Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed 13 August 2010

The room was clean and comfortable with a huge bed.The service in the restaurant was very poor. I waited 30 minutes for my starter to be delivered. The food was average, I had roast lamb which was a bit chewy. The bar was left unattended for long periods which could result in along wait to be served. It may have been unfortunate that my visit coincided with a coach party and they had arranged for entertainment, so the bar was very noisy with loud music coming from the breakfast room. I did not receive the newspaper I ordered. The location is good and this could be a good hotel but these little failings let it down

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank prof_9

Reviewed 14 July 2010

My partner and i stayed at the George Washington hotel for a few nights whilst visiting family in the area. The room was clean and comfortable, the food was beautiful, and staff, from beginning to end, were amazing helpful, especially the receptionist staff. Anything we needed, or needed to know they would help us sort it quickly and efficiantly.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definatley come back again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Only slightly more expensive than a premier inn but with free wifi and breakfast included in the rate I got on Expedia.
The hotel looks a little dated from the outside but the room (although a long walk to get to) was lovely and included all necessaries, and a couple of unexpected extras for a cheap hotel(green tea, a small fridge, nice toiletries, room service). Slept well each night and all staff were friendly and helpful.
I used the gym each night and although not the most hi-tech, it had a small selection of machines, weight-lifting equipment and small lap-pool and sauna/jaccuzi.
When working in Sunderland again I will choose to stay at this hotel

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Stayed hear twice during the last month, and whilst the hotel is reasonable enough, I cannot think of any reason why I would wish to return.

The staff were, by and large, miserable sods. Only one smile during my two stays came from the girl serving the breakfast teas and coffee, the rest just seemed to see everyone as an annoyance.

It is on a golf course and golf courses are not known for their fun and hospitality.

The rooms are fine, but getting any reasonable signal on a mobile phone impossible, it does have free wifi though.

Location wise, I cannot think of why anyone would wish to visit Washington, none at all, other than, like me you were working nearby.

Took a trip to Durham while there and into Sunderland neither too far away.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank SteveBMidlands_UK
Reviewed 1 June 2010

stayed at this hotel for a single night durung a visit to newcastle. Overall was very impressed. check in was a little disappointing as we had to wait 15mins for our room to be prepared even though we had not arrived early.
The room was clean and tidy with everything you'd expect from a hotel available. wi fi was available and free. the health facilies included a gym, sauna, jacuzzi and swimming pool. the equipment in the gym was dated and some of the machines did not work correctly, but it was ok for a work out. the swimming pool was small but adequate for 2 people to do some lenghts in there. again the jacuzzi was ok for about 4 people. when i was in the gym there weren't many people there so space was not really an issue.
The location of the hotel was good. 10mins drive into newcastle or sunderland

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I am an easily pleased person and not one for complaining, however stayed in this hotel with my husband and also friends came to stay at this hotel to spend a couple of days with us. Had a wedding party here & luckily only an evening party , I would have been more disappointed if I had of held my actual wedding here or day time reception! To cut a long story short it was a nightmere, no lifts and lots of heavy doors, carrying a wedding dress, suitcases, a wedding cake etc was almost impossible up the stairs and through the heavy doors. A very noisy hotel, first night no sleep as the room next door kept me awake all night (no guesses why). We had to change room next day because of a mistake of the hotel then also the next night we had to move again!! No compassion from the hotel manager, I mean its not everyday you get married is it ! Not made to feel it was a special time for us at all, all they are bothered about is the money. I could go on and on about this hotel, however all I really wan't to say is don't bother staying here, unprofessional manager which is passed down to the staff and undermines the staff if they make a decision. All in all a bad end to our wedding celebration.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maddog83
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Stayed towards the end of March while on business the room was comfortable and clean. The staff where friendly and helpful and the food was pretty good. Decided to use the spa for a sauna and jacuzzi however found that to get in from the changing room required walking through the gym in your swimming gear which I thought was a bit, strange the jacuzzi was extremly small and with more than two people in it was a bit too cosy.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
3 mi away
#10 of 20 in Gateshead
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!