“Not Holiday Inn Standard - Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Washington
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Not Holiday Inn Standard - Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

First of all let me say that the staff are truly FANTASTIC.
Reception staff and restaurant staff very polite and friendly.

However, that's were it ends.

Luckily we were only there for one night.

The hotel looks and feels very dated. My room was smelly and gave me a terrible headache. Plus there was lots of hair in the shower from the previous guest.

The food in the restaurant was not good either. Below average, giving me tummy ache.

Not what i was expecting from Holiday Inn. I have stayed in many Holiday Inns and Express and this is the worst that i have stayed in.

Will not return to this one again.

The only thing going for this hotel is the great staff attitude.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was extremely disappointed to read this review of your recent stay with us. This is certainly far from the norm as you will hopefully see from the majority of reviews here on TripAdvisor and other review sites online. I am very sorry for the apparent shortfalls you encountered - rest assured I will follow these up internally to address the issues you have raised.

It was lovely to hear how great the staff were and I will of course feed this back too. If you would like to discuss your feedback personally please feel free to call me at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Francis Hindle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It is said that you are not properly dressed without a smile. If this is the case staff at Holiday Inn Washington are indeed very well dressed. This hotel is obviously well Managed , staff are friendly and helpful & seem to enjoy working. Stay elsewhere if you want , but you will probably pay more and you wont find find better quality staff. Congratulations Holiday Inn Washington- I stay in Holiday Inns regularly and even with the Holiday Inn brand high quality this is one of the very best

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to receive your recent 5* review here on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your kind and generous recognition of the team here at the hotel - we pride ourselves on offering a warm and genuine welcome and it is always nice when this is recognised by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I recently had the chance to stay here. It was a very clean place . The rooms were very nice warm and tidy. The food was really good with plenty to choose from. The staff were very friendly
and helpful and the ladies waiting on the tables always had a smile for you no matter what.
especially Kelsie. If you are visiting county Durham for a few days and need a base. I would recommend you try this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to receive your recent review of the hotel, and to read what a great time you had when staying with us.

Your feedback is very valuable and I have personally recognised Kelsie for the great service you highlighted.

I hope we can welcome you back to stay again soon.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Perfect room with giant bed , great heating , nice , clean and tidy . The staff are very helpful .The hotel has easy access to and from the A1 . Booked through laterooms twice and got cracking deals both times .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your recent great review of the hotel.

I was delighted to see that you have enjoyed staying with us on a couple of occasions now and found the rooms to be great and the staff so friendly.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as a base for visiting the local sights.
The bright clean rooms were warm and quiet with everything you could need.
We had set menus at dinner with good choice and plenty to help yourself to, all the staff were really pleasant and helpful but especially Taylor and Mandy who served at our section.
So all round a nice hotel at a good price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience of the hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be passing on your kind feedback to Mandy and Taylor personally to recognise their great service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just stayed here as part of Newmarket coach tour to Lindisfarne,what a treat , rooms clean comfy, staff friendly and efficient, the dining room was run with military efficiency( special mention to Mandy and Taylor..though all were good) food was good, fresh and plentiful.It was a a lovely surprise and had to give it a mention,it added a lot to a brilliant value for money break..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely feedback from your stay with us recently.

I was delighted to read that the hotel added such enjoyment to your stay in the area and will certainly pass on your feedback to Mandy and Taylor which I know they will be delighted to hear.

I hope we can welcome you back to explore more of what the North East has to offer on another occasion.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had stayed the previous night at HI Jesmond which appears been recently refurbed and is very modern so my review of this hotel is a little tainted by that.

Loads of free parking and easy access to the A1M

Checkin was busy when I arrived (around 3pm) with only 2 staff on the desk but I got seen to quick enough. Slight hiccup, they could see my reservation on the system but couldn't check me in for reasons I couldn't understand. It was resolved after 10 mins or so, not the end of the world for me as I wasn't in a rush.

Rooms are decent size but in need of modernisation, as is the rest of the hotel including the exterior (bear in mind I'm comparing this to my stay at HI Jesmond the previous night!)

WIFI is chargeable (big bugbear of mine), however the speed is pretty good so downloading films & TV series on the iPad was not an issue. But by some stroke of luck, I wasn't charged for WIFI, i mentioned this at checkout and they said nothing was showing up on my account, bonus!

Evening meals were not to my taste. The menu was fairly basic and I was disappointed with what I ordered on my first night (sausage & mash - I thought this would be a safe choice!!) and it was buffet curry night on my 2nd night, again, very disappointing food. Staff service was excellent however, as was the breakfast buffet.

Checkout was slow as somebody in front of me was quibbling their bill, there was only 1 member of staff on the desk so everybody in the queue had to wait as no other staff were called to assist.

Overall, I think this hotel was decent value and more than adequate but I would be inclined to try elsewhere before I book here again. Or maybe I'm being a little too fussy as a result of staying in Jesmond the night before.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed some great service at the the hotel and found the stay to be good value.

We are working towards a solution in 2014 where internet access will be available free of charge to all IHG Reward Club members which I know will be well received.

I have noted your additional feedback and have discussed it with the relevant members of my management team in order to drive some positive outcomes from this.

I hope you will consider staying with us again and if I can be of any personal assistance do not hesitate to call me on 0191 418 9400.

Francis Hindle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 19 in Durham
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!