“REST & RECOUPARATE”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
SOUTH SHEILDS, United Kingdom
“REST & RECOUPARATE”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel as my wife and I used to come to South Sheilds for a rest, as she had several ailments, we needed ground floor accommodation, and access to main areas, of the town this hotel gives this, as it it is on the sea fron and accessable by car, bus and taxi, to any where else,

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We chose the Sea Hotel for it's location and found both the hotel and our room clean and attractively presented. The evening meal was good.

Noise from the funfair just across the road was a concern, but fortunately this had stopped by 9 pm.

Our stay was let down by the lack of service at breakfast. We arrived at 8 am to find the dining room deserted. It seemed ages before a member of staff turned up. We declined a cooked breakfast as we were concerned about time. She brought tea and coffee and we never saw her again. No offer of toast. Other confused quests were arriving and asked us what they should do, which we couldn’t answer.

When we check out the receptionist was on the phone to someone and didn’t ask us if everything had been satisfactory. It didn’t seem to be a good time to mention poor service.

Room Tip: If staying again I would ask for a room on the landward side to avoid the funfair.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed for sister in laws wedding vow renewal. Food was lovely. Everything nice and clean and way above average.

Service was outstanding, the manager had 2 other parties booked in the same night and was still smiling and very accommodating, (only a few extra chairs needed and wasn't as issue, didn't effect the night at all) and was still there in the morning to serve breakfast.

The breakfast is also fantastic, plenty to go round and service with a smile at all times. All the staff were so friendly and professional we even booked in for an extra night

All in all, it was lovely, with a great view (room214) and fabulous service. 10 out of 10 from us. Thank you

• Stayed September 2013
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

we had our vow renewal party at the Sea Hotel and have to say the staff and in particular the manager on duty could not have been more helpful. Although there was some confusion over seating which was our problem as we did not expect the number of people who arrived due to the lack of RSVP's they reacted fairly quickly to assist in solving the problem. The food was good and served with a smile. We stayed overnight and the family room we had was spacious and clean. All in all a great night at a good location. Thanks to all involved.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kevin D
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were here for a party after a wedding vow renewal and I must say it was a shambles. Not enough seats brides brother had to sort it out. The food was poor and the beer/cider was disgusting. The only good comment I can give is the toilets

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank clairet1405
TheSeaHotel, General Manager at Best Western The Sea Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments; I must reply with some facts that you are not aware of. I took the details for the function menu choice and table arrangements, with reference to the table arrangements, I offered the room to be set with straight tables seating 150 or round tables seating 120 the choice was round tables. On the evening I did bring in extra chairs on request due to the surprised large turnout which was commented on in the speech. To say I am surprised at your comment about the buffet is an understatement, the choice of Chicken Rogan Josh or Lasagne is very popular, I served the buffet which was received well with several guests coming back for second helpings. Clearing the tables was easy with clear plates and many “thank you” comments, at breakfast the next day I served the organisers and several guests that stayed overnight, again I received compliments on the event and service provided. I am sorry that you had not enjoyed the choice. I will of course contact the organisers about your comments.

Alan Watson
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I went here with a big party for a 70th birthday. When we arrived nothing was ready so we waited in the hotel bar. No one came for us so eventually after nearly an hour we had to go and ask. No one else was in the restaurant as it was mid week. The staff were too busy puffing on cigarettes outside to care to be honest. The staff were pretty untrained and rude I felt, and one of them tutted when my sister tried to get past for the toilet. My sister wasn't rude or anything to the waitress and hadn't done anything to antagonise the waitress, so I was livid.
The food was poor and that is being kind - some of it was disgusting. The over 70's crowd seemed to think it was OK but the younger ones didn't (being used to good grub in the town). Food there is boring, bland and traditional but I have to say my meal did not have a lot of taste.
I truly feel sorry for anyone who comes here for their wedding. I would have expected better from this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Firstly may I apologise for the attitude of the waitress you write. I have to add that the service staff has a great record of friendly service and receive many very positive comments and thank you cards.

I hope you will understand that it is hard to investigate your comments which relate to an event in March, over 6 months ago. To be honest, with the poor review you have posted I am surprised that you would wait 6 months before making a comment, however I have looked back through the Restaurant diary to try to identify your booking but cannot find a reservation relating to a 70th birthday party. It would help me immensely if you would contact me at the hotel with date of the event so I can investigate further.

On a general note large functions have the option to select the style of menu that would fit in with their party requirements and budget; we would of course give advice, which would suggest choices that would include both plain and spicy dishes to try to accommodate all tastes especially when it is a large group.

If you selected from the Restaurant menus, we aim to provide a choice for all tastes; with dishes as simple as fish and chips and traditional roasts to more elaborate dishes with king prawns, sea bass, medallions of pork and fillet steak with a choice of sauces. The menus also include a range of other fish, chicken, duck, pasta and vegetarian dishes for your selection. On a typical service we provide 18 starters, 28 main courses and 16 desserts to choose from. I am sorry it was not to your liking.

Regards
Alan Watson
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have stayed at The Sea Hotel a few times & our rooms have always been clean & pleasant. The staff on reception helpful & welcoming & the same for the restaurant staff. We have a 3 year old border collie & he receives as friendly a welcome as we do. The breakfast is good value, we have also had evening dinner there & have no cause to complain about the quality of the food. We visit Shields to see my 94 year old aunt who we sometimes take there for lunch & the care & patience the staff show her is nice to witness & is not always shown in busy restaurants unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Athol House
Athol House
#5 of 5 in South Shields
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel

Been to Best Western The Sea Hotel? Share your experiences!