Best Western The Sea Hotel
Athol House(South Shields)(Great Value!)
US$77
Sir William Fox Hotel(South Shields)
US$91
Little Haven Hotel(South Shields)
US$88
Grand Hotel(Tynemouth)
US$138
US$96
  • Beachfront
The Chedburgh Hotel(Whitley Bay)
US$63
The Metropolitan(Whitley Bay)
Toprooms.com
Oaktree Lodge(Whitley Bay)
US$107
All reviewsno liftbit datedmain restaurantwedding receptioncourse mealfor sunday lunchmy dadfull englishtea and coffeestaff were brilliantchecking outnight staybirthday partycomfortable roomfamily roombiscuitsexcellent value for money
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2013

After finding ourselves in South Shields we found Best Western on-line and they found us this great Hotel which accepted dogs.

The staff we extremely accommodating, friendly, helpful and attentive.
We liked the modern decor in the room, which had all the facilities we needed.
The room and en-suite were a good size and clean, the bed was very comfortable.

We were allowed to dine and have breakfast in the bar with our dog and the food was excellent and tasty. Sutty the dog loved the sausages, thanks Jo!

We found the whole area very friendly and hope to visit again soon and will certainly stay at the Sea Hotel and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed here on 16/11/13 to celebrate our daughter's engagement party. We had ordered table decorations to be delivered to hotel for our arrival. From arrival to check out, the staff could not be more helpful, friendly, accommodating and courteous. They were happy to help me set the room up and I couldn't have done it better myself. It was perfect. We hired the conservatory and the menu, service and food were outstanding and excellent value. Our room had nice décor and very comfortable bed. Breakfast in the morning was made to order and once again didn't disappoint. I wouldn't hesitate staying here in the future and would highly recommend it. I give the Sea Hotel 5*****. Thank you to ALL the staff. You are a credit to Best Western Hotels. Looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013

booked in for a few nights whilst visiting the u,k.The room we had was lovely and clean ,the food was excellent and the staff were so friendly it really helped make my first stay in the north east a wonderful visit.Thanks to you all

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Booked online as it was the only halfway decent one available in the neighbourhood. Big mistake.

It sounded okay on the blurb, and I wouldn't say it was cheap, but boy, was this one tired hotel upstairs.

There might have been a sea view from some rooms, but not mine and it was dark both when I arrived and when I left. Not the hotel's fault.

I guess I should have realised what was in for when I learnt there was no lift. Carry your own bags up the stairs? Of course.

I opened the room to the distinct whiff of a something like a cross between disinfectant and Lynx. The double room was okay, but the cracked chipwood papered ceiling and layers of aging paint didn't inspire much.

On the plus side? The bed was comfortable enough. The wifi was free and the staff were very helpful, even when I ordered room service. Shame the beef sandwiches were made with rather dried out bread, but it was real carved beef and the trimmings were pleasant.

Everything was there in the room, including a dressing table big enough to work at, trouser press, iron, etc. I would say all round it was very standard, without being either good or bad. There was nothing I could complain to the management about, but nothing worth complementing them on.

I thought I was in for a cold shower in the morning. It took a good five minutes for warm water to arrive! By then I decided that although I was booked for 2 nights, I just couldn't face another night at this hotel and so checked out early, even though I would have to find somewhere else.

There's on site secure parking and if you were a fan of Blackpool pier type amusement arcades, they're right across the road. Glad I was there in the off season!

It's clear that quite a bit of improvement is going on at this part of South Shields. Fancy pavements and the like. I was astonished to find more than 30 Indian restaurants nearby, explaining the curry breeze blowing through the streets.

I'd like to see the coast in the daylight and there looked to be some interesting night spots further along sea road, but I'm going to give this hotel the swerve in future.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed at The Sea Hotel for three nights attending a wedding reception. Hotel itself is ideally located, just opposite the mouth of the Tyne. As an ex-pat Geordie, the view from the second floor room was great, being able to see Tynemouth Priory and the ships coming and going up the river...

The hotel is basic, but representative of what you expect from Best Western chain. Room was small but adequately furnished, save the shower which either dribbled hot water or sprayed cold all over me!

Breakfast was adequate, served at table, hot and well presented, enough for the average appetite.

Had it not been for the fact that we were there for a wedding reception, my partner and I would probably not have stayed elsewhere. But we were there, and will hold memories not only of the reception, but of the happy time we had at The Sea Hotel for many years to come.

Well done to the staff and management of the hotel, you are a credit to the Best Western brand and we thank you for your hospitality during our stay, even though we were asked to leave the Sea Lounge when your staff said my brother in Law's wedding was a private function!

Best Regards to the Best Western!

Paul Rutter & Phillip Gibson