“Cozy and traditional with very good food”

The Fox and Hounds Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Fox and Hounds pub is listed as a hotel but not as a restaurant. As it only has three rooms and the food is wonderful.
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I took my better half to the Fox and Hounds for her birthday in late November.

I’ve typically got mixed feelings about the Cotswolds; despite living in one of the most expensive boroughs in London (Richmond), there are times when parts of the area feel just a bit too “OK YA” and posh caps in red corduroys for me. Close your eyes in some Cotswold pubs, listen to the voices, and you’d be forgiven for thinking you were in an upmarket Chelsea watering hole.

It was a big relief to discover that this was anything but one of those places. This is a pretty village blessed with a wholly unpretentious and genuinely friendly pub that has ‘traditional and charming’ down to a tee.

Our room for the night was a very good size and really reasonable money. Food was excellent – a big thanks to the chef for switching the menu from de-facto veggie option, risotto, and producing a truly excellent Thai veggie curry for the birthday girl. My steak and chips was also very good (and I’ve eaten a lot of that stuff!).

The evening only got better when we noticed Hartley. Who? Hartley - a very handsome Rex rabbit owned by a friendly local. He (Hartley that is) spent the entire evening sitting on the bar eating peanuts in such a relaxed manner that anyone would think a rabbit sitting nonchalantly on the bar of a busy pub is the most normal thing in the world. Apparently, he’s a regular. Given that our menagerie includes five rescue rabbits, you can imagine how chuffed we were.

Overall, the whole evening was one of those cosy, log fire, low lighting, good food and a great atmosphere nights when everything feels just right and, with a few drinks blurring out the usual boring considerations (e.g. how would we get to work?), you find yourself wondering if you really ought to up-sticks and move there tomorrow.

We left the next day, after a very good breakfast, with nothing but good things to say about the Fox and Hounds, its staff, the locals and, of course, Hartley.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Had eaten a small taster meal earlier in year that was exceptionally good.
Decided to visit again I spend a lot of my time travelling and my home in S/France so I do appreciate great food cooked by great Chefs. This Pub has both (Also a really friendly & welcoming team)
The meal was truly fantastic and the best duck I have had this year. It was complimented by superb mash potatoes with bacon & spring onions and 2 veg that tasted incredibly.
What a great Chef and what great local produce. I always find it difficult to recommend a restaurant but this is one not to miss.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Last night we had a delicious evening meal in this delightful old pub, the atmosphere is perfect, busy and bubbling with friendly people - it doesnt get any better. Excellent menu with choices for everyone. Lamb tangine was better than in Morocco, lemon sole was to die for - an enormous fish cooked in lemon butter and the menfolk had partridge which was the best they had ever had - can thoroughly recommend the puds too - service was first class attentive and thoughtful - we will definately be back here again, just sad we hadnt been before !!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Went there yesterday as halfway between us and parents-in law. Charming village pub. Landlady was so welcoming (tapas on bar to greet everyone). Her partner is the chef. Had the best roast pork I have ever tasted and that is saying something! Divine puddings. Bar full of local characters to liven up the atmosphere. Landlady said if we wanted a particular roast to call a few days before next visit and they would arrange it. All meat sourced locally and fresh homegrown vegetables. We will be back!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Had Sunday lunch at the Fox and Hounds and enjoyed it more than the Tripadvisor reviews had prepared us for! The eclectic menu allowed our group to choose from chilli with homemade tortilla chips, sea trout, peppered venison and rare roast sirloin of beef: no one was complaining! My venison medallions were in an aubergine, pine nuts and honey reduction, and the two were delicious together. Desserts featured a wicked chocolate pudding with marmalade ice cream, Eton Mess and a great homemade Bakewell Tart. Service was good, friendly but unhurried. Overall, the meal set a standard for other pubs to try to reach.