“Great overnighter!”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Washington
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Great overnighter!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here on Easter Saturday, hotel provided by the coach tour operator so had no choice and was a bit wary after reading some reviews but I was pleasantly surprised to find it completely different to how some reviewers described!
The room was bright, spacious and very clean, very comfortable bed too, it had everything you would expect from a hotel and definitely had a spare plug socket!

The staff were really nice and made us all feel very welcome, evening meal was a set 3 course menu which I enjoyed but I thought the breakfast next morning was very good, lots of choice including cereals, meats & cheeses, fruit, yoghurt, croissants as well as more drinks offered than usual tea & coffee, they offered Cappucino & Latte's too, all this and then a full English breakfast freshly cooked to order..... What's not to like?!

I don't know what people expect from what is (due to its location) essentially a 'stopover' hotel mainly used overnight by business people and travellers, some spend hours scouring the internet for the cheapest possible deal (tightwads!) and then seem shocked they aren't at Claridges!
It's great value for the price.
I would definitely stay here again, my only moan is the bar prices were extortionate but we did find a nice Toby pub only a 5 minute walk away... Result!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sue W
Campanile W, Manager at Campanile Hotel Washington, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest

We have read your review/comment and we would like to thank you for it.
We are glad you appreciated what we had to offer you on your recent stay with us.
I will share your compliments with the team.

Lookimg forward to welcome you again in our Hotel.

Best regards

Lisa H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed here for one night and this was enough, in fact if I hadn't been so tired after a long journey I would have gone to another hotel. Staff are very nice, Went up the stairs to my room and there was an open/used condom on the stairs, great welcome. The hallway and rooms are so so tired, you can smell smoke in the room and hallway. This hotel has not been up dated in years, wood chip on the walls, dirty walls. There was a hole in the bedroom wall as if someone had kicked it and the heater on the wall looked as if it had been kick also. Whilst looking for the one socket in the room I could see behind the wardrobe OMG wish I had never looked. Booked a double room got twin beds pushed together, uncomfortable.
Slept just however didn't try the food as looking at the dirty rooms didn't give me much faith in the kitchen being any better. Left this hotel hours before I needed to as I didn't want to be there any longer. The only way to describe this hotel is DUMP

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for the feedback concerning you stay.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the situation/issues you had at the Hotel during your stay.
We will be in the process of redecorating the rooms over the coming months.

Our guest's comments always contribute to enhance our customer service.

Hoping to welcome you again soon

Best Regards

Lisa H

Travellers are raving about these Washington hotels

Scarborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

stayed 1 night april 5th .break to see dancing on ice tour at metro arena cost 50 pounds per night.good budget hotel good service on reception room average tea coffee making hairdryer. position 15 mins to metro center. 20 min drive Newcastle center depending on traffic. had cooked breakfast .very nice plenty of toast tea coffee . no problems for the price average hotel

Room Tip: don't thick there is air con will be warm in summer
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for informing us about your experience.
Being continuously into improving our customer service, our guest opinion is always welcome.
We are glad that you enjoyed our Breakfast offering and that are location was convenient to were you needed to be.
I will past your compliments on to our reception team, a personal/ smiling welcome is our priority.

Hoping to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend for one night. The staff appeared to be pleasant enough and the continental breakfast was ok, poor coffee from a machine though. The room however, and the corridor leading to the room is in serious need of an upgrade. The corridor and even our room smelled of smoke!! The carpet is old and dirty, the room and even the corridor are quite depressing and just generally it need a clean coat of paint and an fresh of breath air. Also there are no power points in the room, and only one at the door just outside the bathroom which is very poor. All other electrical items in the room such as the kettle, tv and lamp are hard wired in. This is very poor when you need to charge a phone for an alarm when you are away from home. The plus side is that despite this the room did appear to be clean.

On check out we complained about the noise during the previous night at 2am and 4am but were told we would need to write an email as they couldn't do anything about it then at check out!!! I think this is absolutely ridiculous, poor customer service!

Needless to say we wouldn't like to be back in this hotel and have advised work not to book this hotel again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Epping, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed at this Hotel on 22nd and 23rd. Feb while visiting The National Railway Museum ,Shildon. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by Christine on reception who was very helpful . We found our room to be clean and comfortable , the evening meal was good and breakfast the next morning was excellent. We certainly would stay here again. Recommended.

Room Tip: Our room no smoking on the first floor had no problems.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan C
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at the Campanile on Thursday 13th February and Monday 18th February, using it as a halfway house for my trip to Scotland. For under £40 a night I really couldn't complain all that much. The stay was uneventful on the Thursday. Rooms was basic, kettle, longlife milk, hair dryer, and a couple of pillows, but it was comfortable. We did consider eating dinner but we had been travelling so long we decided to go straight to sleep.

On the Monday we were given a larger room. Unfortunately this room had a window with broken latches. A breeze was blowing in the room and the noise of the motorway could be heard. I went to reception and was given another room without a fuss. This room was very much the same as the first. The only quibble about this room is that the bed was two singles pushed together and one was very slightly higher than the other.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. Campaniles have a 50% off food offer every Monday and as a result both of us ate for under £10. The food was good value for money and the atmosphere was quite lively. The general managers Ian and Lisa are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try getting a room at the far end of the corridor as these are bigger.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Semloh89
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This has got to be the worst hotel I've ever been in, firstly at check in I asked for a menu for the restaurant he told me there was hardly any food on and they did not have a menu. Next to us there was a man complaining of the wifi so from this point I kind of guessed i was going to be disappointed with my stay. We then got to our hotel room.. More like a shed! The room was TINY the bath tub was about 1 metre long and the bed was slanted downwards! There was not ONE plug socket in the room and no complimentary teas of coffees which normally you are supplied with out of friendliness. I rang down immediately asking for a refund as I was so disappointed with my room. The women on the phone was completely understanding which I think she problies got this a lot. We packed up and went and stayed down the road at the premier inn which was a lovely stay. AVOID THIS HOTEL not worth £50!

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Holiday Inn Washington
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel
Beamish Park Hotel
Beamish Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Marley Hill

Been to Campanile Hotel Washington? Share your experiences!