“Disappointing service ”

Dun Cow
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Dunchurch
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: The Dun Cow in Dunchurch is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Disappointing service ”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We went for a meal at the Dun Cow on the Monday of the recent bank holiday.

We ordered a tear and share garlic bread while we looked at the menu (there were 7 of us, it was going to take some time!) Unfortunately, the garlic bread was cold when it came out some time later. New sharer breads were brought out, but this had far too much garlic butter for my liking and the breads weren't really easy to tear or share.

The starters came and were nice enough.

The mains, again were nice enough. Though one of our party had ordered the starter fish cakes as a main (as included on the menu). When it came, with the mains, we had been provided with the starter version and no side of potatoes. When we complained, the potatoes came out eventually, followed by another fish cake starter!

We had teas and coffees after our meal, and these took a while to come.

The bill then wrongly included the fish cake starter twice.

Overall, it was just a bit disappointing. There seemed to be enough staff and although the pub was busy, the mistakes made were not great (one or two issues would have been understandable).

• Polish first
Nuneaton
“Pub food at it's best.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Ate here on a very busy Saturday. Had not pre-booked but had no problem getting a table for four. Drinks were served promptly and our waitress Anita was very efficient. Don't know how often the menu changes but it was more than adequate for four people with differing tastes. The food was delicious and served with a smile which always makes a dining experience worthy of an extra star in the ratings! Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will certainly return very soon. Well done. P.S. Scrummy pork belly!!

Rugby
“Interesting historically.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I live near by and use it as my local..The food and service is mainly above average and improving. Historically most interesting as Brunel and others celebrated the completion of Kilsby railway tunnel at the Cow, eating and drinking I believe until 6 am. Also I believe that the film of "Tom Brown's Schooldays featured the courtyard archway with the coach arriving. At one time Rugby was known as Rugby near Dunchurch until the railway had to pass through Rugby.

St Albans, United Kingdom
“Waitresses Amazing, Food very average”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My Wife and her mother and Aunt and my parents met for dinner last Sunday. It was a lovely evening so we took drinks outside and it was very busy and enjoyable. The bar staff brought out the drinks to save me carrying a large tray. Nice touch.

When we decided to take the table, Helen and her lady manager were excellent at assisting my aged father to a chair with arms to assist getting in and out of it and looking after my wife aged mother as well.

Helen was very patient with the order as my wife's parents needed a lot of time to choose and decide.

The starters were excellent. my mother and I both had Prawn cocktail, well presented, with nice bread. My mother is not a big fan of bread, however it was so nice that even my mam ate most of it.

My wife shared with her parents the sharing platter which was good, the brie and red onion being a particular hit.

Main courses were not as great. Three of us went for the James Martin steak pie. Now as reader know I love beef and being a farmer's son ( dad was sat next me) I was looking forward to a fellow Yorkshire man's pie. The restaurant really let him down. The pasty top casing on top of the pie dish was soggy and the pie filling was tepid at best though some bits (mushrooms) were hot. All three of the pies were exactly the same quality.

My wife and mother went for the same dish though one had salmon which looked great yet my mother's looked a little more charred. The chips had also been left on the side too long as well so were not hot either.
My dad's loin of cod in batter was excellent and flaked beautifully, again though the chips were disappointing.

Puddings were ok, the giant eclair was a little dry but the filling was very nice.

I mentioned to Helen that the pies and fries and she was very interested to hear the feedback and acted immediately. Not asking for discount, purely supplying feedback, they offered to discount the meal which was very generous of them.

Perhaps it was a group of 6 that was the issue? though I expected more.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Best Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I went here as we were passing through so by mistake really. It was a great mistake.
We had a Sunday lunch platter and the food was just perfect. The meat was cooked just right, the vegetables were obviously fresh as you could really taste them and there was plenty of it, great value for money.
We were served by Jaye who was lovely, friendly and attentive but not too over the top.
We have eaten in a lot of local places for Sunday lunch but will definitely travel the extra miles to go here in future.

Visited May 2014