“Change of opinion ( re reviewing )” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bear Inn

Bear Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Berkswell
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Change of opinion ( re reviewing )”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Re visited the Bear . As you can see from my previous review we were left disheartened. It is only fair I re write my review. After voicing my concerns to chef and brewer directly I was contacted by them and the current manager of the Bear. They genuinely listened to my concerns and valued my feedback. The current manager contacted me personally and explained he was new in post and intended on addressing my issues. He has certainly done that and the improvements were more than evident today. It has been a few weeks since we last visited , we did not let them know who we were until after we had eaten. I took my family ( 7 of us ) we had not booked. It was very busy but they accommodated us in a timely manner. The staff were brilliant , polite and attentive. The lady serving us was fantastic I'm just sorry I did not get her name. The food was brilliant. The sea bass risotto was one of the best risottos I have had. All of the group commented on how good the food was and what a nice atmosphere the pub had in general. Welcoming and warm. One of our group had not been before and said she would defiantly return. Outside and inside very clean . The specials clearly displayed and explained to us. What a turn around and a pleasure to re write a glowing review . Mike , yours and your teams hard work is paying off , it was lovely to see the pub so busy again. Although you told me you still have things to put right your efforts are appreciated and I know my views are shared by other locals. Congratulations on such a turn around . Excellent food, excellent staff, to match a wonderful pub and location . Recommended for all occasions and groups. Back to the gem we knew it was :-)

• Visited May 2014

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“under new management”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We saw this sign as we arrived and were quite wowed as this lovely pub had been so disappointing on our last few visits.The change is amazing we only came for a drink but decided we would dine and it was lovely . The food was so much better the staff were so helpful and attentive. We thought it had been refurbished but it turned out a few lightbulbs had been replaced and some cleaning done, what a transformation. I am sure the new management will be a success .

1 Thank gfs12_12
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Good service from new management”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Hadn't been here for a few years and found it had just changed management (April ) Went at lunchtime and only just managed to get a table because it was really busy. The Chef & Brewer lunch menu is good value, so thats probably why. service was friendly and fairly quick considering how busy it was. Really old and cosy venue still with original features..

1 Thank Mike P
“An ok evening”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been going to the Bear Inn for some years now and can honestly say, I have never been disappointed. My partner and i visited on Tuesday 8th April at around 20:00. The service was good and the food was reasonable for the price we paid. The seating area in the bar is perfect for a chat and a catch up on the days events. We will be going back in the future.

2 Thank Cobby85
“What a shame !!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

One of my local pubs. Been going for many years, different owners etc all had their own spin on things. Menus / layout etc. None of them ever bad....until now !!!!!! What a complete shame!!!!.
The history in this building and surrounding area is amazing. The views and local area nice too. used to be good for all occasions. birthdays. Christmas, school meetings, lunches, dinners. I even had pre wedding drinks in here before we were married at the church !!! This pub has very much involved the locals and the community. ( in the past)
Went there on Sat 29.03.2014 and it was almost unrecognisable :-( nice hot day wanted to walk the dog and stop off with the children for lunch in the Garden. Rule number 1 in the pub industry surely if nice weather is forecast its pub garden weather .... be prepared !!!

The outside is un kept and un loved !!! It looks terrible. I found out after our visit that one of the locals actually volunteered to mow the lawn and tidy up the seating area for free !!!!! it looked that bad. and this was a couple of weeks ago !!
My husband went in to get a menu and they said they are not serving any more people??? It was quiet inside !!! He came out gobsmacked and said inside looked as bad! silly chalk boards with scrawled messages on them. The specials board said free smiles !!! ha there were none of them either !!! the staff were a bit clueless ( not knowing if they served Pepsi max?)
My husband got frustrated and just ending up saying 2 cokes and 2 fruit shoots please.
Got to the garden, and the coke was flat and the syrup tasted like it was going. We left the drinks called the kids and left feeling so disheartened. As we did another family were doing the same, as we walked towards our cars we even made the joke " your not staying either then?"
I have spoken to other locals and expressed my disappointment and have heard that there has been a string of problems over the past couple of months and every one is of the same opinion, some locals have even approached the staff to tell them its obvious the pub has taken a turn for the worse and my understanding is nothing much has happened. Gosh even offering to maintain the gardens and outside area for nothing!!! Such a shame , someone go in and rescue this gem of a pub.

• Visited March 2014