“Ok but needs modernising!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Washington

Holiday Inn Washington
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Preston, United Kingdom
“Ok but needs modernising!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had stayed the previous night at HI Jesmond which appears been recently refurbed and is very modern so my review of this hotel is a little tainted by that.

Loads of free parking and easy access to the A1M

Checkin was busy when I arrived (around 3pm) with only 2 staff on the desk but I got seen to quick enough. Slight hiccup, they could see my reservation on the system but couldn't check me in for reasons I couldn't understand. It was resolved after 10 mins or so, not the end of the world for me as I wasn't in a rush.

Rooms are decent size but in need of modernisation, as is the rest of the hotel including the exterior (bear in mind I'm comparing this to my stay at HI Jesmond the previous night!)

WIFI is chargeable (big bugbear of mine), however the speed is pretty good so downloading films & TV series on the iPad was not an issue. But by some stroke of luck, I wasn't charged for WIFI, i mentioned this at checkout and they said nothing was showing up on my account, bonus!

Evening meals were not to my taste. The menu was fairly basic and I was disappointed with what I ordered on my first night (sausage & mash - I thought this would be a safe choice!!) and it was buffet curry night on my 2nd night, again, very disappointing food. Staff service was excellent however, as was the breakfast buffet.

Checkout was slow as somebody in front of me was quibbling their bill, there was only 1 member of staff on the desk so everybody in the queue had to wait as no other staff were called to assist.

Overall, I think this hotel was decent value and more than adequate but I would be inclined to try elsewhere before I book here again. Or maybe I'm being a little too fussy as a result of staying in Jesmond the night before.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed some great service at the the hotel and found the stay to be good value.

We are working towards a solution in 2014 where internet access will be available free of charge to all IHG Reward Club members which I know will be well received.

I have noted your additional feedback and have discussed it with the relevant members of my management team in order to drive some positive outcomes from this.

I hope you will consider staying with us again and if I can be of any personal assistance do not hesitate to call me on 0191 418 9400.

Francis Hindle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here for one night in September whilst working in the area. Due to work commitments I did not arrive until after 11pm and was checked in within a few seconds.

I was upgraded to one of the executive rooms on the fifth floor which was spacious and very comfortable whilst wifi was available free and the room had been thoroughly cleaned. During the night there were no disturbances and I slept well.

I ordered a sandwich from room service as hot food was not available due to the time. It was delivered promptly and was fresh. Breakfast in the morning was very good with an excellent choice available which was well presented and was fresh.

Overall a good stay and excellent value for money, I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to receive your great feedback in your recent review here on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

staffs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

One night stop on bed and breakfast basis. The reception staff efficient and friendly. Reception area housed the small bar and a few seats. Disabled lift on offer. Bedroom usual furniture, full bath and powerful shower. The full english breakfast was excellent and after check out a nice touch by way of the free offer of a take away coffee in poly cup. If you want to be between Sunderland and Newcastle then you can't go wrong staying here. Good rates on offer from various booking sites.

1 Thank carwashr
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to receive your feedback here on TripAdvisor and thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I have shared your kind comments regarding service with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

goole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stayed here for a couple nights and thought it very good accommodation great ; food great ; staff great and very helpful - pity the wifi is not free! I considered this to be a big let down. (take your dongle)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rednimrod
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel here on TripAdvisor, i was delighted that you found your stay to be excellent.

I do note your comments regarding internet and we are in the process of working on a solution to provide it free of charge for all users from next year.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Extremely disappointed with this hotel: rip-off bar prices (over £6 for a glass of simple wine!! lager also very dear); extortionate wi-fi charges when the hotel next door provides it free; noisy bedroom facing the A1 even though the room was double glazed; and very little vegetarian choice at dinner. Worst of all there was a wedding reception on the Saturday night that took over the whole place with loud music playing till midnight. Will try to avoid Holiday Inns in future.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing away from the A1
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JeffandLes
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was sorry to read that the hotel did not live up to your expectations when you visited recently.

It is unusual for a wedding to have such a negative impact on other guests' stay here in Washington so I am sorry you didn't find this to be the case and have asked the team to review the music levels with DJ's in future if there are any concerns.

I have also noted your concerns about the bar and Wifi prices. We are working on rolling out free Wifi to all of our guests in the future and this will begin over the next few months.

Francis Hindle

Travellers are raving about these Washington hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed for two nights when we went up to see the Lindisfarne Gospel in Durham.
We found the staff to be friendly and extremely helpful. The room was very comfortable and really quite spacious. We ate one evening in the hotel and the food was excellent with a wide choice. We particularly enjoyed the small deserts with a coffee. The buffet breakfast was excellent and plentiful.

The hotel is so convenient for the area and was very easy to get to being so near to the A1. We decided to try and get into Durham on public transport and the staff directed us to the nearby bus stop where we caught a bus into the heart of Durham. With Newcastle only a short drive away we found the hotel to be so convenient when visiting the area.

1 Thank 99Jackie
Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read what a great stay you had and how well the hotel worked for you spending time in Durham to see the Lindisfarne Gospels.

We hope to welcome you back again some time in the future to explore more of what the North East has to offer.

Londoner in SW
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just returned from a 3-night stay at Holiday Inn Washington.

Part of our first official coach tour and possibly our last!

First the good points.
The room was adequate, the beds were comfy and the air conditioning kept the room at a good comfortable temperature. The shower was great, plenty of hot water. It was pretty clean, but your bog standard corporate style hotel. Dated but it served its purpose. Flat screen telly. Lifts were fast but small. The room was surprisingly quiet, despite being near the lifts.

Breakfast was mostly acceptable. A tad cold on some mornings and eggs either under or over cooked and wallowing in a thick layer of oil, but otherwise not too bad (had worse at four star hotels!). Staff replenish the food plates fairly regularly and the breakfast staff were helpful and accommodating. Special thanks to Taylor and Eileen. Unfortunately they had to suffer some unacceptable behaviour from some of the guests – no wonder they were slow to engage at times. A good choice of options at breakfast including fruit and yoghurt, pastries, toast and a range of hot breakfast items – choose what you want. Tip – make your toast first and then get your hot breakfast, otherwise it all goes cold in the toast queue. And if the toaster is cremating the bread or turfing out warm bread then ask the staff to adjust it.

Then a bit of a moan (actually a lot of a moan).

I’ve never been on a coach tour before and to be honest felt we were treated like second-class citizens at this hotel. Though to be fair, some of the behaviour of other guests did leave a lot to be desired.
The evening meal was vile. Think hospital food and then boil it up a bit more. Sorry, but I was astounded to learn that there was a chef in the kitchen. Granted they are coping with hundreds of people at once, but that shouldn’t be a surprise when you have several coaches booked in. There is no excuse for watered down soup and it was so watered down it was tasteless. There is no excuse for inedible soup either. Two out of three nights the soup starter was disgusting. Didn’t eat it. It’s really not difficult to make a good vegetable soup. One night there was a meat pie; I say meat as I have no idea what it was; it was lumpy, runny mince in gravy topped with lovely looking puff pastry, looked OK until you cut into it. I didn’t eat it, but it looked vile. The veggie options were a disgrace. Creamy vegetable risotto, just rice mixed with a mixed veg and cream. Another night stuffed roast peppers - sounded nice, but they were just half sweet peppers filled with cooked long grain rice with a bit ( a small bit) of cheese on the top (tasteless, uninspired and hardly any protein). The seasonal vegetables were boiled to death and completely flavourless, or hard and inedible. Carrots really don’t need to be tasteless. Cook them with a little honey. Choose veg that don’t deteriorate for large parties, even peas would have been a better choice. Oven chips? Or tasteless roasties? Your choice. Eugh. Scruffy fruit salads and bought in deserts were just about edible but no flavour or finesse and really not inspiring. Come on Holiday Inn, we might be a coach party but most of us still have tastebuds and teeth. I am sure you’ve been beaten down on costs for bulk bookings, but every one of us staying is a person that needs some sustenance, good food doesn't need to be expensive. Many of our party are travellers that would book a holiday Inn again, well if they had been well looked after here they might, but for any that had never stayed with HI before, I doubt you’ll get many repeat bookings from them.

WI-FI – given that the majority of those staying when we stayed were OAPS, the percentage needing WI-FI is minimal. Why the extortionate costs? It’s free next door?? How insulting.

We had trouble getting decent TV reception on the first night. Not an emergency, just annoying. Called down to the front desk for advice. About 8pm. The phone rang and rang and rang and rang for a good FIVE MINUTES probably more. No wonder there’s an emergency button on the phone pad - heaven help anyone that has an emergency, assuming that that gets answered as quickly. The girl on reception said she’d send someone up, she was too busy with guests to discuss. No one came. We waited for an hour and then exhausted from our travels put a DND on the door, as there seemed little point cancelling the appointment. No idea if anyone even bothered to come up.

We found the majority of the rest of the staff lackadaisical, ‘am I bovveered’ attitude, a real low morale and strange, barely attentive approach to guests. We didn’t of course encounter all of them, so apologies to the rest. We found that if you engaged with them, a few lit up and glowed, perhaps a symptom of the attitude of some of the guests. But overall we were very disappointed with customer service and guest liaison - Suspect they are underpaid and overworked. There was a wedding on while we were there and I would guess that they needed extra support staff to cope with the several coaches too.

Location – the hotel is adjacent to the motorway on a services site (industrial wasteland) with a few other ‘hotels’ and services. Do not imagine you can go for a stroll unless you like car parks and fast traffic. The car park isn’t particularly well designed, our coach had to go over kerbing to get parked.

Feedback – there’s a box for guest questionnaires in the reception area, but there was no questionnaire in our room. When I asked for one as we checked out, the receptionist looked in a couple of files and couldn’t find one. Draw your own conclusions.

Rack rate – the rack rate for this hotel was published behind the desk as £140 per night. Not sure if that included breakfast. Our four day, three night tour was around £240 so there is no way our tour company paid that rate, however, whatever the cost, there is no excuse for bad to average customer service, poor, unappetizing food and general lethargy.

I didn't choose to stay here and I certainly wouldn't choose to stay with HI again if this is representative of the quality of service and food. If it's convenient for your needs then a night, or two at the most is bearable. But don't choose it for a special break or occassion.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer

I was extremely disappointed to read your recent review following your stay with us and I am very sorry that the hotel did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Your feedback on the evening food is particularly disappointing and I have asked our Head Chef to review the weekend service with his team to identify the issues you raised and address them.

Your feedback on customer service is very unusual and as you will see from the majority of our reviews this normally scores highly - I am sorry you didn't find this during your stay and I will share your feedback with the team and work with them to improve this during busy times like this weekend.

WiFi is an area we are working on to begin to offer this free to all of our guests and we will be making some steps towards this in the coming months.

Thank you for your candid feedback, if you would like to discuss it personally then feel free to contact me at the hotel directly on 0191 418 9400 and I will be happy to do so.

Francis Hindle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Boldon
Ravensworth Arms
Ravensworth Arms
#12 of 20 in Gateshead

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!