“Most Welcoming Stay”

Sir William Fox Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in South Shields
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We have never been to South Shields before so this was a new adventure for us. Yes we would almost definitely come back. Our stay at the Sir William Fox Hotel has to be one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at. They offer that extra special personal touch that makes you feel that you are not just a guest. Our room which was 21 was spacious, comfortable and well decorated. Low lights made it very relaxing. The bed was like floating on a cloud and has made me decide we need a new bed. I loved the deep bath and had a good long soak.
I wish we had taken up the option of having breakfast in our room as we did find the dinning room a bit cramped. The breakfast was good value for the money - but sorry the sausages were not the best, But that is just me I am very fussy when it comes to sausages. The hotel does need some updating in the main areas but that falls into insignificance when you are in your own room. I do have one other little thing, our room had a small window as a attic room you could not see out. It was ok for me for 1 night but any longer I would have had to move I just felt hemmed in. Again that is down to my claustrophobia and nothing else
We would definitely go back and would recommend this hotel to friends and family, Many other hotels could learn alot from the staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 21 is large, comfortable and has fantastic lighting. The bed is extremely comfortable and I had...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sir William Fox Hotel

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Sadly stayed for only one night, more would have been good. Bright and cheerful staff on arriving, small bar for a drink before dinner which offered a table d'hote menu which was delicious and had that home cooked appeal. The room was clean, albeit a tad small, but it was a single with ensuite facilities. Breakfast again cheerfully served by local girls was excellent. Private parking behind the hotel was a bit of a challenge to find, but safe and secure once located... and the Bill for Bed/Breakfast/3 course Evening Meal/3 Bottles of Peroni = £61. Cannot think of a better value small hotel - Brilliant. South Shields is a bit of an unpolished gem, but this hotel is located out of the centre in the best road in the town.

Room Tip: spend a bit extra if solo, and get a double room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TonyandJoanna
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I was impressed by the cleanliness of this hotel and the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff throughout my stay. My breakfast was cooked individually after placing my order and was delicious. Everything about my stay was at least as good as hotels where I have stayed costing 3 times as much. It is obvious that the owners are making every effort to please their guests and they deserve to succeed.
I was in a single room which was a little bit airless but I slept well nevertheless.
The location is surprisingly secluded and peaceful - not what you'd expect to find in the nearby area. I hope to stay again when I am next in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rneil_hodgson
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I always try and stop when in the area, half the price of comparable hotels, just as good if not better than chain hotels. The only minor issue is that the restaurant has a limited menu, however there is an Italian, Chinese and Indian restaurant within 50 yards, plus 2 pubs one serving food.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Busiris
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Great value with spacious comfortable room and plentiful breakfast. Although we arrived early they were very friendly as we waited for our room to be ready.The bar prices were very reasonable although they will benefit from having a separate bar area, planned for the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank VernonRobinson
Reviewed 18 November 2012

stayed here for two nights and come on the metro...was sent down the opposite way to the hotel by an unfriendly local...thankfully two helpful ladies pointed me in the right direction after i had walked over half a mile in the wrong direction...staff are very helpful and found them quite pleasant...rooms are nice and pleasant but i wasnt happy being woken up by a phone on the outside wall in corridor...plus was woken by guests on the first night but which is no fault of the hotel...obviousley someone left their key!!!!the breakfast on the first am was quite disappointing...it tasted like it had been prepared well in advance...not freshly cooked yet on the sunday it was exactly the opposite!! lovely!!!!overall i would stay here again and was very handy for the buses and metro down the road...the single bed was ever so comfortable and had a great nights sleep!!

Room Tip: think the hotel needs to be properly signposted as i walked past it twice before i rang to ask...the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank graybagsinoxon
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Booked late and arrived late, rooms nice and well equipped , staff polite , breakfast excellent . For the money I was expecting far less so very pleasantly surprised ,Only prob was the water pipes in room were a little noisy constantly rough out the night!

Room Tip: Make sure you check the room isn't as noisy as mine with water pipes
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business