Athol House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sir William Fox Hotel(South Shields)
All Seasons(Douglas)
  • Breakfast included
Little Haven Hotel(South Shields)
Grand Hotel(Tynemouth)
  • Beachfront
The Chedburgh Hotel(Whitley Bay)
The Metropolitan(Whitley Bay)
View Hotel
All reviewstown centreb bstayed herecouple of nightsfull englishfamily roomroom was spotlessocean roadduncanfridgeshields
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Well what can i say about Athol House, Excellent, Superb, Fantastic, And what a great laugh.
Well i arrived in February for a project that was supposed to be 2-3 months, But i ended up staying there for 8 months, The owner Duncan (actually sounds younger on the phone haha) Only joking Duncan!!! I was greeted with a warm welcome and friendly banter, I thought Duncan was an excellent host and a very good friend and if i was ever down there again Athol house would be my first choice for staying, It was a pleasure and an honour to have met this great guy.
I would recommend this place to anyone. If your lucky enough to sample one of his home made thai currys whey hey (Very Nice).

Room Tip: All rooms are big enough.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I lived at Athol House for almost a month and I found it very nice. The house is cleaned every day by a friendly woman and the breakfast is the best I have ever eaten. Duncan, the landlord is very friendly and he is ready to help you with everything. He is also funny so it is nice to talk to him. There is no shower in the room but there are two on the floor and two other in the basement. The city centre is near, less then 10 minute walk. And the sea is in walking distance too with a nice, sandy beach. I recommend this guest house to everybody!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed with my 12 yr old daughter, had a lovely big room, everything you needed. Duncan the owner is brilliant, so friendly, and welcoming. Breakfast was fab..
I agree there wasnt a en-suite, but had own bathroom just feet away, which we never found a problem.
I will definately be visiting the Athol again, as fantastic value for money. Thanks again Duncan.
pam

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I arrived to a georgian type town house which was very pleasant looking.
The owner was very polite and friendly .He was like David Beckham and Brad Pitt rolled into one with the six pack of Tom Daley..( friendly banter assured for my next visit.)
.I was shown to the room which was massive, It was clean and tidy,fresh scented and open plan style.It had its own fridge,hob and large sink for washing up and a standardised basin for personal cleanliness.
The bed was comfy and clean linen applied..The tv was freeview with all the expected channels available.Outside the room were ample books to read and a great selection of places to go leaflets.
After a great sleep, the breakfast... It was the cereal choice from 4 along with coffee/tea fruit juice and toast. Then the full english which was large and cooked to perfection.
I highly recommend these premises and look forward to staying again.
theres no pool or fitness centre but i accidently pressed review .

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank KevByrne
Reviewed 31 July 2012

i booked into this B&B as the one I usually stay in was fully booked. I was shown to a granny flat out in the back yard with a single bed, grotty shower & 'kitchenette' There was patterned glass in the whole door & no door curtain. The blinds were damaged & I could overhear every conversation held in the yard by the smokers & also the noise for cars in & out to park.
I did not feel particularly comfortable nor safe & was even reluctant to sit on the bed. Needless to say, I did not stay & managed to find a much nice guest house on Ocean Road

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business