Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
US$73
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel(Washington)(Great Value!)
US$85
Travelodge Washington A1M Southbound(Washington)(Great Value!)
Travelodge
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound(Washington)(Great Value!)
Travelodge
US$48
US$45
Priceline
US$108
Angel View Inn(Gateshead)(Great Value!)
US$61
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
US$85
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel(Sunderland)(Great Value!)
US$58
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssteam roomfour poster beddriving rangesunday lunchgreat nightthe ground floorevening mealcouldn't faulttea and coffeeone night stayfull englishtreatmentfitchfacilitiescarterorangerywedding
Reviewed 1 November 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel on business. I was met by a very helpful and friendly receptionist and then directed to my room. The room was comfortable, clean and pleasant.
I ate in the restaurant that night and could reccomend the steak as it was cooked to order and tasted really nice. The restaurant lacked a bit of atmosphere but the staff were attentive and friendly.
Breakfast in the morning was disapointing. I am not a lover of food under the hot plate and it seemed dry and unatractive. There was a sign offering to cook the eggs to order but my opinion is for the money charged this hotel believes its better than it is and they should be cooking all the breakfast fresh.
On check out i was again met by a friendly recepionist, who after spotting a mistake on my room bill dealt with it in a very efficient and proffesional manner.
I have probably been harsh in giving this hotel an average score as it is a bit higher than that, it's just too expensive for what it is to rate it very good. I would return but it would need to be on a discount offer so that i feel i had value for money. It appears to me that due to the fact there is a golf course attached the prices are inflated.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PABLO086

Dear PABLO086

Many thanks for your review and appreciate your sincerity.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel’s staff in general and the steak you had in our Lincolns restaurant.

On the other hand I’m sorry that breakfast was not up to the standards you expect. If however you felt the food was dry I do wish you could have notified a breakfast team member who would have ensured a fresh offering from the kitchen.

With regards to value for money I’m sorry you felt this way. We do have free WIFI and complimentary leisure club included which goes some way to add value to the product. This is sometimes not the case with some of our competitors. I do wish you can try the hotel in the future and hopefully we can demonstrate where the value lies.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

My family was one of the many affected by the recent floods in the north east. During that time, we had to stay in three different hotels, and the george washington exceeded them all.
We experienced delicious breakfasts and evening meals, and a fabulous sunday lunch. I've since tried to recreate the lovely creamy scrambled eggs and the battered cauliflower from sunday lunch myself and I can't! The customer service was also faultless, from the reception staff to the duty managers who always asked how our stay was and made a fuss of our two boys. Room 612 was spacious, immaculately cleaned by the lovely portugese cleaning lady who my little boy loved, and who deserves recognition for her hard work. We stayed there for a month and really miss it! It was a nice experience during what was otherwise, a stressful time.
Pool lovely, nice toiletries, go!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear ladymuck82

Thank you for your extremely kind words about your month long stay at the hotel. I can’t imagine how difficult it would have been being away from your home for a prolonged period due to the floods and I’m glad that our staff were throughout the hotel were faultless in their approach.

Sunday lunch is very popular at the George Washington with quirky aspects such as the battered cauliflower. Our head chef will be delighted by your comments.

Once again thank you for your kind words and hope to see you again (though not on such unfortunate circumstances) in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Visited last weekend with my wife, two sons and 4 other family members. We stayed on the 1st floor in two linked family rooms and a double room. We booked in dinner bed and breakfast at a good rate. We unpacked the car which took a few trips up and down the stairs and then headed down for dinner which started at 6.30pm a bit late for our 21/2 year old and 11 month old who were tired and played up a bit.

Stuart in the restaurant was superb he made what could have been a painful meal in to a pleasure (well as much of a pleasure eating a meal with 2 little ones can be). He even brought our desserts up to the room for us as the little ones had gone past the point of behaving.

I can't speak highly enough of him Mercure have got a real cracker of an employee there.

The breakfast in the morning was superb as well and we used the pool after breakfast as we had an hour to kill before visiting family. Could have done with the door being closed in the pool room as it was a cold day. The little ones loved the pool but they were in and out jumping in so I was concerned that they might catch a chill due to the door being open.

Check in and out was very smooth and I would highly reccommend this hotel to anyone. I have stayed here on past trips up to family and was sad to see the decline but you can see where they have spent the money on the refurb and it is back to its original condition and I am glad that I gave them a second chance.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I booked three rooms for a small family gathering and booked a table for five in the restauant for 7.30. We got there on time and were asked if we wanted to dine in the brassiere or restaurant. When I said Restaurant was booked a look of surprise came across their faces. They quickly pulled another table joining to two to make three to seat the five of us. We were given menus without being asked if we would like drinks. Twenty minutes later a waiter came over and asked if we were ready to order. He took the order and then asked if we could have order drinks which he took the order for and then waited ten minutes and had to remind another waiter that we were waiting for drinks. We ordered five starters with garlic bread, they duly arrived but no garlic bread, I had to ask for it. Our empty plates were ther for ten minutes before been cleared away. Then we waited another 25 minutes for our main meal. (Some meals are marked that they do take longer cooking) but we didnt order any of these. During our time I did notice one table being served by three waiters and got their mains all together we didn't , they came one at a time by two waiters. The excuse we were given was that they were short staffed but extremely busy. I saw at least six different waiters/waitresses and I counted no more than twenty people in the brassiere/restaurant at any one time. We left the table with our main meal plates still on our table and told them to charge the bill to my room

Room Tip: Avoid any room over 121 as the heating didn't come on till mid to late evening, and even the corridors were cold from there onwards
1  Thank John H
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear John H

Thank you for your review and I’m disappointed to learn that your restaurant experience was not up to the high standards that we should (and virtually always) deliver.

All your points made direct towards service on the night. Rest assured these issues will be rectified with immediate effect.

John please accept my sincere apologies and should you wish to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me on 0191 402 9988 or email gm@georgewashington.co.uk