“Very Good B&B Pub”
Review of Victoria Inn

Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Washington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 March 2014

A wonderful pub/B&B venue. My only personal gripe was the lack of real ale at the bar but I can overlook that. The bottled Newcastle Brown is a good substitute and, as they say - " When in Rome ... ,etc.
A great breakfast was provided by co-proprietor Lynda who along with Chris couldn't be more pleasant and helpful. We didn't get the name of the young lady behind the bar during our 2-night stay but she was exceedingly pleasant as well.
I would also recommend trying the pub menu for evening meals, it's good standard pub grub.
It's fair to say that our room could be described as basic but nevertheless comfortable and all we required for our trip. My wife was happy with it and long experience has taught me that she can be hard to please in these sort of matters.
We are likely to be back. We have a relative who lives just a mile or so down the road and The Victoria is ideal accommodation for any visits.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We used this pub as a base for some family visits in the area. It caters mostly for working technicians servicing local industry, but the rooms are all twins or doubles, so it was great for our purposes. The room was small but the beds were comfortable and we were warm for the entire stay. The bathroom has a power shower, which was easy to use and kept to the temperature set. Small word of warning: the toilet is emptied using Saniflo, so there is some noise on flushing, but nothing problematic.
Although above a public house, the room was quiet and we slept well.
Breakfasts are generous; I had the full English and it kept me going for the rest of the day. My wife doesn't eat meat but had a good choice of cereals and plenty of toast. No Continental option. We ate at the pub twice in the evenings and the meals were typical bar food; but particularly well cooked and full of flavour. Really good pub grub at very reasonable prices.
Chris and Lynda, and the girls behind the bar were all very friendly and accommodating. Will we go again? Certainly!

Room Tip: The rooms furthest down the corridors are likely to be the quietest, though, to be honest, noise was...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart A
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A six night stay left me feeling that I had made a bad mistake in booking this accommodation for a short work contract in Sunderland. On arrival, I was shown to a twin room with two single beds that is best described as basic. Each bed had a thin summer weight duvet on it and the room had a single wardrobe. It reminded me a little of university halls of residence. There was no bedside lighting and the central ceiling light reminded me of an emergency exit light.

There was no fitted shower cabinet in the en-suite part of the accommodation (a room separated by a door) with a bath and a toilet. The bath was in the middle of the bathroom and had two plastic curtains, one on either side of the bath, to contain water from the tap driven shower. Any water activity from the toilet, sink or bath taps was accompanied by a periodic loud noise from some form of electric pump. One could hear the noise made by the system when other adjacent rooms were in use.

The bathroom and bedroom were heated by a single radiator each and one could adjust the heat. Sadly, the heat was turned off at around midnight and somewhat inexplicably; between about 6pm and 8 pm every evening. The heating was turned back on around 7.30am but the water and radiators did not warm up until around 7.50am. I was surprised by this. I usually get up at around 6.00am for a shower and expect to breakfast by 7.00am so that I can get to work.

Cold water and a very cold room makes me feel that the proprietors did not care about their guests. During my stay the weather had taken a turn for the worst and temperatures of -2 degrees Celsius overnight were the norm. Taking payment for a room and then not heating it is not the way to conduct business, in my opinion, and it earned the Victoria Inn its first black mark.

Another black mark was due to the lack of cleaning that was visible in the dirt along the top of the toilet bowl. I had noticed that the toilet seat was broken on one side and it remained broken throughout my stay. When lifting it on the first night of my stay, a little dust had fallen onto the bowl rim. It too had remained there for the duration go my stay.

Breakfast is not something upon which I can comment, for I never received any, having had to leave for work at around 7.15am to arrive at work by 8.00am. It is apparently served at 7.30am each day. No sandwiches, cereal or hot drink were offered when I had made it clear to the landlady that I would need to leave for work earlier than 7.30am. Breakfast was still charged on my bill. Another black mark and this business is starting to look badly organised to my eyes.

I had eaten several evening meals in the pub section of the Inn. They were average meals, presented reasonably. One evening, I ordered a well done steak and it turned up rare and dripping blood. I supposed the bar staff had not paid attention to my order. It was convenient to come back from a day's work and eat in the bar and I did this for three nights in a row. On the fourth night of my six night stay (Monday to Saturday) I asked for the menu in the bar and was told that no meals are served on Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings. Perhaps I expected too much from the proprietors... it would have been nice to be told that no food was available in the evenings for two nights of my stay after I had established a pattern of eating in the bar over a three night period or when I had booked in. Another demerit earned for the lack of consideration for their customer.

