“Okay for Weddings or Corporate Events”
Review of Dunchurch Park

Dunchurch Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
Oulton Broad, United Kingdom
“Okay for Weddings or Corporate Events”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed over for 1 night on business. Its not the best hotel to get around with luggage etc and the eating arrangements are in a bar area with TV's playing. The room was very quiet, clean and on the small side but it had free Wi-fi which is important when away on business.

I found the staff quite professional and polite, the location was nice but the hotel is spread over a large area.

Would I stay at the hotel again? May be, but I find the Golden Lion at Essenhall a much more cosy place to stay for business

Room Tip: Get a back room away from the main avenue to reception and main car parks
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We spent one night at this hotel. We checked the internet!!! We were looking for a special hotel for a special night. We were in Rugby attending a wedding celebration. We have on many occasions used Premier Inn hotels and wanted something a little more upmarket.

Lets start with the arrival and check in. No particularly cheery greeting - very clipped and business like. Having been allocated a room we had to actuaaly ask where the room was!! Ah its back almost to the car park you have just lugged your cases from! What about breakfast! What? Where is breakfast held - 'I dont know we havent decided yet'!!!!!!

The room - It needed cleaning oh and some maintenance. The room was small - bijou it was not. In fairness there was room for one person to walk around the bed. Clean it was not. One power socket had black masking tape over it - yes it was broken. The telephone wall socket was hanging off the wall - actually hanging down! There was mold in the bathroom and around the windows. The cobwebs indicated that we were sharing this room.

I wont go on!!

Do you want a nice pleasant stay in a good class hotel? Give this one a miss. It has all the hallmarks of a 1960s building constructed as a company training centre and not upraded.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginge247
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Guests

I am so very sorry to hear that your stay at Dunchurch Park did not meet your expectations.

I do hope that although checking in was clipped and business like it was also professional. All internet sites’ information about Dunchurch Park is very informative. I personally stayed in similar standard hotels where I found that the car park not only was not on site but had to walk nearly ½ a mile. I am sure you agree that it is impossible to have car park spaces right next to reception.

With reference to breakfast; we normally serve breakfast in the Great Hall however as we were hosting a private function in the Great Hall on the day you arrived we feared the function was going to run till the very small hours of the morning we decide to wait to make a decision where breakfast was going to be served. Please rest assured that reception would have advised you in the morning were breakfast was being served.

I am sincerely sorry for the lack of hygiene and maintenance in the bedroom if only you reported this at reception as we could have done something about it. I am already on the case and will address it immediately.

Admittedly the bedrooms are not as big as Premier Inns hence the reason why the tariff is set much lower, however from the numerous amount of comments made to us by guests our bedrooms represent excellent value for money, specially if you are staying for one night and attending a function. As one guest stated; they were only in the bedroom for about 8 hours 6 of those hours were for sleeping.

Again I am sorry for our shortfalls and although there is no excuse for the lack of hygiene and maintenance I wish you gave us the opportunity to put things right prior to going public, we could have even offered a token of our appreciation.

George Briffa

Travellers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We married at Dunchurch on 02.03.13. From first contact through to the big day, staff were amazing; friendly, helpful and efficient. They dealt with our last minute changes with no fuss. The day ran smoothly, with the change overs between ceremony, breakfast and evening set up carried out quickly. Staff could not do enough to ensure our day went just as we wanted. Special thanks to Mia, our co-ordinator and Tony who was MC. He took time out the night before to explain the day to the groom and helped to calm his nerves on the morning. The food was amazing, waiting staff quietly efficient and friendly. Our needs were anticipated and met with no fuss. The bedroom was a little warm until I turned radiator down, but was comfy and clean. Many of our guests commented on what a wonderful venue it was. Top marks and big thanks for everything.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Cheshire UK
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night. After waiting 20 mins, we had to go back to reception to ask if they could get any staff to attend the restaurant so we could place an order, even though it was lunch time. The food was very poor. Lamb shank with mint, lacked the mint, gnocchi with butternut squash and sage, lacked the sage and was swimming in a cheese sauce. Finally a waitress came and presented the bill, before asking if we would like dessert or coffee, when we asked for dessert she gave us a menu, then came back to take the order, only to tell us that the menu was only for evenings and so only ice cream was available, we gave up! The good was expensive. On the plus side the room was a reasonable rate and was clean and a good size.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank KendalCCheshireUK
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

A nice hotel. Nice scenery. Staff helpful. Upside: As stated before and also lovely atmosphere.
Downside: Badly signposted and very confusing as to where to park and where reception is on arrival when arriving by car. Hotel room: very poor information provision, very badly presented. Will gladly give feedback regarding hotel booklet if requested, but very badly presented.
Upside: room was great, comfortable and clean.

