“Excellent except for Sunday Roast Beef” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlecote
GreenLeadersBronze level
Appleby, United Kingdom
“Excellent except for Sunday Roast Beef”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Having stayed in other Coast & Country Hotels, one medium and one poor, this one was just right! Well, nearly! Lovely friendly and helpful staff throughout, food was very good, except for that one last (third) night, Sunday, when we decided to have the Roast Beef dinner. It was cold and the Yorkshire Pud WAS stone cold, felt like out of the fridge, and the veg were mushy. They attempted to re-heat it, but it was still only luke warm. Shame, because room was large, comfortable and clean and other evenings food was lovely. Apart from that, we had a lovely time and were looked after very well. We would definitely use this hotel again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Many thanks for writing such a nice review, and it is reassuring that on a whole you did enjoy your stay and would like to return. I shall investigate as to why your last Evening meal was not hot. I can assure you, that this is not the serivce or standard we deliver. Kind regards John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Trstenik, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here during the week whilst on business in Warwickshire. Despite there being numerous hotels around Stratford-upon-Avon, there is a paucity of properties catering for the business guest; instead most concentrate on the tourist market.

Having tried most of the other hotels with a putative business offering, I decided to give the Charlecote Pheasant a go and booked the highest grade of room at the attractive price of £114 including breakfast.

The hotel is located a few miles from both Stratford and Warwick, in a very pleasant village, with no traffic noise. Upon arrival and check-in, I was directed to the executive 'block' round the back of the main hotel. This was after having parked up in the main car park and carried all my luggage into the reception. The hotel is somewhat spread out and it looks like it has expanded into the various buildings that make up the overall site. The executive rooms are set apart down a short drive and shielded from the main buildings by mature trees. There was dedicated parking for the executive rooms which was a good touch, especially as it was pouring with rain and the walk to/from the main car park would have meant getting soaked.

The room itself was huge; a genuine one-bedroom suite that I am guessing was at least 65 sq m in total size, with a sitting area, separate bedroom and bathroom. The furnishings in the sitting room were acceptable but perhaps a little tired and dated. The bed was great though; a decent size with plenty of comfortable pillows and it provided a very good night's sleep. The bathroom was OK, with a separate walk-in shower. It did take a while for the water to heat up in the morning but when it did it was hot enough, even if the water pressure was adequate at best.

The room was on the ground floor and so whilst it had lots of windows, this meant having to draw loads of curtains in the evening and you couldn't really have a window open (not sure if they actually did open).

There were two decent size (32" from memory) LCD TVs in room with a reasonable selection of channels - it looked like the full range of Freeview options. It didn't look like there was any in-room entertainment system or interactive capability on the TV (EPG, view bill etc.) and one of the remote controls needed new batteries so I had to keep getting up to change the volume or channel on the TV itself.

There was no water in the room although there was a notice on the desk with a card, onto which you could put 2 x £1 coins and magically housekeeping would replace these with a bottle of mineral water the following day. Not much use at 8pm when you've got into the room and are thirsty (there was no mini-bar I could identify, although strangely there was an empty wine fridge in the corner of the sitting room) and in the highest grade of room, I would predicate that most guests would expect complimentary bottled water. The card explained that it was something to do with sustainability, i.e. you have to pay the stop those poor polar bears from drowning. That's rubbish, sorry. You are paying over the odds for what should be complimentary. If 'water use' or 'materials efficiency' are key sustainability issues for the hotel, then you don't offer any bottled water, period.

I booked to eat in the restaurant for dinner and had to accept a later slot as the restaurant was fully booked at my preferred time. Again, for a business guest and the highest grade of room, one would expect not to be told that you have to eat later.

Dinner was OK; it was late and I was hungry so almost anything would have sufficed. Listening to the diners around me, most appeared to be in the restaurant on some kind of package deal (I'm fairly sure that the hotel is linked commercially with - if not owned by - Shearings) and were all ordering table d'hote. I was up for a la carte but the menu was a bit limited on that front although, fair play, they are clearly catering for a specific type of guest. A three course dinner with a couple of drinks was £35, so was acceptable value. It was a little surprising to have to pay for dinner at the time rather than charge it to the room - I didn't know that hotels still did this - but again, this is probably down to their main market and guests not having booked a dinner package so they have to pay for its separately.

I didn't have breakfast as it wasn't served until some time after I had to leave in the morning. I think there was some kind of breakfast on the go or room service option but I didn't partake of it. Business guests tend to rise before retired coach travelling guests but it would have been good if breakfast had been from an earlier hour.

All the staff I encountered were polite, friendly and seemed to genuine want to deliver good customer service.

Overall the stay was acceptable, elevated to a 4 circles 'Very Good' by the price of the room. The stay was fine at the utility function level, i.e. a bed for the night, but there wasn't much added-value beyond that and certainly not sufficient to appeal to business guests, such as easy to use wifi (I had to go and ask for the wifi access codes that were allocated individually from reception but then didn't work), complimentary bottled water and in-room entertainment with iPod and USB docking capability.

I appreciate totally that the hotel has a captive market and is appealing to that market because it delivers consistent revenue. However, given the dearth of choice for business guests in the area (corporate soulless Hilton/Holiday Inn for the same price, The Arden for double the price or Mallory Court for four times the price), there is an opportunity to attract business guests. We will pay extra for a better guest experience and that extra cost is higher margin revenue.

