Booking was easy by telephone and the member of staff was really helpful. I mentioned that I am a smoker and was told that the hotel has an annexe, with quick access to an outside area. I also said that I have problems walking and was told that the annexe would be perfect, as it is all on one level.
When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist saw that I was walking with a stick and immediately offered us a free upgrade to Room 1 in the annexe, which is disabled-friendly and a family sized room. We were delighted ! Brownie points straight away.
The annexe turned out to be at the back of the main hotel. It is a single row of rooms with a conservatory-like structure in front of the rooms, giving access to the car park (with Blue Badge parking right outside !). It is accessed through a wheelchair friendly door (press large button outside - and inside - for it to open automatically). Access to this outer door was by 3 steps or a ramp.
The room itself was lovely: warm and welcoming. It had a double bed and a full sized single. The ensuite was great, very warm and clean and it had a wet room shower, a full-sized basin and a smaller one at a lower level. This was probably one of the best disabled-friendly bathrooms I have ever used in a hotel. On the down side, the room only had one window and no view (it looked on to the covered area outside the door, and the entrance door). That didn't matter too much to us, as we were out during the day and only got back when it was dark.
The problem with staying in the annexe, we found, was that it is not linked directly to the main building. One has to go outside and along the edge of the car park to get to both Reception and the breakfast/dining room. In bad weather, this might be a nuisance. One CAN go in through an entrance fairly close to the annexe and walk through the bar and restaurant to Reception, but there are 3 stairs to negotiate, which wouldn't be much good for someone in a wheelchair - they would have to go right the way round the outside. It was a shame about this, but I don't know how they might get round the problem without extensive building.
We had the full English breakfast that was included in the price and this was taken in a part of the restaurant, which was a fabulous place. We helped ourselves to cereals, fruit juices etc. but the waiter/waitress brought us a pot of coffee and asked for our order for cooked breakfast and toast, which was soon brought to us, piping hot, to the table. The food was absolutely delicious !
Overall, a really good hotel which is situated almost on the seafront and has easy access to the seaside park, beach, funfair (in season) and other amenities that South Shields has to offer.
I would certainly go there again: the price was good, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was super, the bathroom divine and the food delicious. If there had been covered access to the main hotel, I would have said this hotel was excellent.
A highly recommended hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flat screen television. Freeview and terrestrial channels. Free High Speed Wi-Fi Internet connection. Direct dial telephone. Hairdryer. Trouser press. Tea & coffee making facilities. All come as standard in Best Western - The Sea Hotel bedrooms. Our hotel annex provides five extra bedrooms for disabled customers. Secured private car park. Friendly Pub. Private restaurant. Bar. Conference & Event rooms. We have everything you need for a relaxing enjoyable stay at the Sea Hotel in South Shields. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western The Sea Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western South Shields
- South Shields Best Western
- Best Western Newcastle Upon Tyne