“Mixed Feeling - Like a box of chocolates as Forest Gump says”
Review of Dun Cow

Dun Cow
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Dunchurch
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: The Dun Cow in Dunchurch is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We visited this place from the recommendation of the B&B we stayed at on Saturday 19/4/2014. The staff were fantastic. We booked in advance, but the place was so buzzing, we had to wait. Which is not a problem as they provided some colouring material for my toddler, to keep him busy. And I had the chance to drink an ale, which was brilliant. 20 mins later, we got our table. We ordered our food - its a simple pub food, with some specials. My wife chose a vege burger and I chose chicken and ham pie. We had onion rings as starters. We were very impressed with quality of food, my pie had beautiful puff pastry, the chicken and ham with creamy sauce was yummy and hot (and I know my food very well!) and it was delicious. And the same for my wife's vege burger which had traces of feta in it. It gave that yummy taste. Excited about this place, the staff assistance and feeling it wont go wrong, we booked in advance for Sunday (20/14/2014) in fear of not getting a place to eat, for our friends (another family with 2 kids) and us....

And oh bad the feeling went wrong....

Although the place wasn't busy at all, it took the waiter 20 mins to come and get our drinks order. And another 20 mins for food. My friend ordered the chicken and ham pie as I was raving about it, I had the Sunday Vintage Roast and my wife had the Sunday Chicken Roast. The kids had kids menu but I am surprised when they arrived (kids food), they looked so dull. No veg, no colours (green peas, orange carrots, sweet corn etc) and was less appetising. Anyway our food came and it wasn't hot at all. The food were luke warm. My friends puff pastry looked slightly burnt. As she was digging, she asked me if this is how it should look like. I kept assuring her, she needs to dig further in as the good stuff is inside. 5 mins later, she tells me something is not right, as its too dry. When we "dissected" the puff, there was no creamy sauce inside!! It was just chicken on its own. Either they forgot to put the creamy sauce or they evaporated the ones they've put. As we were too engrossed to our conversation earlier, it was then we actually noticed problems on our food....my sunday lunch didnt come with yorkshire pudding (it should, and they didnt tell me they didnt have one) and my wife ordered a sunday chicken roast, but she got a barbecue chicken instead.

We called one of the managers and reported all 3 issues and I suspected something wasn't right and it turns out to be the chefs of Saturday were different than of Sunday's, which explained the change of the food texture and presentation. The manager kindly offered to take those food we complained about off our bill and provide desert on the house (this came after only two out of 4 ordered the desert as the other two were disappointed and decided not to order). They did apologise, but my wife and I were left totally embarrassed after we raved about this place so much to the other couple and it left all of us disappointed.

Would I go again? I am not sure, as it isn't consistent, you'd be lucky if you got the same chef I did for the Saturday!

1  Thank OneSt0p
There are newer reviews for Dun Cow

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We go to this pub (with bedrooms), restaurant with friends, family and sometimes just the two of us. The food is sometimes very tasty, sometimes a bit disappointing, but the atmosphere of the Dun Cow is great, as it is very popular the noise level can get a bit overpowering at times, but it has a very warming, relaxing and jovial feeling about the place. The staff are very pleasant and helpful and dependent on the amount of people at any one time, the service is generally good, but can be slow on the odd occasion. Roaring log fires, decor 'men's study', good place for a celebration but probably not a quiet chat (Friday, Saturday night in particular). I would definitely recommend you try the Dun Cow.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The pub itself is a lovely setting, but the management is cleat appalling!!! The staff have no interest in what they are doing and don't seem to do anything with any urgency! I have visited this pub on a number of occasions and on each and every time have experienced a long wait at the bar (even when there is no queue), unfriendly and incompetent staff and below average food always served luke warm and overpriced! It's such a shame as it's perfectly located and the decor is lovely! I would rather visit the Green Man across the road, where the decor is tired but the staff are friendly, attentive and the food is too notch and incredibly good value!

4  Thank Matty1943
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We went on Sunday evening on recommendation of nearby Travelodge; set menu excellent quality; very nice atmosphere; and friendly, courteous and responsive staff

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had our wedding meal for 25 guests here. Stephen the manager was great as were all the staff. No complaints from any guest re the food and everyone had a great day. A lovely place with good atmosphere and service.
Thank you Stephen to you and all your staff.
Been here before and will be back again.