“Here 4 a wedding and had a fantastic time!!”
Review of Dunchurch Park

Dunchurch Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
burton upon trent
“Here 4 a wedding and had a fantastic time!!”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My partner and I attended a wedding at Dunchurch Park on Sept 10th 2011 and had a fabulous time. We arrived at the hotel and headed for the beautiful gardens where bucks fizz and some very tasty canapes were served, while the bride and groom were having photos taken. We were then all shown to The Great Hall ready for the wedding breakfast.The great hall was beautifully decorated and spacious,and there were fresh flowers on all the tables. Once everyone was seated, the first course was brought out which was a ceaser salad. The staff were very smart and very efficient and the food was served quickly. I paid particular attention to this, as I work in a very busy restaurant and therefore, I am quite critical of this. I am happy to say that the ceasar salad was lovely and I was really looking forward to the rest of the meal. I was not disappointed. The main course of chicken breast with chicken liver parfait en croute was absolutely delicious and it was served with perfectly cooked veg, roast potatoes and a superb port reduction which was to die for. The pudding was a very nice white chocolate mousse accompanied by a very cleansing passionfruit sorbet. The meal was finished with fresh coffee or tea and the service was very good throughout. I can honestly say that it is probably the best wedding meal I have ever had so well done Dunchurch Park. As for the hotel itself, It is a lovely venue with lots of little hidden rooms. The bedroom we stayed in was nothing special, but it was adequate for our requirements and was clean and tidy with a comfy bed and very hot water, and the breakfast was lovely too. It was replenished regularly and there was a good selection to choose from. Our only complaint was the price of drinks. My partner was drinking pints of bulmers at £3.50 a time which is ok, but my gin and ginger ale was £5.00 a time which I think is an obscene amount. I then found out that it is about £3.25 for a 25ml measure of gin and it was only a cheap house gin. Yet if I went to the next bar I could get Bombay Sapphire for the same price?? But Bombay or not, the spirits were ridiculously overpriced, and even the barperson agreed. This aside, we had a fab time and it was nice to see the event manager (Sandro?) taking pride in his work and ensuring that everyone was enjoying themselves. A memorable day all round!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lcasey101
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
I would like to take this opportunity of conveying my appreciation for taking the time to write such an extensive review following your recent visit here to Dunchurch Park. I was delighted to hear that both your self and your partner had a thoroughly enjoyable time at the wedding reception that you attended.
I have forwarded your extremely kind comments on to Sandro and the rest of the team and would like to thank you on their behalf.

Signature Hotel Group

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This hotel has lovely grounds. Thats the most positive thing you have to say about the place. There was a lot of staff, who all seemed to very polite, but gosh this hotel needs investment and a service standard shake up. The rooms were barely and cheaply furnished, with enamel chips on baths, televisions that required retuning, and door handles that came off in your hand. The accomodation block was a 70s build, and it looked it throughout. The food was fairly poor with options from the lunches buffet being used again at dinner.... Conference facilities were ok, but this place could be something much more in a great location, with the right management focus and a bit of money spent on it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank oscorp
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
I would firstly like to take this opportunity of conveying my thanks for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay here at Dunchurch Park.
I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our magnificent grounds and the poilteness of the team here at the hotel.
Please also accept my apologies if your allocated accommodation did not meet your expectations.
One point I take exception with however, is your comments regarding the quality of our food, being "fairly poor" and that we re-use items displayed on our conference lunch buffet again for dinner. I can assure you that this is most definitely not the case. As you can see from this review site, we receive extremely positive feedback regarding the quality of our food.

kind regards

Signature Hotel Group

Travellers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We use this hotel and conference facility on a regular basis and have always found the staff, service and accommodation to be fantastic. The personnel on reception are always welcoming and willing to resolve any niggles you may encounter. The bar and catering staff are friendly and polite, again always helpful and willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that your stay is the best possible. The food is excellent and freshly prepared to order. Our rooms are always cleaned and maintained to a high standard with any problem resolved quickly and efficiently by staff members.
The management team are brilliant - always willing to accommodate any change to a conference with ease. The conference coordinator is enthusiastic and energetic ensuring that conferences run smoothly.
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough - if you want to feel valued and respected it is definitely the venue to book.

Room Tip: The Stable Block houses better bedrooms than those in Rochford Court (although these are more than o...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
I would like to take this opportunity of thanking you for taking the time to write your recent review on Dunchurch Park. I was extremely pleased to hear that you are a regular conference client of the hotel and that we continue to deliver fantastic levels of customer service. I will of course pass your very kind comments regarding the quality of food served during your events on to chef.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Dunchurch Park in the not too distant future.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is well worth a visit. The main hotel building is very grand and the extensive grounds are equally impressive. I was amazed by the value offered by this charming hotel which has a good selection of facilities including a small gym putting green, and pitch and put golf course.
The room rate included free Wifi which was a bonus when you consider some chain hotels charge by the hour for this facility.
My room was not in the main hotel building but in an annexe however the room was clean, modern and included TV, Video, Iron, ironing board etc.
If there was one niggle it would be that the space allocated as a desk was a bit small so if this is a requirement ask when booking.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
I would like to thank you for your very kind review. I will of course pass your comments on to the whole team here at Dunchurch Park.
I look forward to hopefully having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Dunchurch Park in the near future.

