“not impressed”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in South Shields
Durham, United Kingdom
“not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2007

Had to stay at this hotel with a work night out.. .. I was only in the room for the one night and glad.. the rooms were very outdated and foisty.. we didn't hang around for breakfast the next day....

• Liked — going home
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Scubydoo
SeaHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Sea Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2008
Hello...

Since you stayed the hotel has been refurbished, solving the problem of outdating you mention. Our breakfast service is very competitive... it’s a shame you didn’t sample it!

When you next in Shields please come back to us and see the new rooms. I notice you didn’t say much about why you were unhappy... If you phone me I will be happy to discuss?

Kind Regards

Alan R. Watson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Shields
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2006

My small portable TV needed retuning regularly because it lost channels. The clock radio/cd player and bathroom mirror light did not work.
I only had a small teacup in my room and Reception promised me a glass and on another occasion they promised me some milk cartons, as I had none, and they did not provide me with either.
I went for breakfast at 8.10 and sat for 20 minutes with not a member of staff in sight and had to ask the cleaner, who was hoovering, to find someone so I could order breakfast.
in the evening I ordered the same meal from the a la carte menu on 2 separate occasions. The first time I had it it was delicious the second time it was inedible.
The Reception staff watched me struggle down 2 flights of stairs with a large suitcase, hand luggage and 2 coats and did not ask if I needed some assistance.
I certainly would not recommend staying here.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Reception staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank sand-dancere
So...

Thank you for your review! I have good news, the small portable tvs are now gone, replaced with good size LCD units... A new Satellite system means no more problems with retuning the TV!

Our policy with the teacups is one cup per guest, but should you choose more we are happy to provide more... I do apologise if reception did not deliver this.

I do apologise that you had problems ordering breakfast this one time, please everyone else be ware this was a lapse in our standards... But I am glad you enjoyed your ‘nosh’ !!

Sadly were are only budget.... staff aren’t allowed to leave the desk to assist you with luggage I’m afraid.

I hope to see you back soon!

Kind Regards

Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2006

The Sea Hotel is a somewhat tired establishment almost on the sea front. South Shields is rather limited for hotels so perhaps it does not have to try so hard. Bedrooms can be noisy - a colleague who stayed earlier in the week suffered from cars racing outside in the early hours - I was at the other end and had to choose between the noisy hotel air-conditioning immediately outside the window or closing the window and sweltering in my (not air-conditioned) room. Old furniture & tv. Breakfast was uninspired.

It is, however, very close to the beach and the 'pier' (the breakwater that goes a fair way out to sea) as well as a path round the Coast - grand for a pre-breakfast walk if the weather is kind.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank Brunlea
Hello...

Thanks for reviewing the Sea Hotel is now no longer a tired establishment... it’s been entirely refurbished and the rooms are far more comfortable than before! We always try our best to satisfy regardless of the competition!

I am aware there is a problem with boy racers in the area and I apologise for this... They are common in the area and are not breaking the law so sadly this is the price we have to pay for our remarkable sea views...!

Sadly the rooms are not air-conditioned, but regarding the external air conditioning, this is no longer a problem as we have removed the units and placed them in an area less annoying to guests! This allows you to open or close your windows as you see fit , as you rightly should as our important guest...

Hope to see you back soon!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Shields
Athol House
Athol House
#5 of 6 in South Shields
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN The Sea Hotel? Share your experiences!