“Don't be fooled by website!!”

The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlecote
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We booked this hotel for a night en route to Gatwick airport, with a possibility of booking a second night on our return back home. From the website descriptions and photos we expected characterful, beamed rooms - especially at £109 for the room!! However, we were given a "Travelodge" type room in a purpose built block at the rear of the property! The room was a disgrace with bedlinen that didn't fit, hole in bathroom door where a clothes hook had once been etc. We booked a table for an evening meal which was really poor and microwaved!!! I chose what was described as "roasted vegetables" (I am a non meat eater) which, when arrived, was a curry with a popadom. My husband was asked how long he wanted his steak cooking for as he had asked for RARE. We have never been asked this before and the waitress didn't get it when I said it depended on how thick the slice of meat was!!
On checking out (and NOT booking for a return visit!!) I handed over my customer review sheet and the woman took it from me and put it to one side. I pointed out that all of the the remarks were negative - was she not interested? NO and neither was the guy next to her (booted and suited so I assume was the manager) He did listen in to a few of my complaints and I would have expected him to take over and listen to the problems experienced but he didn't want to get involved.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gourmet42
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Thank you for the review of your overnight Stop on route to Gatwick Airport, I am disappointed that you felt let down by the price paid for your room and felt the Website Misleading, however you did book a standard double room and it clearly describes the room and the difference between Standard and Premier and Superior rooms Our rooms do have character and our Standard rooms are located in the Barford block adjacent the reception Building , I can assure you that the meal served to you was not "Micro waved" With regards your comments to the Suited and booted Gentleman who had came on duty as you were checking out, he was the Duty Manager that morning and had only came on shift as you were leaving, Our receptionist did apologise and said that she would pass your comments to the Management Team.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights beginning 02/05/2014 and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We upgraded to a premier room (104) which put us a little further away from the main hotel, but this was never a problem. The room was perhaps in need of a bit of TLC but nevertheless was worth paying the extra money for, it was large, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate. It was well furnished but the carpet though scrupulously clean was in need of a good bout of stain removal. The hotel does not offer any kind of evening entertainment, it has a small bar with very attentive service, the food is typical Coast & Country Hotel fare in that if you are a regular user of C&C then you know what to expect on each evening. It is good, but obviously catering to a fairly tight budget. Don't let that put you off though because you do have a choice from an a la carte menu also. The only let down for me was on Friday 2nd May when a beef curry was advertised as available - it was not! The chef had obviously not bothered to put any curry into the mix so what I got was a beef stew on rice. When I pointed this out to our excellent waitress she informed the chef at my request, and then returned to tell me that he had merely shrugged his shoulders on being given my comment. In terms of the staff at the Charlecote Pheasant he was the only negative! Overall the staff were excellent never failing to say "Hi" or "How are you".
We have stayed at other Shearings (Coast & Country) Hotels and they all offer good value at a reasonable price, we will be staying in their Portpatrick property in early July so they must be good if we keep using them!

Room Tip: Upgrade for that special event or occasion.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Many thanks for the review of your stay last weekend, I am pleased that you both enjoyed your break ,and felt it great value and well worth upgrading to one of our Premier rooms. I shall pass on your kind comments to all ther Team and Speak to the Chef regarding his response to your question regarding the Curry. Regards John

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I have been to many Shearing hotels and this is by far the best in our opinion. From arrival to leaving the staff were attentive, polite and helpful. The room was clean and well maintained. The food in the evening was excellent with a wide choice. The service was quietly efficient and well timed without being rushed even though they were busy. The full English breakfast could be described as standard, ok but nothing special. My wife enjoyed the kippers. The location of the hotel is perfect with easy access to Stratford, Warwick and Leamington, by a short bus ride for those not wanting the hassle of driving and parking. We recommend the hotel without reservation as excellent value for money.Barryfab

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and kind comments I shall make sure all the team are aware of them.
We totally agreee with you, that we are in an ideal location to visit all the Near by towns I hope it wont be long till you return Regards John