Kindest regards

Warwickshire
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and I booked a room at Dunchurch Park hotel for a family Wedding. The room was booked more than 13 MONTHS in advance, so it should not have been a surprise to staff that we checked in, however, it was a surprise to us when we viewed our room. (No 89). There was a visible layer of dust around the edges of the carpet. There was no wardrobe but a hanging area above the kettle. . . move the kettle I can hear you say, not possible as it was a fixed point. . . never mind at least there is a nice bathroom! No chance. The shower tray was very worn and there were several hairs amidst the limescaley surface that did not belong to either of us! The toilet seat was splashed with urine - not ours either! I washed my hands in the basin and the top fell out of the hot tap. My husband ran the shower to check to see if it actually worked and hey ho it made the sewer pipe to the toilet leak all over the floor. If it wasn't for the fact that we felt that we would have embarassed family members if we made a fuss . . . we would not have stayed there at all! But like all good British citizens, everything seems better after a cup of tea. I took the kettle over to the basin to fill with water . . . . when I lifted the lid to do so, I was horrified again ...........it was full of thick black limescale. . . . not even a cup of tea then!!! Thanks Dunchurch Park, no shower, didn't want to use the toilet, no tea. £60 the room cost for one night - apparently this was a concessionary rate because we belonged to the wedding party. Not all was lost though - the bed seemed comfortable, although can't say the same for the pillows, and as sleeping there wasn't easy as the ventilation was very poor, (possibly due to the cobwebs in the windowframe!), it was very noisy as you could easily hear your neighbours conversations only missing bits when the doors slammed shut, I thought I would read my book to pass away some time . . . . . guess what? the bulb had gone in my reading lamp!!! We were glad to go home after breakfast, which we had hoped would be Dunchurch Park's saving grace - it wasn't, breakfast was lukewarm and greasy and not a waiter in sight. Certainly won't be recommending your hotel to our friends Mr Dunchurch Park Manager. . . . . what a shame? We had been so looking forward to our visit. There cannot be any excuses for not cleaning guest's rooms. . we are so disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
May I firstly take this opportunity of thanking you for taking the time to write your review. I am extremely embarrassed by it's content and would like to convey my personal apologies for any distress that may have been caused as a direct result of a drop in our usual standards.
Please contact me direct via either e-mail ( rterry@dunchurch.co.uk ) or telephone ( 01788 528111 ) and I will immediately arrange a full refund.
As a further gesture of goodwill and so as to hopefully allow us the opportunity of beginning to restore your confidence in Dunchurch Park I would like to offer you a complimentary 2 night stay together with dinner each evening.
I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My partner and I got married at the hotel on Sunday 21st August 2011. The process we went through with Denise was very relaxed and nothing was too much trouble for her or any of the staff. We had a civil ceremony in the Great Hall which looked amazing then went on to have our Wedding breakfast and evening reception in the same room. I have to say that I don't think I have ever been to a function or large gathering where the food tasted so good, we had beef for our main meal and it was gorgeous, just melted in our mouths. We were very pleased to have Tony take care of us on the day and not only is he professional, but very friendly and fun to be with. The bedrooms were simple, but comfortable and clean and to be honest we never booked this hotel taking into consideration the bedrooms, it was the grounds, staff and package that made us book it- for anyone who sees the reviews about the bedrooms, do no let this put you off, the hotel could not be any more prefect for a wedding and the bridal suite was lovely. So, thank you to everyone who made our special day as fantastic as it was, we appreciate it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy S
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
May I take this opportunity of thanking you for writing your recent review following your Wedding reception that was held here at Dunchurch Park on Sunday 21st August. I was delighted to hear that your special day was a great success and thoroughly enjoyed by all of your guests. I will of course pass your extremely kind comments on to Denise, Tony & Chef.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Dunchurch Park in the near future.

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I travel alot Training and Recruiting, staying in alot of different Hotel's but my favorite hotel is Dunchurch Park as the whole staff team are happy and friendly and nothing is too much trouble, I can at times be quite demanding ! I have always stayed in the Stable block part of the Hotel and my room has always been fine (it does what is says on the tin) we work quite late so are always late for our dinner but the food is always lovely I can recommend the Steak and Ale Pie and the Ceaser salad (my Favorites) all in all the staff are lovely and the manager approachable I would recommend this venue to anyone planning a confernce, Thank you for looking after me and my delegates for the past 4 years, look forward to seeing you all in September

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Vanessa L
, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Very many thanks for taking the time to write your recent review. I was delighted to hear that Dunchurch Park has proved a successful venue for your training courses over a number of years and trust that you will continue to use the hotel in the future.

Signature Hotel Group
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Brownsover Hall Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!