Downside: For disabled folks, no lift facilities in annexe bedroom buildings and that is not advertised.
Downside: WiFi facility very, very slow, easy to access though but extremely slow
Downside: Facilities for Smokers, very poor, very limited and no attention for smoking customers attended to, considering they pay hotel rates
Downside; Asked for early morning call..it did not happen

Upside:

Room Tip: Difficult to gauge....but still a good hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim M
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times on business. Our company first chose it for a large conference mainly to impress foreign guests. The main hotel is absolutely beautiful, I always have a wander around the old part of the hotel and out onto the terrace at the back to enjoy the stunning views. It would be such a wonderful wedding venue. We had a fabulous barbecue on the terrace and we've eaten some really good food during corporate evening buffets. Our only complaint from foreign colleagues was that the rooms were too small.

My most recent stay, and the reason I felt compelled to leave this review, was for pleasure. A pleasant receptionist checks you in while you take in the lovely smell from a huge display of flowers. You're then directed to your room which is in another building next to the car park. A very small room which has outdated decor. There is no wardrobe, simply a rail above the kettle. The walls are very thin so you can hear the tv from next door. On my last stay the bathroom wasn't clean, there were toothpaste splashes on the back of the door along with 2 large dusty cobwebs. This on top of the very tired & shabby decorating, it's such a huge dissapointment after being in the main part of the hotel. The beds are not comfortable and the bedding is old, although clean. The hotel bar is a nice place to be but the drinks are very expensive, a pint of guinness and a coke was £8! The food was nothing special. I would highly recommend going into the village for drinks & food on an evening. The Dunchurch has massive potential to be an affordable luxury hotel if they just invested in renovating the bedrooms. For £50 per night it was ok, but this did not include breakfast, a mistake on our part as we didn't realise when we booked via Late Rooms. I wish we had booked a local b&b for similar money. Anyway, my husband paid for the breakfast. I chose not to eat as there were no warm veggie options. Oh dear, probably the worst cup of tea and the most hideous cup of coffee imaginable. Just terrible! Slimy cheap orange juice. The staff were walking around like zombies and were not at all attentive. We were given grubby coffee cups twice! Being sat in such a beautiful dining room with period features it just felt so wrong that we were having a bad stay. Come on Dunchurch refurbish your rooms, lower your bar prices & improve your breakfast quality.

There are some really good eateries in the village. In particular, the Indian restaurant, Omars. The carvery at the Huntsman is good value with lots of choice (our foreign guests loved it). The Dun Cow pub is also really good too but it's very busy.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra T
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Guests

I am sorry to read that your last visit was not as pleasant as the previous ones and comment on the issues you raised as follows.

I have spoken to my head housekeeper and brought the issues of hygiene to her attention – I am sorry and assure you this is not the norm and ask you to put it down to as an isolated incident.

As you stated you enjoyed your previous stays and must have been aware that all our bedrooms are detached from the main building as there has never been bedrooms in the main part of the building. With regards to the food it sadness me to read this as the present head chef has been here for a number of years and his food is constantly being complimented. Guests who dined in the aforementioned pub told us that our food is much better, besides one of them can only offer a carvery so I’m afraid you are not comparing like for like.

With regards to the bedroom I am glad you acknowledged that even thou the bedroom is small it represented value for money, same goes for the other bedrooms we have and if I may I would also like to add that you must have stayed during a very busy period as our policy is to upgrade guests free of charge. I would also like to learn where there is a B&B in Dunchurch for £50.00 as according to my research I could not find one.

I have sourced an alternative beverage supplier and from the beginning of April the bar prices will be reduced. I also take exception to your comments about the staff. Your comments are unfounded and our records show you are the only guests that made such complaints about the food and the staff.

I must conclude my reply by stating that I wish you brought the breakfast issues to the supervisor’s or better still the duty manager attention at least prior to departing as we could have at least attempted rectify any of the shortfalls including the breakfast and if seems deemed we could have even refunded you the charges. I also would like to mention that have you made the staff aware of your vegetarian needs the staff would have been delighted to accommodate your request with pleasure.

George Briffa
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I've dealt with Dunchurch Park Hotel on both a personal and professional level. Having conducted business with the hotel and finding both the grounds and the staff very nice I decided to use the venue on Valentine's Day, taking my partner for what was a fantastic meal in lovely surroundings, with very good entertainment from the Sinatra-esque singer. The range of facilities on hand for meetings/conferences is excellent for those so inclined. A well recommended venue all round.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Brownsover Hall Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!