If you're not a business traveller then you'll love the Charlecote Pheasant; it is ideally located and is delivering a value-for-money tourist guest experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your very comprehensive review of your recent stay at The Charlecote Pheasant
We are a large Hotel catering for the Leisure Market, however we do have many Business Guests, who find not only the price is attractive but the location and services we provide meet their needs as individual travellers

Many thanks again for taking the time to write a review.Kind regards John
Leamington Spa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Last night my wife and I ate at The Charlecote Pheasant. We were celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and chose The Pheasant as that is where we had our Wedding Reception 25 years ago.
The food was super and the staff were friendly and efficient.
However our table was in the corner next to the waiters' station, the kitchen and a cleaning cupboard. Although not perfect, this was tolerable for the main part of our meal; however towards the end of our meal, as the restaurant was emptying, we found ourselves in the middle of a noisy clean up operation. There was loud washing up, waiters chatting about their smoking habits, a mop and bucket in action a couple of feet from us and at one point my wife was 'splashed' from behind as someone was vigorously cleaning a hot plate. This spoilt what had been a lovely evening.
I don't like to make a fuss during the evening but did mention it to the barman when we paid as were leaving but he just said 'yes it is noisy over there'.
I did email the manager the next day but got no reply. What a shame.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you for your review of your visit for a Meal to celebrate your 25th Wedding Anniversary.
Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and the service, I shall look into where you were seated and "the cleaning down procedures" for the end of service. I do apologise that this happened at the end of what was a nice evening for you and your wife. To date I have not received an e- mail as I would have replied directly after my investigations. Once again my apologies and thank you for bringing this to my attention Kind regards John
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We had two nights DBB in a premier room, it was great, big, clean and comfortable with a great view, the staff in the reception, bar, waiting staff and mainly Dan in the restaurant was first class, if you want a quiet great w/e away book here its 5 star service

Room Tip: We had room 104 massive and quiet for sleep time
1 Thank william448
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Wow What a fantastic review of your recent stay, I shall certainly pass on all your comments to all the team. I also think of the Charlecote Pheasant as a magical place ,and I am glad that you enjoyed not only the Surrounding area but all services that the Hotel provide. Hope it wont be too long till you return. Kind regards John
North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel is behind an original pub, probably of the same name. It comprised one single storey building containing the restaurant, bar and hotel reception. The main accommodation block is modern on two or three floors and just across the car park. This block would have had ground floor rooms which would have been suitable for disabled guests. In addition the games room and three bedrooms were directly opposite the hotel entrance at ground floor level and are ideal for disabled guests. This looked like a old stable block conversion with the room doors opening outward directly onto the car park. Ours comprised a large room with wetroom bathroom. I'm not sure if the other two were adapted for the disabled or whether they had wetrooms.

The half-board terms included dinner from a Table d'Hote menu but there was also an A la Carte menu where an allowance was given towards the full menu price for any items selected from this menu. So it was possible to "mix and match" between the two menus. This gave an excellent combination. The restaurant was open to non-residents.

The location is in a small village between the main A439 Warwick-Stratford and A429 Warwick-Moreton-in-Marsh roads, just a few miles from Stratford upon Avon.

This was easily the best Shearings Hotels Group establishment that I have used (Portpatrick in Scotland coming a close second) and will certainly use it again.

Room Tip: The three rooms in the "stable conversion", if that's what it was, are nearer to the r...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Many thanks for your kind review of your recent stay, It's great to read that you enjoyed all elements of your stay, and the services provided by the Hotel and Staff. I shall certainly make sure that all the team are aware of your kind comments . Regards John
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Stayed here a couple of nights for a girls weekend. Lovely place which is made up of a collection of several buildings which were part of an old working farm and the grounds are immaculate. We had a room in one of the more unique parts of the hotel and it was huge and also beautifully clean and well maintained.

We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the food was fantastic and there was certainly plenty of it. No complaints from us about the staff either, John, Dan and Chris along with the rest of the staff looked after everyone well and made us feel very welcome,

The hotel is located just outside Stratford but there is a bus stop right outside the hotel and we opted to use that instead of the hassle of driving in and parking up, I'm glad we did as it meant we could have a beer on our canal cruise which was very welcome as a pick me up after all he walking!

Charlecote Park is just across the road from the hotel and well worth a visit, its a National Trust property and a stunning house and gardens with deer galore in the grounds.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back and stay here.

Room Tip: Go for one of the Farmhouse or Pool rooms rather than the newer standard room block.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JoolsH67
Many thanks for such a great review, We are all very happy that you had a great weekend and enjoyed the local area as well as the Services of the Hotel. I shall certainly pass on your kind comments to all the team. Hope it wont be too long till you return Kind Regards John
Lancashire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Recently spent 5 day's in this beautiful part of the Country, the Charlecote Pheasant is located 4 miles outside of Stratford in a wonderful pleasant location, the Hotel itself is a collection of several buildings which were once part of a working farm, the garden and grounds are immaculate and are maintained daily, every employee we came across was very helpful and polite and always had a smile (pat on the back for Dan in the restaurant), the food we could not fault and there was more than enough to choose from, the room we stayed in was cleaned and replenished every morning with tea/coffee etc and was very clean and well presented on our return. We made use of the Tennis Court and the Rackets/Balls were available free of charge from Reception with no time limit to return. The National Trust Charlecote Park is opposite the Hotel which is well worth the visit, a Bus Stop is located immediately outside the Hotel Grounds which takes you to Stratford/Coventry/Warwick and Leamington Spa.
We would have no hesitation in visiting this Beautiful Hotel again in the future and a big thank you must go to the Hotel Staff for making our visit a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Premier room, well worth the upgrade cost.
1 Thank Daimo2
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Many thanks for your great review of your recent stay here at The Charlecote Pheasant. It is nice to read that you enjoyed every apsect of you break and I shall pass on your kind comments to all the Team especially Dan Kind regards John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlecote
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
Stratford Manor Hotel
Stratford Manor Hotel
#11 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,322 reviews

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!