“Avoid the lasagne”
Review of Beambridge Inn

Beambridge Inn
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Visited here as part of a group of 22 journalists. The carvery option was not available so we made do with lasagne in the function room. This is the first lasagne I have had when the accompanying salad was WARMER than the lasagne itself. I know it can be difficult to cater for groups, but even when compared with a school dinner it was pretty dire. A colleague went for the vegetarian option and reckoned it was the worst brie he had ever tasted. Given that Somerset brie is generally excellent I wondered where this brie had come from. On the plus side, the latte served while I was waiting for lunch was excellent. Served in a glass - how I like it - it was the piece de resistance of coffees. Sadly memeries of the meal will last long, and I will give it a miss next time I am in the area.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Patrickenfrance
There are newer reviews for Beambridge Inn

Reviewed 1 February 2012

We travelled to the hotel on a sat night for a trade show on the sunday in exeter. It was easy reach to the location and it meant we didnt have to stay in town which wasnt as nice as the country location it was in.
For the price we paid it was fantastic compared to others ive stayed at for the same price. The main reason I say this is the rooms were modern (flat tv, good bathroom, decent bed etc...) the food at dinner and breakfast was good (it was a pub after all!) and the feel of the place and the staff were warning and welcoming (which isnt as common any more).
The reason for the highest score is becasue if you were to ask me is there anything you would else have wanted or could be improved then the answer would be be no.

Room Tip: All rooms should be quiet due to the location which is on its one amonst fields
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We had passed this hotel and restaurant many times and decided to try the £5.50 carvery as promoted on the large banner covering the entrance.
The outside of this large establishment has been recently redecorated in dark and some might say in uninviting colours, however the interior is much more homely if slightly minimalist.
We were welcomed by the gentleman at the bar as soon as we entered who served us politely and efficiently, we then found a quite place to enjoy our drinks and meals, with our tickets we collected our carveries from the serving area, the service here was quick and flowed well, my only criticism here was the very meager meat portions, however as you help yourself to the vegetables so you can make it up here.
The food was excellent the meat was cooked to perfection and very tender, we were disappointed that we not asked if everything was OK during our meal as we would have taken this opportunity to let them know about the small meat portions, we believe no restaurant should go bust for providing reasonable sized meal portions.

All in all I can recommend the establishment for its lunch time meals.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steamhammer2k
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had our wedding reception here in the summer. We were so pleased that we did. The staff were very profesional and the food was excellent. All of our guests commented on the food and service. Attention to detail was very good indeed. Also they were very good value. Cant say enough about this place. We recomend it. excellent.

Room Tip: If you are looking for somewhere to have your wedding reception then this is the place.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2011

we arrived after a 5 hour drive to stop overnight. the staff told us that the restaurant and bar would shut at 6 pm due to them putting xmas decorations up.We felt we were more of a nuisance for being there. we were shown to our room but had to change due to bathroom door falling off.they put us in a executive suite at no extra cost with luxury mattress . one side ok the other one my side springs non existent. ive seen better in skips.the only time we felt welcomed was by the young man who served us an excellent breakfast and whom checked us out.the decorations by the way was not of a winter wonderland. i could of put them up in 15 minutes

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gcook2101
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We live locally and we used to visit frequently to eat (at least once a week) for lunch or evening meal. I would say 18months to 2 years ago the place was fantastic, with enthusiastic staff who couldn't do enough for you and really decent pub grub with an excellent menu with great choice.
Then they completely changed the menu (roughly about 10 months ago) to "fixed price dining" with a few other dishes on the non fixed dining menu. Choice for me (a vegetarian) is a lot worse than what it used to be. We visited today and there were 2 veggie dishes on the menu, one was a risotto (why do pubs always assume veggies want to stuff themselves full of rice??) and the other was a filo vegetable parcel with salad, priced at £9.50!! Most other local places would serve a steak for £9.50, so I feel this is way overpriced.

We had the carvery today, we walked in at 12pm (just as the pub opened) to be told that now we have to order food at the bar (was never like this before). My husband asked what the soup was - the girl behind the bar did not know but would find out, so we took our seats and had a drink, we still never heard anything back so hubby goes back and asks another person at the bar who said she would find out! Why they just can't put "soup of the day - vegetable" on the board is beyond me?!!

They always used to knock a couple of quid off the vegetarian carvery, not anymore.

Once at the carvery counter dishing up my food, I requested veggie gravy (as I have always done and the staff have always obliged) the chef said "it would take at least 8 minutes" so I thought no point in waiting as my food would be cold, so I had a dry roast dinner.

To sum up, you will get a decent meal but this place is sadly not what it used to be. Staff are less attentive, less cheery and the menu somewhat lacking. We have always supported local pubs and as mentioned BeamBridge used to be our favourite haunt for good old "pub grub", shame really.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank masie
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We booked a double room for Saturday night and found it to comfortable clean and quiet although there was a fancy dress party taking place.
We decided to eat in and had an excellent special special steak or fish meal for 2 including a bottle of wine for only £22.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
The Green Dragon
The Green Dragon
#4 of 17 in Wellington
The Old Dairy at Bishops Barton

Been to Beambridge Inn? Share your experiences!