields for 2 days/nights from 10/11/13. This was our 2nd visit. Room very clean and comfortable. Staff very helpful. On arrival we asked reception for iron and ironing board. By the time that we had taken our coats off the iron and board had been brought to our room. What service! We had breakfast and evening meal at Taybarns each day adjacent to the Premier. You do not have to leave the building to reach the restaurant which is great in wet weather. All staff were polite and friendly at all times. A special mention for Janis on reception. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 12 November 2013

A group of us stayed at the hotel for a gymnastics competition. I dealt with Fiona before we arrived, and she was extremely helpful. When we at the hotel, the restaurant manager and chef were extremely accommodating, opening the restaurant early and cooking something special for one of the gymnasts before the competition. The restaurant manager ensured we were booked in for breakfast and dinner. The restaurant was £13 for me and my daughter. Food wasn't a la carte, but we believe value for money for what we paid. Lots of choice too, which was great as was in a group booking. Similarly for breakfast, lots of choice for hungry gymnasts. And £7 for a bottle of wine, result!! Recption staff were extremely helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel, and if we are at this competition next year, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed 11 November 2013

All you can eat restarunt across seven cuisines I had pizza for an entrée followed by Steak for starter ha ha ha and you can go back as many times as you want !!!!!!!! Oh the premier inn was good too !!!! I am definitely returning !!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
#5 of 5 in South Shields
Clifton Guest House
Clifton Guest House
#1 of 25 in South Shields

Been to Premier Inn South Shields Port Of Tyne Hotel? Share your experiences!