“Evening meal out”

Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We visited this restaurant for the first time and we were very impressed. The food was different but not too different! I had Haggis and Oxtail Scotch Egg with a whisky cream sauce for my starter.It was delicious. Our main courses were also very good. We found the staff friendly and efficient. It's a lovely cozy venue for a winter's night.

1  Thank Barbara D

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We have just arrived home after a lovely evening in the blacksmiths table. We hadn't been to this restaurant before but had a living social voucher for a two course meal with wine. The venue is amazing, such an old building with so many original features. It has a cozy, intimate atmosphere which made for a very relaxing evening. The staff were helpful and friendly and would quite happily stop for a chat without being intrusive. The food, well what can I say? AMAZING!! We both started with tempura battered king prawns, salmon and scallops which were just melt in the mouth. Hubby then had a fillet steak and I had venison. I just wish I had a bigger stomach so that I could finish mine! It's been a long time since I have had a meal that was just so delicious. Will i go back to this restaurant again? Oh yes! Would I recommend it to others? Most definitely!! The Blacksmiths Table has earned itself in my top 5 special restaurants.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I booked a table of 4 under a living social voucher that I had purchased as from experience I knew that the food at this restaurant was top notch. We did have problems booking as we were told on numerous occasions that there were table free however not if we had a voucher!!! To me if the table was free this should not matter - the restaurant would still have made money on drinks so this makes bad business sense to me!

The food was fine as usual however a reasonable night was still very expensive and I feel like we were misled by the owner. We had paid £50 for the voucher which was for a 2 course meal. The manager told us at the start that if you order the fillet steak there was a supplement, however when the bill came there was 2 supplements charged for the 3 steaks that had been ordered (one as the value was over the voucher value and then the supplement we were told about). To me this was very misleading. We were also charged extra for veg and chip - surely this is included in a 2 course meal. In addition to this we ordered a bottle of wine and later realised that we were supposed to get a glass of wine each in wth the deal. We asked if we could use the bottle of wine for this and were refused as it was house wine and not the one that we had ordered (this one was nothing out of the ordinary - merlot!). When taking our order surely the manager should have asked what wine we wanted as part of our meal. Instead he let us buy a bottle without mentioning the fact - definitely not daft as he got another £15 out of us!

All in all we were supposed to save money by buying a living social voucher - we certainky didnt and I feel like the restaurant owner just wants to get you in the door then charge you a lot of extras with no regard for his customers.

The food is usually a lot better and to be fair it was pretty average. I have ate at this restaurant several times over the year however my opinion has changed. It is a shame as living social vouchers are the perfect way to get new customers in and try to impress them so that they go back and also spread the word! We will certainly not be going back nor recommending it!

4  Thank LOU0602
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My husband and I have dined at the Blacksmiths Table on Christmas Day for the past five years. We have had no problems until last year when I phoned to discuss the menu I was told that we were not booked in. Luckily we managed to get a table.
Last week I had not had my usual call so rang to speak to the owner who seemed very confused by my call. He rang me on Friday evening to state that he was confused as we did not have a reservation. I assured him that we stood over him last year on Christmas Day while he wrote the booking down due to the mishap that year. The response I got was "we'll I don't know where I wrote it down then". I said it was written in last years diary to be transferred for this year.
I was told that we could not go for our usual 12:00 but could go for 15:00 unless he had a cancellation. This is not a suitable time for my husband and I hence the reason for the early booking.
I have now had to look elsewhere at very short notice, everywhere decent is is already fully booked. We have managed to get in somewhere but as we don't drive this will incur a hefty taxi fare. The whole point we go to the Blacksmiths Table is because it is a short walk away.
Perhaps if the owners attitude had been more sincere and apologetic we might have waited to see if there was a cancellation or gone for the later sitting, as the food has always been excellent. Sadly our commitment has gone by without a thought by a businessman who Is more interested in filling his restaurant.
From now on we will be booking somewhere of our choice well in advance.
My advice, check your reservations or you may be disappointed.

5  Thank Bootybabe16
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My husband and I had a Living Social Voucher to use at this restaurant, Two 2 course meals for £25 with a glass of wine. At first glance, the exterior is beautiful and you can see how lovely it would be in the summer with the patio tables. The interior is just as nice, with an olde worlde cellar type feel. The bar is cosy, and the candelight makes for a romantic evening.

At first, you are seated near the bar, in a small alcove which is nice and quiet, where you are given your drinks. We each had the Rose (normally £4 per glass at cheapest) and then were made to wait about 15 minutes for our table (we presume this was so we would order other drinks as well-they did this to everyone who was waiting). While waiting with our drinks, we ordered our food. With our voucher we were able to have a starter up to £6 in value. My husband chose the Scotch Egg which he rather enjoyed, but I found to be too peppery in the sauce, and I chose the field mushroom. My issue with the food at this restaurant is that it seems they are trying a bit too hard. My field mushroom was accompanied by a lovely sauce and hashbrown, but the black pudding didn't mesh well and wasn't needed. You are also offered a small slice of bread when you first sit down at your lovely table (it really is a beautiful restaurant), which seems a little bit stingy considering they walk over with the entire baguette.

We were made to wait about 20 minutes for our starter and then about 20 minutes for our main course, which is fine I suppose if you're going to be in the restaurant to make a night of it, but not so great, however, if you're in my situation with a babysitter waiting for you.

My husband had the three bird plate for his main and he enjoyed it, though I did think his pheasant tasted a bit funny. I ordered the chicken wrapped in parma ham, once again, it had misplaced jalapenos in the centre, but once i picked those away it was a lovely dish. I do feel that simple would have been better in the case of food here, what a missed opportunity for something great. The sweet potato chips on my plate were divine, as was the sauce, but the veg was a bit stingy and we were charged an extra £1 for the veg without being told it would be a supplement to our voucher.

All in all, worth a visit, I'd say probably more on their value menu, as the regular menu is expensive for what you seem to be served. A lovely romantic place, probably also not great for families, I wouldn't take my baby in, it's more of a couple's type of place. I would return, but next time would be a picky eater and ask for slightly tweaked food and would know that I would be in there at least 2 hours all in. Their desserts also looked nice, but for £6 for a slice of cheesecake, I gave it a miss. I was also stuffed (you get more than you think)! Overall, an enjoyable night.