“Ruined my daughters birthday”

AMF Bowling Washington
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Washington
More attraction details
Owner description: AMF Bowling Washington Boasting 26 state-of-the-art bowling lanes, fantastic food and drink and a family friendly environment for all ages. A great place to create wonderful memories and share fun times with family and friends. Work up an appetite and turn to our food and drink outlets to refresh and refuel. Whether you're after a quick snack or something more substantial, there's plenty on offer at AMF Bowling Washington. When the pins are down the fun doesn't stop, as our centres are packed with great games, pool tables, amusements, big screen televisions and plenty more to keep all entertained. We're dedicated to making sure all of our guests have the most memorable of times, with our wide range of facilities. Enjoy the ultimate experience and get the star treatment when you book one of our sumptuous VIP lanes. With our all new VIP lanes you'll feel like a Hollywood star. Whether it's to add a touch of glamour to your monthly family bowling trip or if you're looking to hold your celebration in style, the Hollywood VIP lanes are guaranteed to leave you feeling like a star. Plus there are lovely little touches like VIP ropes, sumptuous red velvet curtains and VIP walls with a storage area for your belongings all add to that special touch that allow you to focus on those all-important strikes! The VIP experience means we'll be at your call as you play. Whether you'd like to order some nibbles or you'd like some extra drinks brought to your lane, you simply ask a team member and they'll attend to your needs.
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

i booked online to play bowling here. I booked a family ticket 2 adults and 2 children for £25. i didnt add my 2 year old on the booking as i didnt really know if he would be intrested. so we arrived at 10am on saturday morning. i got 5 pairs of shoes and was chatting to the girl on the desk about not knowing if my son would be intrested. we were then shown to our lane. i was busy sorting our shoes etc out and the overbearing lane porter decided to put our details into the computer...including my sons. we played one game and everything was fine. 2 goes into our second game the screen goes blank and the lane goes dark. My daughters were gutted all the scores had gone and ran to get someone to find out what had happened. The manager came over and told me the game was cancelled because youve paid for 4 and 5 names are on your screen. No warning, no oopertunity to pay extra for the 2 year old just cancelled there and then. kids were gutted, and went to the car. We were mortified! totally ruined my 6year olds birthday and we never got to use the pre payed meal voucher we had purchased either. total waste of time and money! never ever again!

Graeme S, General Manager at AMF Bowling Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

We greatly appreciate your review of our centre!

We deeply apologise about the poor visit you guys experienced. In response to your comments we have trained all managers and team members regarding lane waiting procedures etc. We have also implemented a new system which ensures that the reception team communicates with the lanes team about the number of individuals who are bowling on each lane and how many games they are having. This is to prevent such instances as this, and to ensure that any mistakes that do occur can be recorrected before the end of the game, which was the situation in your case.

Yet again we deeply apologise about this poor experience!

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This place is great 4 a day out kids. They really enjoyed themselves as did me n the husband. Wasnt very much (we played 3 games) then kids played on amusements n done a smurf hunt!

Thank you very much for your review of our centre!

We are very pleased to hear that you and your family had a great day!
We are currently doing a new treasure hunt!!

We hope to see you guys again very soon!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Went in the Washington AMF bowling alley just for a quiet game of pool, and got told to take my snapback cap off in case I "nick" something, but my friend didn't. Asked to speak to a manager which didn't take it seriously and laughed to say the least then he went over to his employee and had a laugh saying I made an idiot of myself for standing up for myself, all I wanted to do is buy a drink and get discriminated for what I was wearing. There is nothing on show to "nick". Wouldn't go back here even if I got free tickets, absolutely crap, the bowling alley at Newcastle is the same price and 100x better, avoid AMF Bowling like the plague.

We greatly appreciate your review of our centre!
We apologise for any discomfort that was caused during your visit to the centre.
You will have been asked to remove your cap due to a policy which stands stating that any caps/ hoods which cover the customers face must be removed in certain areas of our centre due to the CCTV cameras being in a downward facing position, therefore, faces etc cannot be clearly seen when caps/ hoods are worn.
We yet again apologise that it was handled in the manner, however, this policy with stands for the safety of all customers and team members, including yourself.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

we booked my grandaughters seventh birthday party here and it was a farce we were told her name would be in lights on the lane we booked it didnt happen we had to share our lane with other people so most of the parents had to sit away from our group we had to ask for the kids drinks they rushed the kids as they were eating becouse they had another party booked it would have been nice if they had made more of an effort we had paid extra for little extra touches but it was an uncomfortable few hours we were glad when it ended

We really appreciate the review you have given our centre.

We are very sorry to hear that your visit was not up to satisfactory standards and that you felt uncomfortable during your visit.

We wish to inform you that our centre has changed greatly, with new amenities and new birthday party packages!

Dispite this poor visit you guys had, we do hope to see you again very soon and to make your next visit a considerably better one!

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I went here for a friend's birthday on a Saturday night. We met for drinks in the bar beforehand and there were lots of drinks offers available, which was good. The bar food is quite expensive and the portion sizes are tiny!

The one thing that lets this place down is that you can't take your drinks on to the actual lane area where all the seating is. You have to sit at the bar behind the lanes so that basically everyone is congregated away from the actual bowling area. This means nobody watches anyone bowl and the actual bowling part of the evening is ignored. I don't think this would be a problem for families but for groups of adults it makes the evening quite unsociable!

I understand this policy was put in place a few years ago but it is seemingly unpopular because there was only two other groups in the place at 9pm on a Saturday evening. Such a shame because bowling used to be fun! Oh, and something else that seems to have changed is that you keep your own shoes! We were given a huge basket to pile our shoes in that someone then had to keep an eye on. Bit odd.

We greatly appreciate your review of our centre! We are always looking for fresh ideas to help us to continue improving!

We would like to inform you that we have recently experienced a few changes.
Customers are now allowed to take their foor and drinks onto the bowling lanes themselves which improves the atmosphere, and hopefully overcomes the issues that you have discussed.
Also, we now have theme nights every friday and saturday night in which all of the staff dress up, we have a live DJ whom plays a variety of games so you guys can win prizes, we have our Extreme bowling to make your experiences that extra bit special! The atmosphere has greatly improved!

We ask customers to keep a hold of your own shoes so you guys dont have to wait in unnecessary ques to get your own shoes back. We feel this speeds up the process and enables the customers to take their time when finishing.

We hope to see you in centre again very soon! Thank you