“vow renewal party”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in South Shields
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
“vow renewal party”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

we had our vow renewal party at the Sea Hotel and have to say the staff and in particular the manager on duty could not have been more helpful. Although there was some confusion over seating which was our problem as we did not expect the number of people who arrived due to the lack of RSVP's they reacted fairly quickly to assist in solving the problem. The food was good and served with a smile. We stayed overnight and the family room we had was spacious and clean. All in all a great night at a good location. Thanks to all involved.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kevin D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were here for a party after a wedding vow renewal and I must say it was a shambles. Not enough seats brides brother had to sort it out. The food was poor and the beer/cider was disgusting. The only good comment I can give is the toilets

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank clairet1405
TheSeaHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Sea Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments; I must reply with some facts that you are not aware of. I took the details for the function menu choice and table arrangements, with reference to the table arrangements, I offered the room to be set with straight tables seating 150 or round tables seating 120 the choice was round tables. On the evening I did bring in extra chairs on request due to the surprised large turnout which was commented on in the speech. To say I am surprised at your comment about the buffet is an understatement, the choice of Chicken Rogan Josh or Lasagne is very popular, I served the buffet which was received well with several guests coming back for second helpings. Clearing the tables was easy with clear plates and many “thank you” comments, at breakfast the next day I served the organisers and several guests that stayed overnight, again I received compliments on the event and service provided. I am sorry that you had not enjoyed the choice. I will of course contact the organisers about your comments.

Alan Watson
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I went here with a big party for a 70th birthday. When we arrived nothing was ready so we waited in the hotel bar. No one came for us so eventually after nearly an hour we had to go and ask. No one else was in the restaurant as it was mid week. The staff were too busy puffing on cigarettes outside to care to be honest. The staff were pretty untrained and rude I felt, and one of them tutted when my sister tried to get past for the toilet. My sister wasn't rude or anything to the waitress and hadn't done anything to antagonise the waitress, so I was livid.
The food was poor and that is being kind - some of it was disgusting. The over 70's crowd seemed to think it was OK but the younger ones didn't (being used to good grub in the town). Food there is boring, bland and traditional but I have to say my meal did not have a lot of taste.
I truly feel sorry for anyone who comes here for their wedding. I would have expected better from this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Firstly may I apologise for the attitude of the waitress you write. I have to add that the service staff has a great record of friendly service and receive many very positive comments and thank you cards.

I hope you will understand that it is hard to investigate your comments which relate to an event in March, over 6 months ago. To be honest, with the poor review you have posted I am surprised that you would wait 6 months before making a comment, however I have looked back through the Restaurant diary to try to identify your booking but cannot find a reservation relating to a 70th birthday party. It would help me immensely if you would contact me at the hotel with date of the event so I can investigate further.

On a general note large functions have the option to select the style of menu that would fit in with their party requirements and budget; we would of course give advice, which would suggest choices that would include both plain and spicy dishes to try to accommodate all tastes especially when it is a large group.

If you selected from the Restaurant menus, we aim to provide a choice for all tastes; with dishes as simple as fish and chips and traditional roasts to more elaborate dishes with king prawns, sea bass, medallions of pork and fillet steak with a choice of sauces. The menus also include a range of other fish, chicken, duck, pasta and vegetarian dishes for your selection. On a typical service we provide 18 starters, 28 main courses and 16 desserts to choose from. I am sorry it was not to your liking.

Regards
Alan Watson
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed at The Sea Hotel a few times & our rooms have always been clean & pleasant. The staff on reception helpful & welcoming & the same for the restaurant staff. We have a 3 year old border collie & he receives as friendly a welcome as we do. The breakfast is good value, we have also had evening dinner there & have no cause to complain about the quality of the food. We visit Shields to see my 94 year old aunt who we sometimes take there for lunch & the care & patience the staff show her is nice to witness & is not always shown in busy restaurants unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Previous positive reviews are a real surprise, but I suppose I can only comment on my own experiences, which were far from good. Reception staff did their job, but did not smile once, or portray anything other than ambivalence. The room was dusty, hot (despite all windows being open), with dirty carpet and very dated. The bathroom was big, but in a very poor state - the most pathetic shower I've ever used in any hotel in any country, the sink was uncomfortably close to the toilet. Only 2 channels available on the small TV. The only positive was the free wi-fi, but I would rather have stayed somewhere else and paid for it. Cheap at £59 for a double room, including breakfast, but not cheerful.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank prippit
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Overall, I had an enjoyable stay at the Sea Hotel. The staff were warm and obliging, the food generally tasty and the bedrooms well appointed. The twin bedroom that I stayed in was not only smart, but also spacious.

On the downside, the morning newspapers were not delivered (it's wrong to make empty promises), the bedroom sustained a two-hour power failure, the shower was a mere trickle, the bed squeaked, South Shields funfair was far too close for comfort (the furniture shuddered), and the cooked breakfast was too salty.

But in all, I think the positive outweigh the negatives. The Sea Hotel must be one of the best in South Shields.

Room Tip: Choose a room which doesn't overlook the funfair