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have been to a few Coast and Country hotels before and this hotel is definitely the smartest but sadly the food was very disappointing.
The menu was limited and portions were strange. On our last night we had Greek salad but salad was missing though plenty of cheese. There was very large portions of vegetables but they were very unappetising. Our friend had a completly white meal ! Sole, potatoes and cauliflower.
The staff were great ,particularly Brendan our young waiter. Everyone fron the bar staff to the cleaners were lovely.
The hotel is ideally situated for Charlecote Manor and Stratford.We would all love to go back but we would hesitate unless the menu is improved,

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms on ground floor but would request a higher floor to enjoy the country views,
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks for the review of your recent stay with us I shall make sure that Brendan is aware of your Kind comments, and Shall investigate with the Chef regarding your comments on the Food
regards John

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have just returned from a weekend away with 8 other friends. On the whole I think that this is one of the better coast and country hotels with Shearings. The room was clean, beds were comfortable, but there ought to be some rooms with walk in showers as a lot of the guests are elderly, hotel is quiet except when the cleaning staff come in first thing in the morning and go in and out of the doors close to room 44. The doors are heavy and they crash when they are closed with no thought for the guests who are still sleeping, this needs to be addressed. I also agree with the previous comment regarding breakfast. I do like bacon to be fairly well done but mine was so hard, it was uneatable and several of our party left it. It would be much better if breakfast was self service. The orange juice tasted as if it has been watered down. Dinner was okay on most nights but the vegetables do not need to be cooked so much, they should be al dente not soft and soggy. Staff were very good but do rush around quite a bit, we had Anna serving us and she was fantastic and we all loved her, she had a lot to put up with as our men do love to tease!!!! Car parking is great, loads of room, buses run frequently and there is lots to do in the area. This was our third trip to the hotel and we would probably go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Many thanks for your review of your recent weekend Break at The Charlecote I am glad that you ansd your friends enjoyed your selves and I shall pass on your kind comments to the Team especially Anna. I shall look into your comments regarding Breakfast and shall discuss this with the Management Team at our next meeting. Kind regards John

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel to celebrate his 65th birthday. Our up graded room was very comfortable and clean. Staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Reception was equally helpful and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. Although we would not return to the Stratford area we would be more than happy to search for a hotel within the Coast and Country group.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
sheagm, General Manager at The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for the review of your recent stay to celebrate your husbands birthday, I'm glad that you both had a nice weekend, and enjoyed all aspects of the Hotel and Service, I shall pass on your kind comments to all the team, and hope that you enjoy discovering more Coast and Country Hotels. Regards John

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having been frequent visitors to the Charlecote Pheasant for 30 years, including our wedding reception, we chose to revisit the restaurant for my mother's 70th birthday. On opening the menu we were disappointed by the lack of choice and lack of imagination on offer, but we chose to stay as we were hungry. I ordered the mussels, as this is usually a favourite dish of mine. When it arrived, it was not as I had hoped and expected. It looked like someone had emptied a bag of shrivelled up, small mussels into the pot along with a conge

aled mess which was supposed to resemble a sauce, but resembled a 'boil in the bag' offerin. The menu stated that it was accompanied by white crusty bread, but I received greasy, cold garlic bread slices. As it was my mother's birthday I didn't complain because I didn't want to spoil the evening for her. Towards the end of our visit a quiz evening began, which was not at all what we expected. Staff were friendly, although at one point we were asked to pay for a glass of wine at the table rather than having it put on our bill (this was however done when requested). All in all, a visit which left me feeling like we had gone somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the review of your visit for Dinner last weekend, I am sorry that you felt dissapointed with the Menu and Experience. Our A la Carte Menu has a wide choice of Starters and Mains as well as desserts and is all ways well received, you should have been served wholemeal bread with your Mussels and I shall look in to this. With regards the Quiz ,this is done on a Saturday evening mainly for our resident guests and helps raise money for Myton Hospice
Regards John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlecote
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
#1 of 1 in Ettington
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#14 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Charlecote Pheasant Hotel? Share your experiences!