“Good food, pleasant atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The White Swan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Henley-in-Arden
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Henley-in-Arden
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good food, pleasant atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Only had experience of the restaurant as part of a large group. The smoked salmon, chicken and creme brulee were all very good. The food was hot and well cooked even though they were coping with a large number of (pre-ordered) meals.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and the surroundings had attractive character.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BorisBolero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Worcs, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My friend and I stayed here whilst on a trip to the Gems TV studios in nearby Redditch. Parts of the hotel date back over 600 years, and whilst it has been sympathetically refurbished in some areas, it retains its atmospheric charm. Our bedroom had been improved to a high standard with a brand new bathroom, new twin beds, carpet and furniture. The food was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. Lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Henley-in-Arden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

This is a lovely local pub, restaurant, and hotel. A business colleague recently stayed there and was 'over the moon' with the room and service.

I live locally and this has become my place of choice, in fact it is attracting 'faces' from a number of local pubs.

The beer is outstanding, I really appreciate a decent pint and am never disappointed when I visit the Swan. They normally have four regular real ales on draft and a guest. They have been awarded the much coveted 'Cask Condition' award for quality beers (I recommend the 'Purity' bitter, it is a regular feature).

Why not ask for a taste before you buy, the friendly staff are always pleased to help.

I have not eaten at the Swan recently, but I know people who have and they have been very happy, seeing some of the plates being served to diners in the main lounge area makes my mouth water.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Zometa
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

The restaurant at the White Swan is a little known gem of Henley. To start, the surroundings are modern, elegant and spacious, giving a wonderful atmosphere in which to enjoy your food. This restaurant has become a favorite as all of the food is freshly cooked and presented by what is clearly, a very talented chef. The choice is varied and interesting and all that I have tried so far has been excellent. This makes such a change from what I call "boil in the bag" restaurants where so many of the meals come into the restaurant pre-prepared and frozen. Here, the food is created freshly in the kitchen and served promptly and efficiently by the friendly waiting staff. To top it all the restaurant offers excellent value for money compared to most of the other "gastro pubs" in the area. Five Stars!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helimart
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

We have been to the White Swan three times in the last month. We eat once in the restaurant, once in the bar and also had the lunch menu. We have taken various friends, including some American friends, and at all times we had excellent food, drinks and service. We have not yet stayed in the rooms, but we have booked our Christmas meal with friends already, as we know the food will be up to the usual high standard. We eat out regularly both in Birmingham and London, and for good food and service, The White Swan is up there with the best!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Myself, my mother and my 15 month old son went to The Swan for lunch. We were greeted by an unkempt barmaid with a 'huh'. We found a table and searched for a high seat for my son. A member of staff eventually sorted one for me, cleaned it in front of me, managing to cover me and our table in cleaning products. The high chair was old, plastic was broken and my son got stuck in it. No member of staff came to help even though my son was in pain due to trapping his finger in the old plastic. At that point, after getting my son free from the deathtrap, we decided to leave without eating. Upon leaving, I went up to the bat just to let them know that they should get bigger and much safer highchairs. This was greeted with a sarcastic smile and a 'whatever'. Never, EVER going there again. Rude, horrible, disgusting attitudes and certainly not child friendly!!

• Stayed October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank spamcritter
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We and a group of our friends took all of the hotel rooms on a saturday night stay, we personally were in the Johnson Suite which was just fabulous, recently refurbished to an extremely high standard and in keeping with the hotels 12th century era. Beautiful beams, decor and lighting, an extremely comfortable and well dressed 4 poster bed and a perfect clean ensuite with a very large rain shower. Lovely bay window with good blinds and stylish voile curtain for privacy from the properties opposite.

I see others have commented about road noise, I'm not sure why you would comment on that knowing you are staying in a high street hotel which is a very old building (all the more charming for it!) , this wasn't really an issue for us at all (this room looks directly over the high street) Henley High Street has a lot of nice restaurants and pubs which is perfectly obvious for a high street so I would expect there to be hustle and bustle, part of the ambience I'd say!

As for the staff, we found the Manager, Zena and her assistant manager Richard to be brilliant, really proffesional when it mattered but great fun down to earth people who made ours and our friends stay just great. Could not fault the food or service, bar staff were all extremely friendly and in absolutely no way clicquey or abrupt. Breakfast was prompt, cooked fresh and done properly (no anaemic sausage or bacon here!) Check in and out was extremlely efficient. Lovely secure car park private to the hotel.

All of our other friends found their rooms to be made up really nicely and all were clean, everyone loved the food! Ok, some rooms are refurbished, others are waiting, but it is clear time and effort is being made to ensure this process is to a really high standard and will obviously take a little time. No corners cut here.

A truly charming and intriguing old building with a lot of history as a very old coaching inn, if you are looking for modern, straight lines and no character than this may not be for you, but this hotel is well presented as what it is, a beautiful old building with true character, brought into the 21st century tastefully and stylishly with greatly decorated rooms, friendly helpful and good fun staff, fantastic food and the most comfy restaurant chairs i've ever sat in! Absolutely no complaints here. Henley is a lovely town, a great base to explore other local areas too.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The suite is fabulous, two other double rooms are newly refurbished too with fab ensuites, all other...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank rjr330
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-in-Arden
BEST WESTERN PLUS Henley Hotel
Ardencote
#1 of 1 in Claverdon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,062 reviews
Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!