“a perfect spot for a break away”

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Dundee, United Kingdom
“a perfect spot for a break away”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

went with a group of friends and apart from a small hiccup with rooms allocated we were soon in our rooms and able to enjoy the quality of the hotel room. spotless and cosy and plenty storage etc an nice towels and extra blankets/pillows with hairdryer and iron/board I requested another cup and some milk and was rewarded with whole pot which I was able to pop in my rooms fridge(very handy for a carry out drink too)the meal was lovely and so many staff on duty that whole room was soon served.it was a buffet for main course and very generous with meat portions and of course help yourself to rest and lovely food with replenished plates on buffet as quickly as they emptied. same goes for breakfast with self service but staff there for special requests
I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the area as lovely gardens etc for weddings and spa and golf looked good too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank dundeegirl46
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013

Martin Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks (3-15 Nov 13), I had asked for a room away from the bar/ reception areas and was allocated room 239 which is at the other end of the hotel, although the view wasn’t good this was fine for me as I was out all day and by the time I got back to the room it was dark outside. Room was well maintained and clean.

I used the small swimming pool which was good and the gym seemed to have decent machines.

The meals and selection of foods was excellent but you do pay a slightly higher price for this.
Great breakfast with everything you could wish for.

There was a slight hiccup on checking out but the error was rectified. I had a great stay here with all the staff being extremely professional, courteous and friendly.

I will stay here again when visiting the area and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Andrew Power

Room Tip: If you don't mind a poor view and trek from your room to the bar/reception then ask for room 239...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank APower7732
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 29 November 2013

Middlesex, England
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. I was travelling alone and ate in my room so can not comment on any of the other facilities. The first night there was an issue with my room but it was resolved quickly and efficiently and I was moved to a room with a beautiful, comfortable 4 poster bed.
The rooms were lovely, food was very good and staff were great. I will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable and apologies for the poor start to your stay. I am pleased you appreciated the executive bedroom, with the four poster bed.

Hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Regards

Warwickshire
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was having a bit of a 'downer' on Mercure until I re-visited this one. Last time round I wasn't that impressed and added to recent experiences I wasn't looking forward to staying. To be fair, this hotel has restored my faith in the chain. Clean, tidy, fresh smelling corridors, really nice room with a modern feel to it. Staff on reception were excellent - really friendly and helpful. Has it had a bit of a brush-up in the last 12 months? Whatever - I would certainly stay again. Well done Mercure George Washington!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I am pleased your faith in Mercure has been restored.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Gateshead
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We recently had our wedding reception, in the George Washington Suite, at this hotel. During the planning of the wedding and the actual day the staff where attentive and helpful in every way. They did everything they could to make our day special.

Myself and my bridesmaids stayed the night before the wedding as did several family members, and my husband and I, were given a complimentary room as part of the wedding package. The staff moved all of our belongings from one room to another during the day (as understandably we didnt have the time to do this oursleves) , with no hesitation at all. This was a great help. The hotel is very large, and finding your room at first is a bit tricky, but once we got orientated we had no problems. The rooms were very warm, even with the heating turned off, and we had to open the windows wide to stay cool. However, this was just personal preference, as I dont like it to be too warm.

All staff were friendly and helpful, and the reception went without a hitch. The food was lovely and served promptly, with no lengthy gaps in between serving like you sometimes get. Everybody was served quickly and efficiently. A guest at the wedding commented on how it was excellent that the soup was hot, as she has been to many weddings where the soup is served lukewarm. The evening buffet was also lovely and we had no complaints at all from any of our guests. The breakfast had a lovely selection and all family and friends who stayed there were very happy.

I would recommend this hotel for a wedding reception or an overnight stay. It was good value for money with excellent service and staff. I couldn't fault them!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FunnilyEnough
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review of your wedding day and your overnight stay at the hotel. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your big day.

I look forward to welcoming you back again, perhaps to celebrate a future anniversary.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here while visiting my Dad great breakfast! Found the hotel a bit difficult to locate on a houseing estate but appears to have a lovely golf green dont play myself but there were lots of people enjoying themselves. Will return when we come up north again.Young lady on reception excellent check in and out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. The hotel features its own championship golf course which provides wonderful views from the clubhouse.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Martin Hall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Quality Hotel Boldon
#4 of 6 in Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth...
#23 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!