“i am being generous with an average rating”

Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed 15 July 2014

i am a contractor who works on the railway and i will be lodging in the gateshead area for the next twelve months, i am currently staying in this hotel, the rooms are large and clean but are uncomfotably hot and it is difficult to sleep if you open the windows there is fan type noise that keeps you awake. the food in the restaraunt is very expensive crap and only found one of the serving staff to be polite and looked like they were happy, i waited 25 minutes for a cheese board and the restaraunt was almost empty, i honestly can not see how they justify the £70.00 a night charge for staying here when there are other hotels for a lot less and with miles better food and service. my next email will be to my manager asking him to get me out of here because i have had enough of this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank darrencapper
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I have spoken to your colleague, who I understand authorises hotel reservations and have offered some solutions to your feedback.

I would like to thank you for your comments and I am sure you will experience improvements in the future. Please contact myself or the Duty Manager during your next stay and I am sure we will be able to make you more comfortable.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to stay one night as a relaxing break away!! We were very pleased with the hotel and the facilities. We arrived and were greeted by very nice and polite staff who were more than accommodating. The room was big and the bed massive :). We used the swimming pool, sauna and steam room and felt very comfortable and enjoyed the facilities. If I had to say one disappointment was the jacuzzi was out of order but these things happen! but in an overall experienced we loved it and plan to stay again. :)

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Andykerr1888
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Martial F

Reviewed 12 July 2014

3 course meal lovely for £18. Would go in summer as lovely to sit outside on night. Grounds really well kept. Only complaint would be no air conditioning in room. Luckily had a window to lock open. Bed very big and comfortable. Bathroom modern and clean.Bar reasonable price. Hardly saw staff. Not the best.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel. I will discuss your comments regarding air conditioning for bedrooms at my next review meeting with the hotel's owners.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A bit disappointed. We booked an executive room, the room itself was very nice, big and very clean with a big comfy bed. The room was red hot and when we opened the window the noise from the buildings fans was terrible and we had to close the window. So we cooked all night in a very hot room. The view from the window was the roof of the bar. The noise from the other guests even kept my husband (who can usually sleep through anything) awake. I was lucky to have earplugs to use. Beer bottles were littering corridors both days we were there. pool area was very small and we had to walk through gym in our costumes to get from changing rooms to pool which we both found embarrassing. We didn't eat in hotel so cant comment on food. so in all I was disappointed after paying extra for a better room and having an unconformable night. Will stick with Premier Inn next time

Room Tip: ask for a room that doesn't look out onto roof
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susan t
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements are implemented as soon as possible.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I visited newcastle for the first time for my mates hen party. Staff at the hotel were very welcoming and the serve was excellent! All staff couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly and easy to talk to. None of us wanted to leave!

Will be visiting again!

Anyone who has never been to this hotel has to try it, I am sure you will love it and if you don't, there is something wrong with yoy as the hotel apeals to all ages and needs/wants

Thank you to all staff at the george washington, you made my first visit to Newcastle I brilliant one!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank 824Samantha
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the North East. I hope this will be the first of many visits to the hotel and Newcastle.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here with my friends for my 40th had a spa break, was fab value for money excellent service, david the bar manager was excellent nothing was to much trouble, room was clean & modern, leisure facility's were great & spa treatment was define, will be going back.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Lyndzey
Craiglands, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Martin Hall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
3 mi away
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!