Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Room was large and clean, staff very friendly but expensive bar prices. Long walks through numerous fire doors to get to room. Visit was spoilt by a group of noisy holders who made a lot of noise coming back to their rooms late at night at different times. Good location for visiting Durham, Newcastle ans Sunderland.

Room Tip: Get oboe near reception thus avoiding long walks and fire doors
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Martin H, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel.

I am sorry you were disturbed by other guests returning to the hotel. Please contact Reception and the Night Team will be able to assist.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Good, clean hotel, just off the A1 south of Newcastle. Nice size rooms, clean and quiet (140/142) Staff very friendly and obliging. Good choice of 3 course evening meal for £38 for 2 people. Plenty of choice for breakfast. Both meals came on hot plates, I hate hot food put onto cold plates. Would definitely stay again. We paid £63.50 for B&B which I thought was good.

Room Tip: 140/142 nice quiet rooms.
1  Thank YvonneManchester

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel, especially your evening meal.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Our stay here was disappointing as we were expecting a much higher standard. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable and huge which I loved. Our room (244) was a very long walk from reception negotiating many doors, corridors, up stairs then down stairs! As I am no spring chicken it was a nightmare! We even got lost on one occasion during our 3 night stay. We decided to have room service for our evening meal which was served hot but food only ok. We ordered something different on our 2nd night, hoping the food would be better. Again it was delivered hot which was good but unfortunately the food was not good. I ordered the battered cod and chips which I was really looking forward to but the batter was dark brown to burnt and the fish very dry. It was obvious it had been fried more than once needless to say I didn't eat it. We did not order food there again. The smoke alarm went off on our first morning while we were still in bed (6.45am) which gave us a fright so we were trying to throw clothes on thinking we needed to evacuate but it stopped as we were about to leave the room! We realised it had only gone off in our room. Not sure why! We ordered a paper which we got on our first morning but then failed to appear on the next morning. Our room was not serviced on our second day, again not sure why! When we complained the response wasn't great but one nights meal was refunded. We wouldn't stay here again. Sorry!

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer reception, our room 244 and was a long walk which could be a problem if you ar...
2  Thank CumbriaMazzam

Dear Guest

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. I will ensure improvements are implemented from your comments immediately.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here whilst up north working, If you need a clean bedroom then this is fine. Staff are friendly and rooms are clean. If you are looking for a hotel with character then this probably isn't it. Was awoken at 6am one morning with a fire alarm that went on for several minutes which was a nice surprise. Nice gym and the food was good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harry F
Martin H, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you experienced the friendly hotel team; good cleanliness standards and enjoyable food during your visit to the hotel. I am sorry you were disturbed by the fire alarm. I appreciate this is frustrating, however, guest safety is of paramount importance to the hotel.

I hope welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Have had some quite bad experiences with Mecure in Australia - and realised after I booked - that it was Mecure - so was with some trepidation i checked in
From the moment I arrived - until the time I left - I couldnt find fault with anything. Having had some bad experiences over previous week or so - this place was a breath of fresh air.
Room was big. Access was good - as i have mobility issues.. although there were 2 places that had some stairs so made getting cases in / out a little difficult (but not impossible)
Room service meals were good - portions were quite large and quite a choice.
Housekeeping came by the first day at 830 am to clean the room and i was still in bed . but they were happy to come back later - a very helpful chatty housekeeper who provided me with some local knowledge about shopping.
Check in / check out was easy - no issues at all with anything . and would certainly stay again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SDDarwin
Martin H, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

we stayed here new years eve and had a fantastic time.we booked 3 rooms and they were all nice 2 overlooking the 10th fairway plus 1 on the side.this room had very limited hot water so we were unable to shower.the manager gave us a free bottle of wine for the inconvenience.the food and music was great and everyone thought it was good value.the hotel has an indoor swimming pool and gym as well as the golf course and driving range.breakfast buffet was outstanding and the staff were all very friendly.

Room Tip: high floor room overlooking golf course best
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank graham g
Martin H, General Manager at Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your New Year celebrations. Please accept my sincere apologies once again for the hot water issues, however, I can confirm we had a new hot water system installed in January, so this will ensure no similar instances in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Cannot fault this hotel, staff and service at all. Recently held my wedding here and from the monent we enquired to the moment we left after the wedding all the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and courteous. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was superb and all guests commented on how nice the food was. The layout of the room was exactly how we had imagined. Amanda and Gary were excellent and kept everybody right throughout the day. We stayed at the hotel the night before and night of the wedding and the service was brilliant. Rooms were extremely clean and tidy and housekeeping service was great. We had breakfast both mornings and again couldnt fault the quality and service. Would highly recommend this hotel whether its for a wedding, overnight stay or another event. Service and staff first class.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank JChip2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind review and I am very pleased you enjoyed your special day. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that your comments from your wedding day.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Martin Hall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
Campanile Hotel Washington
Campanile Hotel Washington
#6 of 6 in Washington
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!