“Very clean and excellent staff”

Holiday Inn Washington
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This was our first visit to the hotel since it changed from the Posthouse Washington (many years ago). The staff were efficient and welcoming, the room was extremely clean and the breakfast was excellent. BUT, it lacks the warmth and friendliness of the Posthouse days. It is now too clinical and the restaurant would be better for some fabric curtains - the white net curtains made the place feel cold.

Room Tip: The bathrooms in a Superior Rooms are better and larger than the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to note what an enjoyable and comfortable stay you had with us. I will certainly share your comments regarding the clinical feel of the net curtains when we next review our soft furnishings.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

As an IHG Priority Club Platinum member I tend to stay in this groups hotels if I can. When in the North East I always stay here. As the title of this review says, "Not much to look at". The outer appearance is not very encouraging. But please, don't let this put you off. This short coming is totaly wiped out by the quality of the staff. They are almost entirely fantastic. In particular the Norfolk lad behind the bar. A real character, just what you need in that position. The standard is maintained through out the business. Reception, restaurant, housekeeping.... All with a smile and cheery greeting.
I recently left behind a jacket containing my passportwhen checking out. As I was to travel overseas the following week, this was rateher a problem. Upon telephoning the hotel, I was assured that the jacket would be sent to my home address. Sure enough, 2 days later, a recorded delivey arrived. Great service thank you!
Other reviewers have listed the short comings, yes coach parties are a bit of a pain, but eat in the bar or down the road on those nights. The wifi/internet, a must for business travellers, is expensive. However, the value for money cost of the stay can balance this out.
I'm looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Get one looking out to the south or west. The ones on the upper floors have great views
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rob S

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel recently.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoy your stays with us here in the North East, and in particular how great you find the team, in particular of course the barman you mention - rest assured your kind comments have been shared.

I am glad we managed to get your jacket and passport back to you in time for your trip.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

For the purpose of my review bias, for the last 10 years I have stayed approximately 100 nights a year in the Intercontinental / Holiday Inn Group chain. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last 10 years. The Holiday Inn at Washington is a fair to middling standard Holiday Inn chain hotel.
My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows:
1) Arrival is easy using the supplied sat nav and post code address instructions
2) On arrival at the hotel the check in staff are pleasant and friendly
3) Check in is simple and easy. The reception area is the typical open plan area leading to the bar, breakfast/ dining areas which were always well kept, tidy and clean.
4) At the time of my visit there had been a lot of rain (which meant a lot of buckets in corridors catching drips of water from the roof in the corridors)
5) The rooms are not exactly what you would expect from a Holiday Inn chain brand as they are a little tired, whilst attention has been made to the reception area’s in recent years, the corridors and rooms have not had the same attention.
6) On arrival my bathroom was still covered in the previous occupants long hair in the sink.
7) I’m not a fan of the expensive {about £10} (previously experienced poor quality ingredients) breakfast, so this was not experienced on this visit
8) This hotel is not particularly close to any decent restaurants which are car ride away, about 100 meters away is a local restaurant” but this was not reviewed on this visit.
9) Check out, is normally a pain free process with the helpful staff, in summary 3.5/5 for an average Holiday Inn that just needs some better closer amenities, better food and slightly updated rooms.
10 ) As a Platinum Priority member I received no free upgrade, I did however receive a small bag of odd offers and a chocolate bar ( not quite the same) {see photo}

Room Tip: Not really sure if I can help here, received NO UPGRADE as a platinum priority member
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Dear theresaheadinit,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted you were satisfied with your check-in and check out experience as well as at the breakfast and dining areas. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment you had with your room accommodations and the services you received. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

We value you as our Priority Club Platinum Member and we hope to have another chance to host you again.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel 23/11 on a business trip to the North-East. Very close to Newcastle Airport (20 mins)and pretty central for the area.
Staff were very friendly and my room, 501 was spacious and quiet, with the usual Holiday Inn decor. The hotel seemed very quiet with plenty of empty tables in the restaurant, but both the service and the food were good, the latter being quite expensive though.
Back in the room, the heating was very efficient, but there is still the old problem of the summer duvet...it was freezing at night with no spare blanket so I ended up sleeping in my bath robe....come on HI get the winter duvets out...they're not that much more expensive and your guests will enjoy a better nights sleep.
Breakfast was the normal fair with excellent service.
All in all I'd recommend this as an excellent business stop if you're working in the Newcastle/Durham area, and if you're shopping its just down the road from the Metro centre.

Room Tip: 501 on ... spacious and quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to read what an enjoyable stay you had, and would like to thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

This hotel is tired and the hair in the bathroom was bad enough, but the partying in the corridors at 3am by drunken and loud louts made this a night from hell. One can understand a bit of noise on a Saturday night but management should have better control over what goes on in its hotel. The rooms are definitely not sound proof and we had noise from the motorway, the car park, the corridor and the rooms next to us. Not a nice experience and I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

I was very disappointed to hear that your stay was spoiled by some thoughtless and disruptive individuals staying on the same night. This is certainly not the norm and I have asked the nights team to review their operations to avoid any repetition of this unfortunate incident.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in more detail personally if you would like to do so. Please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

£42 a night at the weekend and ten minutes from the metro centre. It's easy to find as you go along a1 it can't be missed but we had no road noise. Rooms a little dated but a comfy bed, big telly and a bath what more can you ask for. I have stayed a better holiday inns but value was excellent. There are a couple of restaurants close by. A great choice if you want a cheap night away Christmas shopping at the metro.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to hear that you found your stay enjoyable and great value for money. We are indeed well located for the Metro Centre and for Newcastle and the surrounding areas.

We hope to welcome you back in the not to distant future - maybe for some Christmas shopping or the January sales!

Reviewed 16 November 2012

This Hotel is ageing and in need of refurbishment. Bathrooms are small and grubby. Rooms are dusty. Beds are comfortable with a choice of soft and firm pillows. Internet is not free, hello we are in the year 2012. Nearly everywhere else has free wifi so it is not ideal for business trips. The staff are friendly. The resturant has good days and bad days probably dependant on the chef. The carvery is excellent value for money, the bar is pricey.

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Washington.

I was disappointed that you found the cleanliness lacking on this occasion, you will see that this is an area that normally scores highly in our reviews and I apologise if this wasn't the case when you stayed. I have asked the Housekeeping Manager to review this.

We have recently reduced the cost of internet and your comments will be fed back as we review this service moving forwards.

I was glad to read that you found the bed and pillows to be comfortable. The carvery is indeed great value for money and we also offer two other theme nights each week with a Mexican or Asian theme.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future and if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please do give me a call personally at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Francis Hindle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!