“My wedding”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“My wedding”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband and I had our wedding at The Little Haven Hotel on the 2nd June 2012. Lets be realistic and say that as a normal bride, who can become slightly dramatic leading up to their wedding, I worried that the venue would forget tiny details which were important to me and not give our wedding the special treament it deserved. This was so far from the truth. The Little Haven listened to everything that I asked for and went above and beyond in preparing the room, food and accomodation for us and our guestd. A big concern I had was when I discovered there would be two other wedding celebrations going on at the same time. Being a small hotel I freaked out about seeing other brides and guests on my day. I was assured that the weddings would not overlap and they were true to their word. Not once did I come across either wedding party. When we arrived the other's were out of thew reception area and sitting eating their meal. My guests were unaware of another wedding going on at the same time. I really can't praise them enough. I thanked them all day long because anything I asked for was no problem for them. I didn't feel rushed and I believe that the staff at the Little Haven played a big part in making our day so great. Beautiful surroundings also for photographs. 5 star in my books!

Room Tip: Hadrian suite for wedding couples. Balconys at both sides of suites to watch guests arriving or look...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A lovely hotel, right by the beach overlooking the mouth of the Tyne. We came with a party of bowlers and there were two wedding parties in full swing when we checked in at around 5.30 pm. We were allocated a room overlooking the main entrance and a few doors down from one of the rooms holding a wedding reception. Absolute bedlam, guitars tuning up, children running about screaming down the corridor and photographer posing guests outside the function room - ie near our room door.

We contacted Reception and queried the wisdom of allocating this room to pensioners, rather than wedding party guests. They were fantastic - apologetic and a young lady from Reception moved us to an Executive room (at no extra cost) which was delightful.

We went out for the evening with our group and when we returned to our room we found a bottle of wine and two glasses.

Breakfast the next morning was very good - a huge selection, including strawberries, smoked salmon and prawns, as well as all the usual breakfast food.

All in all, once we got moved to a quiet room, a lovely break and excellent value for money. The staff all seemed pleasant and helpful. Would definitely revisit.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the main front entrance.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank mayfair46
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A pleasant stay with a free bottle of wine left in both rooms as promised. Excellent location. The only downside was the room I booked for my parents. We booked a disabled twin room because my father has Parkinsons Disease. The doors were wide enough for a wheelchair but the bathroom was not suitable for a disabled person. The bathroom had rails near the toilet and bath but the toilet was too low for a disabled person and although the side of the bath / shower was low my father can not use a bath and he would have had to climb over the side of the bath to use the shower, which he was not able to do. When we spoke to reception we were told ' disabled regulations were not the same when the hotel was built as they are now '.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have stayed at the little haven a number of times with my Boyfriend and always enjoyed our stay especially in the penthouse. Because of our recommendations My Mam and her partner booked there wedding day at this hotel. 1st of all when they booked the wedding day there, as a surprise I booked the penthouse suite for My mam and her new husband to stay in on there wedding night. But months after i booked the room ' by mistake ' the little haven cancelled the room and gave it to the other wedding party to use. After a number of complaints, we final got to use the penthouse for 4 hours before the wedding to get dressed in and we were giving 2 bottles of champagne and 2 other bottles in our exc. suites for later aswell. But as we were leaving the penthouse to go down to the cermony room the next wedding party were waiting to be seated for there meal , which ment we were left to wait on the stairs for nearly 20 mins( no good for the grooms nerves!) which ment we were late. but the service went lovely. After the service we were greeted with out drinks and the rest plus top us(bucks fizz, whisky and fruit juice) were left on the table while the photos were taken out side. When we came back in the 3rd wedding of the day were helping thereselves to our wedding drinks , they then started moaning when we told them they werent there drinks! but the staff gave us other drinks to compensate the drinks that were taken . All in all the venue is lovely but not big enough to hold 3 big weddings within hours of each other, your wedding day is ment to feel special and is a very expensive day, so when most of your time is spent standing around with stranges from 2 other different weddings, you can only lay the blame with the hotel. But the staff were helpful on the day reguardless of the problems we had had before the big day and the rest of the day went with out a hitch. The food the little haven provided was great, plenty of choice and they were flexible on changing menus leading up to the wedding. We used outside companies to decorate the room but when they arrived they were told there had been nothing left to decorate the room even thou my mam had been the day before to drop the table decorations off, so really that was wasted money, so the hotal staff ended up decorating the room and they did not have a cake stand for the wedding cake, so the cake sat on a decorated box ! If you have planned to have your wedding at the little haven just remember to double check everything before hand. Graham and Victoria dealt with all dealings for My mam and her partners big day.

Room Tip: If your planning a wedding , just make sure either yours is the only one or the other weddings are a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Forres, Morayshire
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Been fortunate enough to have had an extended stay in this lovely hotel. The location of the hotel itself couldn't be better, right on the edge of the beach, overlooking the mouth of the Tyne. Had a very comfortable room overlooking the Tyne and the beach, that was maintained daily to a very high standard. The friendliness of the staff was refreshing, which complimented the overall pleasure of staying here. The variety and standard of the varied menu was of an exceptional level. The coordination of the exemplary service within the restaurant is down to the management of Michael, the Restaurant Manager, and Rob, the Head Chef. Rob producing first class food and Michael providing an outstanding service, with nothing too much trouble. Would, without doubt, stay at this hotel every time if I am fortunate enough to visit the area again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view overlooking the mouth of the Tyne or the beach.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed at the hotel just for a night away. I will definitely stay here again especially on a Friday. Steak night is a must.

• Stayed June 2012
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My Wife and Myself travelled with a coach company Mystic Isle 17th to 22cnd June 2012 to this hotel for a six day holiday and what a hotel, nothing was to much trouble the staff were excellent and Michael the restaurant manager went out of his way to make sure everything was OK. We had a room over looking the Tyne and watched the very large ships making their way up and down the river. The room was very comfortable and the food in the restaurant was excellent if there was anything not on the menu you only had to ask and most times your request was granted, we shall definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Athol House
Athol House
#5 of 5 in South Shields
Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) Hotel

Been to Little Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!