On my final morning (Sunday), I was able to stay a little later. I thought that I could get some breakfast and get to work for a nine o'clock start. I was packed and ready to leave at 7.30 am and the room and water were still cold. I was forced to boil a kettle of water so that I could at least wash and shave before going to work. The whole Inn was quiet and in darkness and the connecting door to the eating area was locked shut as were the main doors of the establishment.

I had wanted to eat breakfast and to pay my bill and neither seemed possible. I was concerned about being late for work and eventually at 7.47am I got an answer to my mobile phone call to the Inn. An irritated sounding chap (proprietor) asked what I wanted and I told him that I had wanted to pay my bill and leave my keys. He appeared some time later and I was able to pay my bill and leave by 08.03am. There was no offer of breakfast made to me. Not even so much as a cup of tea and it was below freezing outside with several degrees of frost visible on my car windows.

This misconduct earned a final black mark for the inhospitable, money grabbing and indifferent service that I experienced at Victoria Inn. Would I recommend it to anyone I know? Absolutely not! Would I recommend it to anyone else in need of accommodation in the Washington area? In all honesty, I cannot do that. Five black marks rather than five gold stars and all were earned because of an abject failure to get any of the basics right.

In my view, the proprietors ought to take notice that they fall a long way below even basic decent standards; where they are offering accommodation for money. I am one seriously unhappy client and I will never return to the Victoria Inn, not even for free.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeff C
Chris C, Owner at Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

IN response to this review, please read all reviews from people who stay with us. when booking with us it is made quite clear through the web sites and our own litriture ,that breakfast is from 7.30 am ..and we do not open our kitchen for evening meals Friday .Saturday and Sunday. This guest was unsure about the time he would have to leave to reach his place of work, and asked if at all possible he could have breakfast around 6.30 am. As we are a family run business who attend to everything i am sure you can understand that running this type of business along with a public house is very long hours. this guest agreed to have breakfast at our normal times,,,,we set a place each morning for him ! along with our other guests. All our rooms are kept clean and well maintained, never during his stay did he complain about any aspect of our business. In response to the toilet seat we had not noticed the problem nor had he complained about it .. Our drainage system is controled by a Saniflow system which will work only when water is being used or left running..a great system to aid the enviromental issues we have these days..It is plain to see we did not fill this guests expectations.and welcome any inspection to prove our standing,,as certified by Quality in Tourism.
Little Man SYNDRUM speaks volums.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Rooms above a pub, yet no trouble with any noise. Off course if you have your windows open and the people are sitting outside you will hear them.

Bathroom has a drainige system that makes a lot of noise flushing, using the sink or the shower. Sometimes it also gives a funky smell. The bathroom itself is outdated. Pieces look like the won't hold for long.

Bedroom 2 single beds and a extra single was placed aditionally so it is a 3bed room. Due to that 3rd bed the room is a bit crowded. and the space to put your suitcases is a bare minimum.

Breakfast is good. A full english breakfast is availible and a few different options if you want something else.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fiona v
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My wife were attending a wedding locally, and stayed here, just for the one night, as the nearest available B and B accommodation, and weren't expecting that much. But what we received was the warmest of welcomes by the proprietors Chris and Lynda. The room, was good, clean and the beds were very comfortable, there was plenty of towels, and the shower/toilet facilities were excellent.. We decided to have dinner there at lunchtime, and I ordered a Steak and my wife had lasagna, which was home made and fresh. There was plenty of it, and well presented with salad, and such wonderful chips too. We had the Breakfast in the morning, a full English, and was one of the biggest English Breakfasts I have ever had, and this maintained us for almost the entire day. This deserves all its good reviews, and though its a Public House, doing Bed and Breakfast, impressed us more than several hotels we have visited in the past, and I thoroughly recommend the Victoria Inn to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stormcrow
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for work. The family are lovely and they do great deals on food. They have a steak night Wednesday and Thursday I think it was and it was divine! The rooms are set out well, clean and the locals are very friendly. The pub downstairs has a few game nights which were quite fun. If you go to this area definitely stay here .. You won't be Unsatisfied :))

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 8 August 2012

first time here going to pelaw greyhounds excellent service food and drink nice clean accomadation,just booked to go back for the 1st ov sep would reccomend to anyone as a decent friendly place to stay,location for us was just what we required

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!