“Girls night in package”

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here with my friends for my 40th had a spa break, was fab value for money excellent service, david the bar manager was excellent nothing was to much trouble, room was clean & modern, leisure facility's were great & spa treatment was define, will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Lyndzey
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had a four night stay here recently on a Grand Uk coach holiday and found this hotel clean and comfortable. My wife and I enjoyed our stay although we thought that queuing up like a bunch of school kids on a school outing for the main course at our evening meal was demeaning. The evening meal service was slow at times as it seems priority was given to guests in the main dinning room (our coach party were segregated in a partititioned off part of the restaurant out of sight of the diners paying for their a la carte meals). Not withstanding, the staff were polite and courteous and as stated, we enjoyed our stay. A word of warning however, if your room is on the ground floor beware of the noise emanating from the room above. The floors in those rooms seem to magnify even the slightest noise. Our room was clean and comfortable, digital tv, iron and ironing board, fridge and a decent selection of coffee, tea and drinking chocolate to chose from. Bathroom was fairly large with a very impressive shower with lots and lots of hot water.

Room Tip: Book an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray B

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the hotel. I am delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I have noted your comments and will ensure improvements are implemented from your feedback as soon as possible.

I do hope to welcome you and your wife back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at the george washington spa hotel. We were very impressed with the size of the family room. Made daily use of the swimming pool, which my daughter loved. The majority of the staff were lovely and really helpful. Our only criticisms are that the breakfast seemed overpriced and so we went out, and on the one occassion we decided to try the restaurant for an evening meal, we really expected something exceptional having seen the prices, but it wasnt great and the staff didnt really seem bothered that there were bits of the meal missing. Desserts werent great and again, staff didnt ask if we wanted the apple caramel slice warmed...it was clearly a bought in catering dessert, so they could have made some attempt to make it seem less so...a bit of whipped cream or hot caramel sauce...anything really.
To summarise, would definitely stay here again for the room and the swimming pool, but wouldnt eat here.
Also, the reception area is quitedark and depressing and if it had a bit more lighting and a few plants or something would be a nice place to sit for a coffee, for when coach loads arrive etc...providing they invested in a decent coffee machine and didnt use restaurant staff to serve it, oh and didnt try and charge over the odds!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank funnystrawberry
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I have noted your comments regarding the restaurant. I will ensure improvements are implemented as soon as possible.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Rooms here are wonderful, staff are courteous, friendly and efficient. Food in my opinion (and coach passengers) is excellent quality with great choice of menu. I would rate this hotel 5+
review on behalf of my dad, Dean who is a Shearings driver who uses this hotel every 2 weeks with passengers returning from Scotland. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sean c

Dear Guest

Thanks for your review. I am glad you have had a good stay with us.

See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is my second time staying her in just over a year. I wrote a review last year in which I praised the hotel and thought it was ideal for golfers.

2nd time around however and standards have certainly slipped. My main gripe is with the food. Last year, there were around 15 of us staying at the weekend on a DB&B package which allowed us to order from the a la carte menu. The food was very good and served to us at our table. This year, we arrived to find that they have removed the a la carte menu at weekends, and instead we were offered a limited set meal menu, from which the main courses we were expected to go and get ourselves from a buffet!! The standard of food was poor to say the least. Breakfast on the first day wasnt any better, with soggy hash browns and taking 15 mins to replace the scrambled egg, which left around 15 people standing around. (it was better 2nd day, not sure if different chef)

i did try and resolve this with the manager and asked for a part refund of the money we paid, however this was ignored which again is very disappointing. The hotel did offer to treat us better if we come back again next year, but I really cant see that happening now - had they reflected our stay by discounting the bill then I would have been happy.

Other aspects of the hotel?
Rooms - No complaints - clean and fridge in the room was helpful.
Staff - Most very helpful and polite
Golf course - Condition wise, this has slipped a bit from last year too. Rough had been left to grow quite substantially which slowed up the round as a lot of people searched for their golf balls.
location - was only 10 mins or so in a taxi into newcastle town centre (£15 or so).

So to sum up, dont think ill be rushing back, which is a shame as the hotel does have positives but food and customer service has let it down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank markj186
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay this year compared to last year.

I would like to assure you that improvements will be implemented from your comments. The gesture of goodwill I offered you and your party was made in a genuine attempt to restore your good faith and reward your loyalty to the hotel and the golf course. I do hope you re-consider as I would very much like to welcome you and your party back to the hotel in 2015.

Kind regards

nd regards, [General Manager Name]
"

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for wedding night and very disappointed. On check in there was a fire Alarm, the reception staff ran from the building and told us to wait a minute, they then went ahead and did there emergency escape plan while we waited at reception, luckily it was a false Alarm. The rio was large but had two beds pushed together which we kept falling down. The balcony outside of the room had bits missing and the wood was rotted so is a health and safety issue and after the cleaners had been there was hair in the bath and on toilet seat. Food was disgusting and staff need to be put on a customer course. Will never stay again and the best Part of this hotel is the road out unless you want a trip back to the early 80s

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Allan666
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements are implemented from your comments immediately.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed overnight on a special deal with a treatment and meal and breakfast next day!!! Great value for money! Meal was absolutely enormous only managed 2 courses not a criticism mind!!! Staff were brilliant! Treatment was amazing well worth our money!! My only issue would be the jacuzzi needed a clean but we did not notice till it turned off and we could not turn back on!!! This was my second time and I will defo go back!!
Rooms were fab very clean indeed well done George Washington!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda O
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I will ensure the Spa Bath cleanliness is reviewed and improved for the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Martin Hall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
3 mi away
#10 of 20 in Gateshead
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!