“Wedding Event”
Review of Dunchurch Park

Dunchurch Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Lovely place for a wedding. All the staff were very helpful an excellent venue for photographs in the lovely garden settings with fish ponds, lawn vistas and old stone building plus of course the panoramic view from the terrace. Breakfast was also good with lots to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here one night attending a function. Tiny room tiny bed. Carpet really really falling apart. Curtains hanging off rails. Truly a bad experience. This is one to avoid. The bar was it's saving grace. Grounds looked okay but did not venture around. Tables at breakfast were big round tables that had to be shared with other guests. Please get some smaller tables. We were woken at 6 o'clock with a delivery outside the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank B1300BVPaw
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Visited the hotel to attend a wedding . The hotel is located within Rugby and is easily accessible . The hotel has adequate grounds around it . Cannot comment on the food as wedding party had catering from outside . The decor, rooms and location is very family friendly and I wouldn't mind going back .

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank lancashirelad
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed in Dunchurch Park for 5 days and nights. Great old palace, Good food and coffee & unbelievable landscape. But the room was smelly, no cupboard, was not cleaned once, and it was easy to know because the shedding paint was there through out my stay.
And the most painful part was the bed, very old mattress, sleeping in it was like sleeping in a soup bowl with the springs poking you for fun.
Moreover, couldn't change my room because it was fully booked.

Room Tip: Check the room especially the bed before you sign in. It is a short nice walk to town.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank HHkamel
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here twice now, seems like it is very much past it's golden days, carpets in the hallways are ripped and frayed, the lamps in room had lampshades hanging from them, the first time we stayed there we found two cockroaches in the bed. There was a wedding going on and the music could be heard over our tv until 11.30pm and wedding guests were loud and rowdy until early morning. The rooms are very dark, tiny television and very outdated decor. So so so disappointed, does not reflect on price at all!!

Stayed: May 2014
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Guest

I am so sorry to hear that your third visit was not enjoyable. I tried to locate which bedroom you stayed in so that I can address the lampshades issue but to no avail.

I am also sorry to hear that you were disturb by some wedding guests, we do try our best to manage our guests and control behavior when it is brought to our attention.

With regards to the carpets, we are in the process of replacing some of the carpets.

I am quite surprised to read that on your previous visit you found cockroaches in your bed. I looked at all complaints in the handover diary for the last twelve months and did not come across such complaint. What’s more astonishing is that cockroaches are usually found where food is and as our bedrooms are a fair distance away from any food outlet let alone they are situated on their own grounds away from any kitchens I am struggling to agree with your statement furthermore why didn't you raise the issue before?

I suppose because this sight permits such statement to be published without any hard evidence anyone can write what they want

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Myself and my husband got married here on 29/3/14 .
All we could say is what an absolutely stunning venue . We fell in love with this amazing place .
The staff were very attentive and and made us feel like royalty .
All our guests were completely amazed with the service received .
We took one of the venues wedding packages and it was deffinatley good value for money .
Nothing was too much for our wedding co- ordinator Lucy .
If you want a wedding venue to remember we would recommend this venue to any couple .

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Emblondey
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Nice hotel. Have been here before but this time experience only average, which is disappointing.

I had to wait for some time to check in....only one person on reception, who was on telephone, I arrived at 8pm. I had to stand and wait at least 10 mins before getting attention.

Once attended to I asked if room service was available (I have to say I had experienced a 5 hour delay on M6 on getting to hotel), I just wanted to get checked in and have a meal in my room. I was told quite abruptly room service was not available and not part of the service.

I find this rather astonishing and not good customer service.

Irrespective of that I did go to restaurant & bar......which is difficult to establish where it is, but on finding it, is really not visitor friendly regarding signposts.

On reaching restaurant and bar, staff were excellent. Regarding menu...very poor, food delivery good, food content very average, value for money...poor.to very poor.

I am sorry to see that in past year this hotel standards have fallen significantly, which is a pity. But on finding restaurant and bar service was excellent. Menu was poor and rather expensive as to what you get.

Regarding hotel visit I did ask for a telephone call wake up...that did not happen..a good job I brought my own alarm clock. I had made a specific request for an early wake up call..but no-wake up call given. Very poor service.

It is a pity as this hotel has lovely settings. I do not know what has happened with this hotel but certainly standards have dropped significantly over this past year.

Room Tip: This could be an excellent hotel, just be aware of its drawbacks, such a shame
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write the review about your latest experience.

I am sorry to hear about our shortfalls and as much as the team try hard we do not get it right all the time. We did experience a situation last week where I had one member of staff on holiday and another one on sick leave which sometimes left us VERY short on reception.

However being spoken to abruptly is not something I will tolerate and will be speaking to the Reception Manager about this issue at my earliest opportunity as well as the failure to carry out the early morning call.

I must challenge your statement though regarding the service gone downhill over the last year just because of an isolated and unfortunate experience. I will leave the readers to conclude if they agree with you once they’ve had the opportunity to read other reviews, specially the one posted after yours.

It is worth mentioning that the reason why we have not offered room service for the last 6 years or so; because the bedrooms are detached from the main building and when we did offer room service the food temperature plummeted causing the guests to complain hence the reason why we abolished room service. If you asked for some sandwiches or salads I am very positive we would have served you with pleasure. Maybe the 5 hour journey reflected your views of Dunchurch Park!

Having said the above I or the duty manager would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss these issues in person.

Yours

George Briffa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
4 mi away
Travelodge Rugby Central
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
#1 of 1 in Easenhall

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!