“wow!!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
Spalding, United Kingdom
“wow!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Having read about this hotel LAST AUGUST we eventually managed to book for 4 nights in April. Our first day coincided with the official opening of the promenade and what a smashing place it is. It must have cost millions to do but it is a credit to south shields. The hotel - well what can you say - it was a smashing stay. All the staff were very pleasant and polite and Michael in the restaurant could not do enough for you. The food was excellent especially the steak pie! As other people have said, book a room with a sea view, it is amazing looking out of your bedroom window to see a large ship going past . Breakfast was very good and a lot of choices and everything was served with a smile. Will stay again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: pay for a sea view - it is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joan w
graham2009, General Manager at Little Haven Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at The Little Haven Hotel.

It is most rewarding to receive such praise and a great boost for the team who have been fed back your comments.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Graham Davidson.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Have just got back from my second stay at this hotel, loved it as much this year as i did last year, I highly recommend every aspect of this Hotel, Its Staff, Its cleanliness, The rooms, the food, its an all round A1 place to stay, and whats more it right on the Beach, realistically what more can you ask for. I really put the staff to test on this recent stay, i was with my elderly disabled Mum, who fell in our room, i went to get help and in no time at all, the hotel owner and 2 of her managers were in our room sorting it and getting mum medical help, thanks all of you especially Micheal, see you all next time thanks again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet W
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the staff made such a good impression. We do pride ourselves on our customer service and it is a great boost for the staff to receive comments and feed back of this nature. We have passed on your comments and thanks to all staff involved.

See you again soon.

Graham

Sunderland England
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We recently went to the restaurant in the Little Haven for Mother's Day lunch. It was priced at £15.95 for 3 courses which wasn't a bad price. The starter was quite nice but the main course was very poor. My husband and I had ordered lamb. This was so tough it was inedible. We complained about this and all the response we got was that they were sorry and would inform the chef. The lamb came with a huge dish of boiled cabbage that could have fed 10 people and a dish of plain mixed vegetables. I was expecting something a little more special from a restaurant in a nice hotel, perhaps cauliflower cheese,or roast parsnips etc. The sweet was nice but I always think the best part of a Sunday dinner is the roast so I felt cheated that I hadn't had any. I am aware that Mothering Sunday probably wasn't the best day to choose to judge a restaurant but we were hoping for something a bit more special. Very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VStorey
We are sorry that your lunch on Mothers Day did not meet your expectations. On the day in question we served over two hundred meals and are disappointed that you did not enjoy your main course. Please contact the Hotel where i will speak with you personally regarding your concerns.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

One of my favorite places to go for a toastie and cuppa looking over north shields and the sea.

Lovely atmosphere,clean,pleasant staff seem ok and not really ever had any problems.

Cant vouch for the rooms but never heard anything bad living in the area.

You can also sit outside on a sunny day def a place to go to

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawson E
We thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and service in the Boardwalk Cafe. We do pride ourselves on our friendly staff and we have fed your comments back to all concerned.

Look forward to seeing you again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at Little Haven Hotel last weekend. I had stayed there last year and loved the location. The hotel is of a good standard and staff very good. Unfortunately they do have functions with loud live music so if you want to sleep before about midnight and are in a room affected by the function, forget it.

Prior to my recent stay the hotel phoned me to advise me of the function taking place and to ask if I would prefer to be moved to a room that would not be affected by the music/noise. I was impressed with this.

The night of my stay I arrived back at the hotel after my evening out. It was midnight and although I was told the function would finish at this time, it was ongoing. My room was not affected by the noise, though I know people who were in rooms directly above the function room. However and unfortunately, my room was near to the outside smoking area which continued to be used through the night by hotel guests who were not only smoking but shouting on mobile phones, singing and yelling at each other. By 2am I had had enough and phoned reception. The night staff member was very apologetic and spoke to the people for me. It was quiet for a while but then got noisy again. At 3am I was desperate and phoned reception again. This time the night staff locked the door to the outside smoking area and I had peace at last but too late for a good night’s sleep given the early breakfast and check out time.

At check out, the receptionist was aware of these issues and I was given a discount on the room rate. I would rather have had a good night’s sleep but it was a gesture I appreciated. I was assured that the hotel would be looking into their policies. I hope these are not empty words and this is my reason for posting this here.

The hotel is small with the function rooms as part of the hotel. There is no possible way all guests can avoid function noise. The hotel needs to end functions much earlier, decide their guests are more important than the income they make from functions or build a separate function area.

I expect there will always be people who will want to stay here just because of the location – it’s such a pity that they won’t have a relaxing and tranquil stay in this relaxing and tranquil location.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Louise W
We are sorry that the guests stay was disrupted by noise from Wedding / Function guests.

The Hotel hosts in excess of 100 Weddings each year and many parties, we do try and minimize the effects of this on non function residents. The Night Porters are instructed to police the noise after 11am and the congretation of guests at the front and rear of the Hotel. We are sorry that this was not done in time to ensure you had a good nights sleep.

The Hotel is conscious of the effect our Functions have on other guests and try to minimize any disruption.

We will continue to be vigilant regarding late night noise and do hope to see you again.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Yes I have been here before. Although the location of this hotel is appealing I am not so sure the food is of a good advertisement for the hotel,after all within in a 10-15 min walk there are plenty of very good resturants .
The hotel is friendly and very well maintained but some of the staff seem to have a couldn't careless attitude.
The rooms are clean and comfortable but on the cold side a bit more heat would be nice. Maybe the winds really do blow cold up north. Yes I would and will be going back as it is close to where I will be working

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Stephen P
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

3 day visit last week. First rate hotel. Room excellent and views from our room (room 232) could not be bettered. Food good value and well cooked with plenty of choice. Will be re-booking later in year.

Room Tip: ask for beach / river side not car park side. We will ask for room 232 again
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple