New Years day lunch for the family. Well I wish we had gone to McDonalds. Turned up for a booking at 12.30 and told by reception that the restaurant wasn't open yet. Were let in a little after 12.35 to be seated in an empty restaurant on one of two tables that were set for the New Year Feast two tables had been pushed together and two of our guests had a place setting over the two tables; a problem was pointed out to the waitress that it was difficult to balance a plate over the two table heights and a shrug was the response. Starters were ordered and we were told to go to the bar for drinks. There were shutters up at the bar and Reception was unmanned. After a walk round the reception area I was advised that the bar did not open until 1 pm. The restaurant was untidy and the carpet was a mess, glasses were piled high at the counter where drinks were being served and the carpet had cereal etc still left over from breakfast and there were cereal boxes and juice plates and labels still on the buffet area.
The main course was a bit of a disaster also. One carving knife for pork and beef, not a problem if you don't mind but as the beef was overcooked, the chicken swimming in gravy the only option left was a rather dry pork along with overcooked vegetables that were luke warm. A jug of water was left on the table as we still could not get a drink at the bar. We stayed for just over half an hour as the desert also left a lot to be desired. Fruit Salad and coffee both left over from breakfast, very dry chocolate cake or a cheesecake that looked as though it had seen better days.
A formal complaint will be going into the Restaurant manager tomorrow as there was no one in Reception to complain to when we left to go and get the kids who only picked something to eat..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Washington is an ideally located hotel, just off the A1M junction 64. Centrally located between, Historic Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle City The hotel offers a 'Go Green' Environmental Room in association with Tree Appealplanting trees on site and across the UK. This is a well established, comfortable hotel, with free car parking, noted for its friendly staff. The Hotel has a Traders Restaurant a newly refurbished lounge and bar area.Kids Stay & Eat Free*. The hotel has 136 fully air conditioned bedrooms, including family and accessible rooms. Only a short drive from Europes largest Shopping Centre - the Metrocentre, Newcastle City Centre, the award winning Beamish Open Air Museum, Sunderland Glass Centre and Durham County Cricket Ground. The North East coastline and Angel of the North are also within close driving distance.*Terms & Conditions apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Washington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Washington Hotel Washington
- Washington Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Washington Tyne And Wear