“not what it pretends to be”

Village Green Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunchurch
Village Green Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Dunchurch
england uk
“not what it pretends to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed for one night at this hotel there were no staff on duty we had to let ourselves in via
the key pad and our key was left in an envelope on the counter of the deserted reception the room was clean and tidy but I would say it had at sometime been a storeroom of some kind and had been turned into a bedroom the facilities en suite etc were ok but the mattress was rock hard I had a poor nights sleep and my wife had no sleep at all, the full english breakfast was to be fair very good and we did see the elusive staff for a brief period just as we checked out had this been advertised as a three star B&B I would,nt have expected anything better but to advertise its self as a four star award winning hotel is deceiving to say the least the awards were dated 2002 and as for four stars ! this in my opinion is at best a three star B&B the photo,s on the web site flatter to deceive as there is a municiple carpark and a country bus shelter right outside as an overnight stay it was ok saved mainly by the standard of food at breakfast would I stay here again may be but not in the same room and only for one night .

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank speedbrush

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dartford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

I can only reiterate all the positive comments in reviews that have gone before, super people, comfortable room, although not huge (we were in no.1 on the ground floor), but we were only paying £59 per night for double room and good buffet breakfast for two, so that's value for a start. We stayed 2 nights. Very clean, convenient to Rugby (only 4/5 miles away - we got to Rugby School in 15 minutes by car on the Saturday), and delightful historic village to walk around.

Don't forget this is really a B & B, so no restaurant, and reception manned until 5pm only and for a few hours in the morning. But the password system works well when you first arrive, with a key thereafter which is left for you at reception.

We travel a lot, often in some luxury, but this was super and even the wife liked it, so it must be good - it just had a great feel to it, and staff interaction with the guests as we experienced and overheard, was excellent..

I've also done some restaurant reviews for Dunchurch village as well - there is a good variety of places to eat for such a small village..

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

Another last minute bargain £49.50 for a double room for one Saturday night this included breakfast.

We paid over the phone and were given a door code to get into the property as the reception is only manned at limited times. This was not an issue and we found our key and instructions easily enough. We stayed in the Elmsdene House at the back of the property. We walked in to find a lovely cream coloured cottage style room with a four poster bed. Both the bedroom and bathroom were very clean. The room also had a flat screen T.V. and tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was amazingly comfortable and on a par with ours at home.

The information led us to believe that it is only a continental breakfast at weekends and a full English breakfast buffet on weekdays. It also said we needed to vacate the room by 10am. We thought we best give breakfast a miss to get out in time. It turned out there was a full English breakfast buffet and the staff had saved it for us which was a pleasant surprise. The lady was very friendly and was still prepared to cook for us even though breakfast had ended at 9.30am.

I would say this hotel is a little out of Rugby in Dunchurch (but that is what we wanted as we needed to be close to Bilton). Dunchurch is a very pretty village with lots of chocolate box thatched cottages therefore the area was beautifully quiet.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
cold up north
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

A real little gem of a hotel bang in the middle of the picture postcard village of Dunchurch. My wife and I stayed here during the end of may bank holiday looking for somewhere quieter than Rugby. The centre of the village is anything but quiet, but don't let that put you off, there are some beautiful strolls to be had around the area of the church and the village has some important historical connections. The hotel gave us a very warm greeting and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The room (we had room #2) was as clean as a nuns conscience, the only gripe being it had a tiny bathroom. A comfortable bed was complimented by fluffy pillows and a thick, quality bedspread. On sunday morning we had a hot buffet breakfast which was faultless. Small, personal touches make all the difference. Parking was easy, even on a bank holiday. And free.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank corneleus
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2007

What an enterprise this hotel is! Apart from rooms in the main hotel building, there are rooms and apartments in the houses behind the hotel with their own entrances and car parks. All completely re-furbished in stylish form and subtle colours. We stayed in Gallery 1, a room up some outside steps in a little group of three rooms: there was a nice shared lounge, and a kitchen and breakfast eating area. Ideal for a family group. We had a very comfortable bed and a large modern bathroom. All spotless and comfortable if a reasonably modest size.
There is free broadband Wi Fi all over the hotel. There is a Coach House with various bedrooms a Lodge House, and a thatched cottage, as well as Elmdene House with rooms and a nice lounge with a full size snooker table! Some accommodation is let by the month to people who are e.g. house hunting. We had excellent English breakfasts (including very good black pudding), served by mature ladies who were extremely friendly and cheerful. Not cheap, but good value at £79.50 (£10 off normal price). We were impressed, and will recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Very comfortable bed, excellent breakfast, close proximity to good pub restaurant and other eateries.
  • Disliked — No views to speak of.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Sussex
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2007

Stayed at hotel for a couple of nights during business trip.
Was allocated the 'Victoria' room and a little taken aback to be greeted by a four poster bed when I entered the room but it was extremely comfortable.
Usual tea/coffee facilities. Room clean and hotel tidy.
My only problem was a noisy extractor fan in shower room which
decided to run until the early hours of the morning despite all my efforts of closing door, opening door etc.
Overall nice hotel in a nice village - check out the amazing carvery in the Huntsman Restaurant a few doors along, trust me you will not be left hungry no matter how big your appetite

• Liked — Hotel Character
  • Disliked — Noisy extractor fan in shower room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Terry2552
Cambridgeshire, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

My partner and I were going away for a quiet weekend together and wanted to stay at a nice village hotel. Having read the other reviews on Trip Advisor I thought that this hotel sounded perfect.

We stayed in the "Gallery" which is a small annex of three rooms which are slightly separate from the main hotel.

The positive things about the hotel are that the rooms are large, beautifully furnished, very comfortable and extremely clean.

The negative things were that:
(a) when we stayed the weather was about 25 degrees C and even then the bedrooms were extremely hot and very stuffy.
(b) 2 of the rooms in the gallery are directly above a very busy, narrow road. Therefore, when you open the windows to get some air to cool the room down the noise is unbelieveable. The road gets a huge amount of lorry traffic all day/evening and from about 5am. It is quite a narrow road and therefore the lorries hit the curbs constantly and make a tremendous crashing noise each time. I am very noise sensive so I wear earplugs but even those couldn't keep out the noise. My partner who can sleep through most things couldn't sleep because of the noise.
(c) the curtains in the rooms are very pretty but don't keep any light out at all. You can read a book without additional light from 5am (which is handy I suppose as you are probably awake from the heat and the traffic noise).
(d) in the gallery there is a small breakfast area where they leave out the continental breakfast and you make it yourself. Bearing in mind you are paying about £80 per night for a double room we couldn't understand why they didn't provide breakfast at the main hotel.

When I very gently brought up these issues with the hotel receptionist, she didn't look at me while I was talking (carried on working) and then said "did I put it on the feedback card?". There was no apology or attempt at showing any genuine interest. This was particularly poor. I have worked in the hospitality industry myself for a number of years and, had I been a stroppy client, she would have inflamed the situation by ignoring me. As it was, I was so exhausted from lack of sleep that I just gave up.

Overall, would I stay at this hotel again? Well, my partner says absolutely "no". I don't think I would either as there are a number of hotels in the area for a similar price and we had a really bad experience at this one. It's a shame really because I think it is probably a nice hotel. I suppose I might go back if they could guarantee that I was going to be in a quiet room with curtains that kept out the light.

• Liked — nicely furnished, clean rooms
  • Disliked — heat, noise, curtains that didn't keep the light out
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Padfink

Travellers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Dunchurch Park
Premier Inn Rugby North (Newbold) Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
Golden Lion Hotel & Inn
#1 of 1 in Easenhall

Been to Village Green Hotel? Share your experiences!