“Waitresses Amazing, Food very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dun Cow

Dun Cow
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Dunchurch
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Soups
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Dun Cow in Dunchurch is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Waitresses Amazing, Food very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My Wife and her mother and Aunt and my parents met for dinner last Sunday. It was a lovely evening so we took drinks outside and it was very busy and enjoyable. The bar staff brought out the drinks to save me carrying a large tray. Nice touch.

When we decided to take the table, Helen and her lady manager were excellent at assisting my aged father to a chair with arms to assist getting in and out of it and looking after my wife aged mother as well.

Helen was very patient with the order as my wife's parents needed a lot of time to choose and decide.

The starters were excellent. my mother and I both had Prawn cocktail, well presented, with nice bread. My mother is not a big fan of bread, however it was so nice that even my mam ate most of it.

My wife shared with her parents the sharing platter which was good, the brie and red onion being a particular hit.

Main courses were not as great. Three of us went for the James Martin steak pie. Now as reader know I love beef and being a farmer's son ( dad was sat next me) I was looking forward to a fellow Yorkshire man's pie. The restaurant really let him down. The pasty top casing on top of the pie dish was soggy and the pie filling was tepid at best though some bits (mushrooms) were hot. All three of the pies were exactly the same quality.

My wife and mother went for the same dish though one had salmon which looked great yet my mother's looked a little more charred. The chips had also been left on the side too long as well so were not hot either.
My dad's loin of cod in batter was excellent and flaked beautifully, again though the chips were disappointing.

Puddings were ok, the giant eclair was a little dry but the filling was very nice.

I mentioned to Helen that the pies and fries and she was very interested to hear the feedback and acted immediately. Not asking for discount, purely supplying feedback, they offered to discount the meal which was very generous of them.

Perhaps it was a group of 6 that was the issue? though I expected more.

• Visited May 2014

• Polish first
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I went here as we were passing through so by mistake really. It was a great mistake.
We had a Sunday lunch platter and the food was just perfect. The meat was cooked just right, the vegetables were obviously fresh as you could really taste them and there was plenty of it, great value for money.
We were served by Jaye who was lovely, friendly and attentive but not too over the top.
We have eaten in a lot of local places for Sunday lunch but will definitely travel the extra miles to go here in future.

Visited May 2014
“Excellent Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The first time my wife and I ate here we were looking for somewhere for a group of us to have a meal before our wedding. We were sat down promptly service was attentive and the food was on point. We both had steak which was cooked to perfection.

Our latest trip was for a booking for 30 people. We were all sat down promptly and looked after for all the time we were there. Drinks were kept topped up, orders taken promptly and the room was nice with a good traditional feel to it. On this occasion i opted for the Pork Belly. And as before this was cooked to perfection and the portion size more than adequate! I finished my meal off with an Ice Cream Sundae which again was more than enough in size.

Overall the two meals I've had here have been excellent and I'd recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited April 2014
Wellesbourne Hastings, United Kingdom
“Past glory ? Not a great customer experience.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

A lunch nostalgic stop at he Dun Cow wasn't up to its old and reliable standard.

Empty bar, but had to call over to barmen to serve me, chatting to each other without much interest in serving.
Bar was wet with beer, tables not cleared.

Sat outside in courtyard, but surroundings were tired, not maintained, felt a bit industrial..

Doom bar beer ok.

Sandwich came as a roll, sloppily arranged and just about ok.

Management here need to pay more attention - staff should be fussed on customers, clean and tidy outside space and attention to looks for food.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Rob V
“What a cracking pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic Saturday lunchtime treat to eat and drink at this pub. The staff were very welcoming and friendly as well as professional. They clearly enjoyed their jobs. The choice of beer (real ale) as well as lager was impressive I would recommend "Proper Beer" from St Austell brewery - magnificent. The food was well priced, not cheap but good value and very tasty. Try the treacle cured salmon for something a little different.

We'll be back!