“Nice grounds, rooms only ok”
Review of Dunchurch Park

Dunchurch Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for a wedding (which was fantastic) but the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Firstly we could only check in to our rooms after 3pm which was fine but of course then you have everyone coming at the one time and only one person on reception. Obviously the manager is not the brightest to only have one person covering the time everyone is told to come back at. The woman that was on when we came back at 3pm was certainly a charmer. She sent us to 3 rooms before we finally found one that was clean (is there any communication between the housekeeping staff and front desk??) Saying that we tried to ring the front desk from each room instead of have to hike all the way back to reception (in high heels) each time but naturally she did not answer. Each time we went back, not once did she apologize but tried instead to blame some other girl that was on earlier - I was not interested in whose fault it was, we wasted about 45 mins going back and forth between the 3 rooms. Other than her, all staff were extremely nice and polite. The rooms are tiny and not in great condition, torn curtains, worn carpet but beds were clean and bathroom though not gleaming was ok. The grouting in the bath needs a good scrubbing. Rooms are in outbuilding so expect a good walk. Dont think I would stay her again.

Room Tip: In the low numbers, the teens and twenties. The block those rooms are in are nicer rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We recently stayed for two nights for a family wedding. While the grounds and the building itself were stunningly beautiful, the rooms left a lot to be desired. We paid £180 for two nights and were sorely disappointed. Really wish I'd read the reviews on here before I had booked.

Firstly I reserved my room online some months ago, I phoned up a few weeks before the stay to check our booking and to see what the situation was with breakfast. I was told by quite a sharp woman that because I had booked online I was not entitled to breakfast, and that I should have phoned to make my booking if I wanted breakfast. Fantastic. Ended up going to Sainsbury's upon arrival to get breakfast sorted for the two mornings I was there.

After checking in myself and my partner made our way to our room. The building our room was in was incredibly dated and smelt musty. We found our room and were shocked at how small it was, even more shocked when we discovered it was a 'disabled room' as there was barely enough room for us to move around let alone a wheelchair user. I don't believe the floor had been vacuumed as there were bits all over it, we found an empty box of fake eyelashes on the floor, proving that who ever had 'cleaned' the room hadn't done a very good job as it was one of the first things I noticed when I went in the room. The bathroom was incredibly dated, and I was disgusted when I found a towel with a strange reddish mark on it. Luckily I had packed a towel for us. I then attempted to use the Iron in the room which was in a holder on the wall- upon taking the iron the metal holder it was in fell to the floor and landed on my foot. Great. Frustratingly there was only one bedside table. There were lights above the bed only one of which worked. The wall paper was peeling and the whole room just felt incredibly shoddy.

We had booked two nights as the wedding we were attending was an early morning one. We had booked to stay the night before the wedding as it would have meant and early get up as we are not from the area. I can honestly say we would have been better off not staying the first night, instead we should have travelled up on the morning of the wedding. The walls must be made of paper as I could hear everything my neighbours were doing (and they weren't being excessively loud by any means) even down to them turning the light switch on or boiling their kettle. We ended up having incredibly disturbed sleep both nights, and having been quite ill recently I could have done without the hassle. Even more frustratingly, our friends had booked to stay only for the night of the wedding, we had a look at their room when they checked in and it was far nicer, for a start it looked like it had been cleaned, far more modern, a much nicer bathroom and room to actually move (room 6).

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely venue for a wedding, the grounds are kept beautifully and make for beautiful wedding photos, but I'd rather have booked into the travelodge down the road. Only decent thing really was the free wifi and the 11am checkout time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Aurora113
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Was there for a friends wedding. Stayed in 2 different rooms and the qaulity varied greatly. Room 18 was fantastic, clean, modern and cool. Room 16a was a bit worn and hot. Brekkie was excellant, staff super helpful and a lovely wedding venue. Great photo opportunities.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Went to wedding and stayed the night.rooms small but clean with free wi-fi. Beautiful grounds to walk around lots of work gone into them, pitch and put and tennis court.Very nice breakfast all you need and easy to get to. Would be a nice weekend break.Rooms are in separate block from main building.Best to book via agent,via hotel cost more.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank pmitch22
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Do you know what, i don't pay for my hotel stays and if wanted I could pay £150 a night and be bored out of my tree so I purposely look for rooms on late rooms or trip adviser that on the face of it are good value for money and this one didn't disappoint. The room wasn't massive but it was clean reasonably decked out and the bed very comfortable, for £40 an night it was very good value even with the £12.50 for the breakfast I was quite happy, great grounds a good bar and a reasonable meal although there isn't a lot of choice. Didn't go into Dunchurch as the weather was bad but trip advisor highlights a couple of decent restaurants quite close by.
I expect there are some pretty decent rooms as the place caters for weddings if your that fussy, but if your a person pretty chilled like me then it's for you.
No complaints at all

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rumplestilskinny
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We attend a family wedding here last weekend, although the room the ceremony was held in and the grounds were lovely, the accommodation was not. The hall carpets are dirty and ripped the paintwork in the room we were in was dirty and chipped. We had a double room which had only one chair and one bedside table. The small lights above the bed worked for all of 30 seconds before going out and refusing to come back on, leaving only the harsh over head lights. The room was very hot, no air-con and windows that only opened a little way and even if we could have opened them any further that would have been impossible because of the amount of trees up against the window. We did ask for a fan and was told no fans. The bathroom had mold on the tiles and also no fan to remove steam of smells.

Breakfast was a sever yourself which like all these styles was cold.

Nice place to get married but I would not recommend an overnight stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife book a night (4th Aug 2014) online Via booking.com and requested a twin room, on arrival the receptionist was polite and helpful, but when we got to the room to our disappointment the room was a double not a twin (I booked a twin due to medical reason). But as it was for one night we managed to muddle through but my husband didn't get much rest. So our night away for our wedding anniversary wasn't the best, also the room door lock doesn't lock properly ( you have to lift the key in the lock while turning it). Also the shower screen was mucky and we cleaned it with tissue and water, there was only enough body wash/soap and shower cap for one person, there wasn't any glasses in the room unlike every other places we have stayed, the tiles in the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly (could do with re-grouting) on checking out the lady was polite but not in my opinion bothered about our stay or even asked how our stay was more interested in taking payment. Emailed the manager when we got back and he's reply was if he gave us compensation then we wouldn't be complaining. so much for customer service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark H
Officereplies, General Manager at Dunchurch Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Reviewer

Further to several emails of correspondence between to the two of us. I have profusely apologised for not allocating you a twin bedded bedroom, as I explained a human error occurred when the reservationist inputted your reservation in the system.

I also profusely apologised for the lack of toiletries and for the negativeness from the receptionist on check out. The staff’s attitude is constantly praised so I can only put this as a very isolated incident.

I have also stated how sad I was to read your complaint as if you raised the issue immediately it would have taken us literally minutes to change your bedroom as a twin room was available just one bedroom away from the bedroom allocated. Your reply to me was that as I have not offered you some sort of refund you will be expressing your disappointment on review sites, I then replied “what would your review be had I offered you compensation”

At £55.00 bed and breakfast for two guests I am positive that our rates represent excellent value for money

Yours

George Briffa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Brownsover Hall Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
#1 of 1 in Easenhall

Been to Dunchurch Park? Share your experiences!