I had stayed the previous night at HI Jesmond which appears been recently refurbed and is very modern so my review of this hotel is a little tainted by that.
Loads of free parking and easy access to the A1M
Checkin was busy when I arrived (around 3pm) with only 2 staff on the desk but I got seen to quick enough. Slight hiccup, they could see my reservation on the system but couldn't check me in for reasons I couldn't understand. It was resolved after 10 mins or so, not the end of the world for me as I wasn't in a rush.
Rooms are decent size but in need of modernisation, as is the rest of the hotel including the exterior (bear in mind I'm comparing this to my stay at HI Jesmond the previous night!)
WIFI is chargeable (big bugbear of mine), however the speed is pretty good so downloading films & TV series on the iPad was not an issue. But by some stroke of luck, I wasn't charged for WIFI, i mentioned this at checkout and they said nothing was showing up on my account, bonus!
Evening meals were not to my taste. The menu was fairly basic and I was disappointed with what I ordered on my first night (sausage & mash - I thought this would be a safe choice!!) and it was buffet curry night on my 2nd night, again, very disappointing food. Staff service was excellent however, as was the breakfast buffet.
Checkout was slow as somebody in front of me was quibbling their bill, there was only 1 member of staff on the desk so everybody in the queue had to wait as no other staff were called to assist.
Overall, I think this hotel was decent value and more than adequate but I would be inclined to try elsewhere before I book here again. Or maybe I'm being a little too fussy as a result of staying in Jesmond the night before.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Washington is an ideally located hotel, just off the A1M junction 64. Centrally located between, Historic Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle City The hotel offers a 'Go Green' Environmental Room in association with Tree Appealplanting trees on site and across the UK. This is a well established, comfortable hotel, with free car parking, noted for its friendly staff. The Hotel has a Traders Restaurant a newly refurbished lounge and bar area.Kids Stay & Eat Free*. The hotel has 136 fully air conditioned bedrooms, including family and accessible rooms. Only a short drive from Europes largest Shopping Centre - the Metrocentre, Newcastle City Centre, the award winning Beamish Open Air Museum, Sunderland Glass Centre and Durham County Cricket Ground. The North East coastline and Angel of the North are also within close driving distance.*Terms & Conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, IHG, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Washington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Washington Hotel Washington
- Washington Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Washington Tyne And Wear