“Good value with excellent breakfast.”

Holiday Inn Washington
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is a very well priced hotel, the deal we got included breakfast which had a great selection with friendly serving staff. Bed was average comfy and towels were ok. The shower was average. I was very pleased they have a cash machine in the foyer.
The only complaint I would have is that on check in the staff member allowed us to stand without any acknowledgment for approximately 5-10 minutes whilst taking a phone call, it was a business call but maybe customer service training could be given as to how to handle this scenario as she did not once indicate she had seen us standing there and nor did she ask the person to hold or if they could call back.

Room Tip: Its a holiday inn just off the A1 so all the rooms will be pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for leaving your recent review here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff to be friendly. Thank you for sharing your concerns about the disappointing check-in experience, I have shared this with my Reception Manager to address in their regular review and training sessions.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Quite a long time since I stayed here, having told myself I wouldnt go back unless I was stuck

So I was stuck in Jan 2014 and stayed here as it was only £36 and handy for the A1(M) as I travelling through the area on business, good location for that but if your here to be close to Newcastle dont stay here unless you fancy getting stuck in lots of traffic and being miles from the city.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the main reception area as been done up and I was able to get an upgrade to an exectutive room which was 10 x better than my previous stay, dont know if the standard rooms are still poor but if your a priority club member id chance getting an upgrade and stay here rather than the express at the metro centre (grim)

The room was very comfortable, great bed, very clean, good tv selection etc

After this visit id be more inclined to stay again if i was passing through and could get a decent rate

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for posting your recent review here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to hear that you have noticed some positive improvements since your last stay and really hope we can welcome you back again soon.

If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Rooms are dated and got to say bathroom was quite tatty, peeling paint etc, and bed was not at all comfortable and I stay in lots of hotels so know what standards can be achieved. Food was good and bar staff excellent , very polite and helpful. How you can try and charge for Wifi is beyond me, if you staying in any hotel these days almost none charge you for wifi. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Garforth the following and night and guess what, free wifi. If you staying for a week at a time wifi and £10 for 24 hrs is not on and certainly won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here on TripAdvisor.

I was disappointed to note that you found your room to be tatty in places and have discussed your concerns with my Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers to review the issues.

It was great to hear that you had such a good experience in the bar and I will certainly share your feedback with the Kitchen and Food & Beverage teams.

I note your concerns regarding WiFi and would urge you if you are not already a member to join the free IHG Rewards Club loyalty program as we currently offer WiFi free to all Elite members and from July this year that will be extended to ALL members.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

From a chain like Holiday Inn would expect a standard to come with the name, it was even worse than holiday inn express. The room was tiny and dirty, even on the wall you could see an old leftovers of some spelt tea or smt. The bathroom wasnt cleaned properly, you could see hairs in the bath tub. The internet is at a ridiculous price (dont remember exactly but about 5pounds per hour).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Reviewer

I was very disappointed to read your recent review and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your visit to the hotel.

As you can see from the majority of our reviews this experience is certainly not the norm and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail if you wish. Please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel on 0191 418 9400.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night with our 3 year old lovely peaceful sleep. Had a problem with tv lady on reception came up immediately and rectified . Super customer service at every interaction, breakfast service also brilliant daughter was given activity pack , the selection of food was lovely, will stay again

Stayed: January 2014

Dear Reviewer

I was delighted to receive your recent review here on TripAdvisor, sharing your recent experience of the hotel.

It's great to hear that the hotel suited your needs so well and especially nice to hear that your daughter also enjoyed her stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I married at Holiday Inn Washington on 7th Dec 2013. From start to finish the day was absolutely perfect. Staff were so helpful and from reception staff, waiting staff, bar staff and management, nothing was too much trouble. Richard in the restaurant coordinated the day brilliantly and Michelle Christie (events manager) who was there for us from booking the day right to the end of the wedding evening, is second to none.

Michelle put her heart and soul into the planning our day with me and ensured it was perfect. No job was too big for Michelle and overall I highly recommend weddings at Holiday Inn Washington.

The food is beyond delicious. All guests commented, and we have since dined here twice. I have no doubt that anyone choosing this venue for their wedding, with the help of Michelle Christie, will have as perfect a day as we did. Thank You.

• Stayed: December 2013
MgrWashington, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review here following your wedding celebrations.

We are all delighted that you had such an enjoyable day and your recognition of Richard and in particular Michelle is much appreciated.

It's great to know that you have continued your visits and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

£29.00 a night and we had a child and a baby with us. Amazing value, its not the smartest Holiday Inn but the staff are excellent and its a great location for the metro centre (less then ten minutes). Big TV, comfy bed and easy to get too what more can you ask for. There is a Chevys and a Toby Carvery next door to hotel. Thank You

Room Tip: Less then 10 minute drive to metro but at weekends the room rate is worth the drive
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your recent review here on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff to be excellent and that the value and location worked so well for you.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Francis Hindle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Premier Inn Newcastle (Washington) Hotel
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham

Been to Holiday Inn Washington? Share your experiences!