“Lovely stay”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed for two nights when we went up to see the Lindisfarne Gospel in Durham.
We found the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful. The room was very comfortable and really quite spacious. We ate one evening in the hotel and the food was excellent with a wide choice. We particularly enjoyed the small deserts with a coffee. The buffet breakfast was excellent and plentiful.

The hotel is so convenient for the area and was very easy to get to being so near to the A1. We decided to try and get into Durham on public transport and the staff directed us to the nearby bus stop where we caught a bus into the heart of Durham. With Newcastle only a short drive away we found the hotel to be so convenient when visiting the area.

1 Thank 99Jackie
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read what a great stay you had and how well the hotel worked for you spending time in Durham to see the Lindisfarne Gospels.

We hope to welcome you back again some time in the future to explore more of what the North East has to offer.

Francis Hindle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Londoner in SW
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just returned from a 3-night stay at Holiday Inn Washington.

Part of our first official coach tour and possibly our last!

First the good points.
The room was adequate, the beds were comfy and the air conditioning kept the room at a good comfortable temperature. The shower was great, plenty of hot water. It was pretty clean, but your bog standard corporate style hotel. Dated but it served its purpose. Flat screen telly. Lifts were fast but small. The room was surprisingly quiet, despite being near the lifts.

Breakfast was mostly acceptable. A tad cold on some mornings and eggs either under or over cooked and wallowing in a thick layer of oil, but otherwise not too bad (had worse at four star hotels!). Staff replenish the food plates fairly regularly and the breakfast staff were helpful and accommodating. Special thanks to Taylor and Eileen. Unfortunately they had to suffer some unacceptable behaviour from some of the guests – no wonder they were slow to engage at times. A good choice of options at breakfast including fruit and yoghurt, pastries, toast and a range of hot breakfast items – choose what you want. Tip – make your toast first and then get your hot breakfast, otherwise it all goes cold in the toast queue. And if the toaster is cremating the bread or turfing out warm bread then ask the staff to adjust it.

Then a bit of a moan (actually a lot of a moan).

I’ve never been on a coach tour before and to be honest felt we were treated like second-class citizens at this hotel. Though to be fair, some of the behaviour of other guests did leave a lot to be desired.
The evening meal was vile. Think hospital food and then boil it up a bit more. Sorry, but I was astounded to learn that there was a chef in the kitchen. Granted they are coping with hundreds of people at once, but that shouldn’t be a surprise when you have several coaches booked in. There is no excuse for watered down soup and it was so watered down it was tasteless. There is no excuse for inedible soup either. Two out of three nights the soup starter was disgusting. Didn’t eat it. It’s really not difficult to make a good vegetable soup. One night there was a meat pie; I say meat as I have no idea what it was; it was lumpy, runny mince in gravy topped with lovely looking puff pastry, looked OK until you cut into it. I didn’t eat it, but it looked vile. The veggie options were a disgrace. Creamy vegetable risotto, just rice mixed with a mixed veg and cream. Another night stuffed roast peppers - sounded nice, but they were just half sweet peppers filled with cooked long grain rice with a bit ( a small bit) of cheese on the top (tasteless, uninspired and hardly any protein). The seasonal vegetables were boiled to death and completely flavourless, or hard and inedible. Carrots really don’t need to be tasteless. Cook them with a little honey. Choose veg that don’t deteriorate for large parties, even peas would have been a better choice. Oven chips? Or tasteless roasties? Your choice. Eugh. Scruffy fruit salads and bought in deserts were just about edible but no flavour or finesse and really not inspiring. Come on Holiday Inn, we might be a coach party but most of us still have tastebuds and teeth. I am sure you’ve been beaten down on costs for bulk bookings, but every one of us staying is a person that needs some sustenance, good food doesn't need to be expensive. Many of our party are travellers that would book a holiday Inn again, well if they had been well looked after here they might, but for any that had never stayed with HI before, I doubt you’ll get many repeat bookings from them.

WI-FI – given that the majority of those staying when we stayed were OAPS, the percentage needing WI-FI is minimal. Why the extortionate costs? It’s free next door?? How insulting.

We had trouble getting decent TV reception on the first night. Not an emergency, just annoying. Called down to the front desk for advice. About 8pm. The phone rang and rang and rang and rang for a good FIVE MINUTES probably more. No wonder there’s an emergency button on the phone pad - heaven help anyone that has an emergency, assuming that that gets answered as quickly. The girl on reception said she’d send someone up, she was too busy with guests to discuss. No one came. We waited for an hour and then exhausted from our travels put a DND on the door, as there seemed little point cancelling the appointment. No idea if anyone even bothered to come up.

We found the majority of the rest of the staff lackadaisical, ‘am I bovveered’ attitude, a real low morale and strange, barely attentive approach to guests. We didn’t of course encounter all of them, so apologies to the rest. We found that if you engaged with them, a few lit up and glowed, perhaps a symptom of the attitude of some of the guests. But overall we were very disappointed with customer service and guest liaison - Suspect they are underpaid and overworked. There was a wedding on while we were there and I would guess that they needed extra support staff to cope with the several coaches too.

Location – the hotel is adjacent to the motorway on a services site (industrial wasteland) with a few other ‘hotels’ and services. Do not imagine you can go for a stroll unless you like car parks and fast traffic. The car park isn’t particularly well designed, our coach had to go over kerbing to get parked.

Feedback – there’s a box for guest questionnaires in the reception area, but there was no questionnaire in our room. When I asked for one as we checked out, the receptionist looked in a couple of files and couldn’t find one. Draw your own conclusions.

Rack rate – the rack rate for this hotel was published behind the desk as £140 per night. Not sure if that included breakfast. Our four day, three night tour was around £240 so there is no way our tour company paid that rate, however, whatever the cost, there is no excuse for bad to average customer service, poor, unappetizing food and general lethargy.

I didn't choose to stay here and I certainly wouldn't choose to stay with HI again if this is representative of the quality of service and food. If it's convenient for your needs then a night, or two at the most is bearable. But don't choose it for a special break or occassion.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
Dear Reviewer

I was extremely disappointed to read your recent review following your stay with us and I am very sorry that the hotel did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Your feedback on the evening food is particularly disappointing and I have asked our Head Chef to review the weekend service with his team to identify the issues you raised and address them.

Your feedback on customer service is very unusual and as you will see from the majority of our reviews this normally scores highly - I am sorry you didn't find this during your stay and I will share your feedback with the team and work with them to improve this during busy times like this weekend.

WiFi is an area we are working on to begin to offer this free to all of our guests and we will be making some steps towards this in the coming months.

Thank you for your candid feedback, if you would like to discuss it personally then feel free to contact me at the hotel directly on 0191 418 9400 and I will be happy to do so.

Francis Hindle

Travellers are raving about these Washington hotels

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Met with a warm welcome which was great and having ihg card meant I was offered free drink. The room, whilst normal holiday inn, was looking tired - the view from the 4 th floor was good. Location by the A1 was perfect for us

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to hear that you were met with such a warm welcome and received your complimentary IHG Rewards Club drink at the bar. It's great to hear that the location worked well for you and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Our room had the heating stuck full on, despite the outside temperature in the low 20's. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, and offered a change of room.
The room was quiet, comfortable and clean, but showing signs of age. We ate in the hotel every evening and the food was very good. Breakfast buffet tended to run out but was quickly topped up.
The staff were unfailingly welcoming, helpful and cheerful.
Downside; drinks were expensive, and please, why no free wifi when the hotel next door offers it?
The charge for wifi was very steep.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to hear how great the team had been, we pride ourselves on our guest service and it is always a pleasure to hear when this has been appreciated - many thanks.

As a company we are moving towards free WiFi for all of our IHG Rewards Guests in 2014. IHG Rewards Club is our industry leading loyalty scheme and is free to join.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Huddersfield, England
Reviewed 24 September 2013

A glass of wine at the bar costs between £5 and £6!!!

Now I've got that out of the way, my family and I stopped one night here and I thought the room decor was dated, however the room was very clean, perfectly functional and we all had a good nights sleep. Our room (401) had a LG flat screen tv, a nice powerful hot shower and tea and coffee facilities. We overlooked the rear car park and were worringly near the lifts, but thankfully disturbance from other guests and traffic noise from the nearby roads were all but non-existant.

The buffet breakfast provided plenty of choice, however the quality wasn't the best. I like a full english, but the plain sausages were... well... very plain, I suppose, although cumberland were also available. The yolks on the fried eggs were hard, the hash browns were soggy and the beans had been in the microwave too long. The bacon and the button mushrooms were good though. I didn't try the tomatoes or the black pudding.

There were plenty of other options too. Toast, croissants, bread rolls, fresh fruit, yoghurts, ham, cheese, cook-your-own pancakes, etc.

I was pleased we booked here at a discount because, if I'd had paid the full tariff I would have felt very hard done to.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of Holiday Inn Washington here on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to note that on the whole you found the hotel and its facilities to your liking. I have note your comments about the bar prices, and I have also asked our Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to look into your feedback about some of the hot breakfast items to ensure this is addressed moving forwards.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Brightlingsea, Essex
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed at this Hotel for one night on 11th September. Hotel looked nice on arrival, very clean looking. Reception staff bright and cheerful. Room overlook car park, could see the A1 from the window, but didn't hear a lot from it. Room was clean and tidy, huge bed, 7ft wide ! We ate in the restaurant in the evening and for breakfast, food was good plentiful and hot ! Staff very helpful. Convenient location just off the A1, will use again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here in Washington on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that the hotel worked so well for you and that you had an enjoyable time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Only a last-minute booking for a single night - if I'd paid the full rate, I'd have been asking for money back.
All staff, from reception to housekeeping to bar to restaurant were extremely friendly & helpful and couldn't do enough to please.
The hotel itself however - dated & tatty.
The first room we were given had a toilet that didn't flush. We were told that the hotel weren't expecting a new part until next week & that they didn't have another room to offer.
A drink voucher each was all they could offer.
After about 15 minutes, another room was found and we were moved.
The second room had mould on the bath seal, dirty sink plughole & paint coming off the bathroom door. (photos added)
Not what I would expect from a 3* hotel.
The bar was an extension of the reception area - not great & not particularly well-stocked.
The restaurant offered a carvery on the night we were there - ham & turkey only with no beef, lamb or pork on offer. Vegetables were a limited choice & all had suffered from over-exposure on a hot plate.
Breakfast was buffet-style & O.K. but suffered from a coach party "hoovering up" stuff to make their lunchtime sandwiches.
I'd look elsewhere next time.

1 Thank Martyn B
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was disappointed to read your recent review, and to hear that the hotel didn't live up to your expectations on this occasion.

I was of course nevertheless delighted to hear that the team had really shone and gone out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

I have noted your comments regarding the rooms and will ensure these are addressed immediately. With regard to the carvery option during your stay, this is limited as it is in addition to our full A La Carte menu which is also available every day, but it should of course still be appetising and fresh and I have shared your feedback with the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to address.

If you would like to discuss any of your concerns with me personally please feel free to call me at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Francis Hindle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 19 in Durham
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!