“Recent stay overall opinion” 4 of 5 bubbles

Annie's Guest House
Ranked #10 of 26 South Shields B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
castleford
“Recent stay overall opinion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We came back from annies yesterday after a pleasant three night stay my only bad point about annies is we was on the top floor with mobility problems but this was our fault it wasn't mentioned on booking the room was small but very clean and we'll equipped even iron and small ironing board you could use fridge in dining room and microwave another nice thought and breakfast is freshly cooked to order and lovely it was too the bathroom was shared and on the middle landing but this wasn't too much of a problem I would stay there again but would need a room on a lower flooryou was made to feel welcome but these people did not intrude into your holiday unless you wanted them to

Room Tip: Just make your needs known on booking to make sure you get a good room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sueduke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed at Annies Guest house for the second time and once again was very happy. Comfortable room with flat screen tv and writing desk (important as I was on a training course).
Breakfast is first class.
Hope to return again, some time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Dale S
Thirsk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

After gaining employment at STDH I was concerned at my travelling time from North Yorkshire. I looked into hospital accomodation but nothing was particularly useful to me... I googled "Hospital Accomadation, South Shields" and up sprung Annie's Guesthouse. Wow! What a gem! I have now stayed here on several occasions and each time I've been greeted like an old friend and made to feel welcome.

I have stayed in a single, double and the family room (though only booked double!) and each and every room has been clean, tidy and contained everything you could require for an overnight stay. I will admit that I prefer the single rooms for their cosiness - Staying away from home along can be lonely and the family room was huge for just me. Linda is very friendly and super efficient checking you in and sorting out room codes even for late check-ins as hospital shifts can be a little unreliable for getting off at time. Well, I needn't have worried. Everything was sorted for me and I was able to arrive without problem. My room was cleaned whilst I was at work every day and all the facilities replenished.

The breakfast is good - June is evidently very experienced in providing this service as I have received whatever I have ordered within about 10 minutes of arriving downstairs. Not only this, but the website advertises breakfast from 7.30 - June has happily facilitated an earlier breakfast in view of hospital shifts and I have not been limited in what I can order due to the early arrival. Breakfast is tasty - Cereal and juice followed by cooked breakfast. You eat your cereal whilst June cooks breakfast - Obviously if you choose not to have cereal then you can sit and drink your tea watching TV waiting for your breakfast.

Checking out is no bother - They take cards or cash and you can sort it out over breakfast and I've never been left waiting around to pay whilst June is busy.

I will definitely be staying there again - I've already booked for my next 2-3 weeks of shifts!

Room Tip: Rooms are allocated for you
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nici T
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Visited Annies Guest House,April2012.... as we all need to have a good nights sleep and the advert said all the beds had memory foam mattresses ? The room was very clean and all we needed for our short stay alas!!!!.... the bed was not, it was a metal framed double bed with a single next too it (also metal framed) as soon as we sat on the bed it creaked and once we tried to lay down the sqeaking just got worse with every little movement, so alas we neither of us got any sleep.and even the single bed next to it sqeaked really badly as well...,we did advise the owner and they were very apologetic but i can't help thinking that the bed will not be changed and so some one eles will suffer from a sleepless night as we did.The breakfast was good but only one person cooking and serving so it took ages.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a divan ???not a metal framed bed
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Wanted a bed for the night and a good breakfast for me and my teenage son who were staying over after going to the match in Newcastle.
We got everything we needed and more.A large comfortable ensuite room with double and single bed,large flat screen TV,free wi-fi and tea and coffee facilities and we could park right outside free of charge.
The property was in a quiet road but close to the town centre and I had a peaceful night's sleep which is more than can be said for my son (due to my snoring apparently!!)
Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious and we could even watch Match of the Day while we enjoyed it.
We received a warm welcome from everyone we met and would have no hesitation recommending Annies to anyone visiting the area.
Great value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank pfewart
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

myself and my partner stayed the night in this guest house.we had been travelling allnight from norfolk so all we wanted to do was go to sleep so when arriving at annies they made our room up and let us in straightaway.when we got in the room it was lovely and basic and very clean.they even gave us the family room even thou there was two of us!the owners made us feel very welcome and because we was on a quiet road we had a very good nights sleep!the best bit of the stay was the breakfast!if i was ever to go back to south shields then i would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roseriddles
No Fixed Abode
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Stayed in Annie's for nearly 5 weeks whilst studying at South Tyneside College as the Halls of Residence was full of Cadets! :-(

During this time I couldn't fault it. My room was cleaned every day, the shared bathroom and toilets were in great condition and when I had time to eat breakfast it was excellent. It was possible to get a weeks laundry done on the same day for about £5 or £6 which was one less thing I had to worry about while I was at the college. My wife joined me at various times during my studies and Linda was very helpful at letting me chop and change rooms to accomodate this.

My only complaint would be noise as it was a terraced property but so is nearly every other guest house in Shields and it was certainly a lot less hectic than some of the other places on Ocean Road, which can be a bit loud on the weekends (though it a great place for a curry!)

On the whole though Annie's was exactly what I needed for my time in Shields and would definitely stay again if I return to the town in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo