“Business hotel or road side motel???”

Best Western Plus Henley Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Henley-in-Arden
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Business hotel or road side motel???”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stay in Best western hotels all over the country and as a diamond elite card holder I think I know a good hotel to an average one. I chose this hotel due to the location I needed for work and that it was listed as a plus. It says newly refurbished rooms, well according to the staff it was last year, they also look very dated. The rooms are also very small, and cold. The bathroom is especially cold with a tile floor and almost no heat from the radiator. If you need a shaving point forget it here. The bathroom had dirt / gunge under the shower screen seal which needed cleaning, also if you are 6ft you will need to duck to get under the fixed shower head. The hotel staff are friendly and try their best. I planned to stay four nights bust cancelled after 2 as its far from the best western plus standard. I'm still looking for the reason why it has been awarded that grade. It has no redeeming factors, it looks like a typical motel that has had some building work done to place a covered walkway in front of the old room doors. Yes the reception and bar has had some work done, but covering a burnt cake in icing doesn't make it a show winner.
Would I stay again, would I recommend it, well if you like travel lodge the answer is yes, otherwise forget it. Its well overpriced for the standard expected for the price paid.

Room Tip: Don't bother unless you get a free upgrade to one of the suites
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
henleyhotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Henley Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. Our hotel was fully refurbished in April 2012, less than a year ago, still with on-going changes, improving the hotel all the time. Furthermore It is very disappointing to receive such a review as we work extremely hard to satisfy our customer's expectations but it is also more disappointing that none of your experiences were discussed with any member of staff at the time of your visit, if they were we would have obviously tried to rectify them at the time, rather than retrospectively discussing them without any verification; Every hotel across the country is unique from the next and we are aware that they don’t suit everyone individual taste’s. Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel we take seriously your comments and will act that they are not repeated.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Henley Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Each year I stay at the Henley and each year I have been happy and will return. Yes, the rooms are of miniscule size but I have found this with most rooms in UK hotels. They are fine for single occupancy but last year when there was two of us we were VERY cramped and I would not do that again. All the receptionists are wonderful and cannot do enough for you. Food is good (both morning and night) Wonderful shower with plenty of hot water and lovely giant size towels.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
henleyhotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Henley Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. We more than appreciate your loyalty to hotel and nothing makes us happier than hearing your positive feedback regarding our Food and Staff, and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team. Nothing is more important to us than our guest’s satisfaction. All our rooms do vary in size and we do offer larger rooms, and in future if you were looking to share again then booking one of our suites (which are larger) may be something to look into. We thank you for your comments and appreciate everything you have said. We do hope to see you back again next year.
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stayed here for just one night and found it the place small and awkward. The room (number 2, ground floor) was small and filled mainly with the bed. I stayed for business and was not long in the room which I am quite grateful for. I noticed stratight away that it was not very warm but had to go straight out and did nothing about it. But later on I tried to get it warmer (This was mid February and snow was on the ground) but found that the valves to both the radiators were blocked at setting 3 (max. 5). The radiators were just warm. They had no chance of heating the room or the bathroom. (My colleague who had the room next door had the same experience and said he would not come again). Call me soft but the bathroom should be warm - coming out of a shower (very good, by the way) was a chilling experience.
I mentioned this to the receptionist on leaving the next day and she confirmed that this blocking of the radiators to max. setting 3 is company policy. The company should let the customers set their own temperature!! Otherwise the hotel was OK for 88 pounds. Breakfast was adequate but yet again no Marmite!

Room Tip: Not in rooms 2 or 3.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
henleyhotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Henley Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. As a Hotel we found the rooms were becoming too hot for guests to stay in, so to make them more comfortable we lowered the temperature of the radiators to a maximum setting of 3 and we felt this was more than warm enough for our guests and their rooms, we haven’t been aware of any such problem since this has been done. However we have took your comments on board and the room you stated in especially will be looked at. With Regards to Marmite, we have found it’s a required taste and is a very unpopular choice; we do however offer other spreads, such as marmalade, honey, strawberry and raspberry jam. Once again we thank you for your comments and appreciate everything you have said.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Happy to book again and this time I found the twin on ground floor bigger and better for working. Phone reception is bad on three but you get free wifi. Rooms are bit expensive I feel but the meals at nite a good value and nice. Breaky is excellent and service good. Would call again

• Stayed February 2012
henleyhotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Henley Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. I’m happy to hear your positive feedback about your stay with us. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. Once again we thank you for your comments and appreciate everything you have said. We do hope you’ll come back and stay with us again in the future.
stratford-upon-avon
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night on 19th Jan 2013 following a wedding. We stayed in the Shakespeare Suite which was very nice and soft furnishings lovely, however it was the next morning when we faced a couple of problems. My husband who is a plumber and fits luxury bathrooms for a living discovered that there was no shaver socket in the bathroom ok if staying one night but not good if staying longer and the shower valve had been fitted upside down which affected the hot and cold flow. He said he wouldn,t employ who did it. Breakfast was ok but the fruit selection was a slice of melon when it quoted grapefruit and prunes on the menu and it lacked a bit of attention to detail. However the staff were brilliant especially Monika receptionist and Albert who provided the transport to and from wedding venue was lovley..

Room Tip: Our room was lovely but saver scoket needs sorting and shower valve corrected
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. I’m happy to hear your positive feedback regarding your room, we try to offer our guests a warm welcoming and comfortable stay. Nothing is more important to us than our guest’s satisfaction. We are aware of the problems men face with shavers and we will be investing in a portable shaving adapter, furthermore I will look into your comments regarding the bathroom as I was not aware there was any such problem, as this is the first I’ve heard of such problem. Regarding our breakfast menu this is something we are reviewing at this present time and we will be looking to improve this in the future. I thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and your compliments shall be passed on. Once again we thank you for your comments and appreciate everything you have said. We do hope you’ll come back and stay with us again in the future.
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a family wedding. Its a great little hotel. We had the Warwick suite I think and it was just amazing, great size, plushly decorated with floor to ceiling ( nearly) headboard, lovely bathroom. My sisters suite was even more beautiful, turquoise and cream, great size, just gorgeous. I'll say my negatives, the bar was dear, I suppose as they have a captive audience. Some of the other rooms were quite small that other family members had. But prices were reasonable, breakfast was self serve but very delicious, hot and a good choice. Would happily stay again. A little unassuming gem on the outskirts of a lovely little village.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Mrs-Lennox-Dale
henleyhotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Henley Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. I’m delighted to hear your positive feedback regarding your stay. As you found out on the day, all our rooms do vary in size and Executive suites are bigger than our double rooms. I’m really thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay nothing is more important to us than our guest’s satisfaction. We thank you for your comments and appreciate everything you have said. We do hope you’ll come back and stay with us again in the future.
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I booked this hotel the night before a meeting in warwick and what a little cracker it is.
the lounge area is a little dated in design but when I got to the bedroom, It was a good size and modern. Dinner and breakfast could not be bettered and I especially loved the real loaf of bread for my toast. Thank you and I will be staying again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
henleyhotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Henley Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Hotel, we appreciate everything you say. It’s wonderful to hear your positive feedback regarding our hotel and we’re pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us as nothing is more important to us than our guest’s satisfaction. We’re delighted to hear you’ll come back and stay with us again in the future. Once again we thank you for your comments and appreciate everything you have said.
General Manager of Henley Golf & Country Club and Henley Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-in-Arden
The Oak Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
#9 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Best Western Plus Henley Hotel? Share your experiences!