“Nice place, slightly rude staff and food undercooked”

Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hockley Heath
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Nice place, slightly rude staff and food undercooked”
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We attended a wedding here recently. The place was lovely but the staff very insistant about where we were allowed to be. We wanted a drink in the main house and the other guests but told we had to use the bar in the barn. In general everything else was good apart from the mains for the wedding meal. Lack of sauce and almost raw vegetables.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank rebecca h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here for one night after a wedding at the same venue. The room was lovely with lots of nice furniture. Beautiful location with lovely gardens. Breakfast was good with lots of options. It's not cheap and it'd been nice to have had at least a complimentary bottle of water in the room, but overall a really nice stay and would use again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Well at last!!!! Was my only thoughts after looking at the large array of sheer luxury.
During the approach up the smooth Tarmac newly laid Tarmac both me and my wife looked at each other and knew we had found something we was entitled too.
After choosing a lot of country club establishments for our well deserved time together as we are both managing directors of several companies we didn't think this would be any different from the rest( we are both very fussy) and frequent a lot of other establishments claiming to achieve standards we are looking for.
As I am not a golf enthusiast I don't really fit in a lot of the other chains of clubhouse themed venues so this suited me perfectly.
The grounds around the hotel were totally perfect with regularly manicured lawns, beautifully maintained flower beds and even fabulous statues all nestling amongst the lovely backdrop of the rolling hills of Warwickshire countryside.
The helicopter pad was very inspiring for my next visit and as I am a keen pilot and will be frequenting it.
The front desk has a very welcome atmosphere and from the minute your are welcomed by the front of house you just know the whole place has genuine respect for their guests. Both myself and my wife wanted too stay overnight very quickly after our arrival but could not do so as we both had a busy work schedule the following day.
The staff and management are absolutely devoted too this business and it shows.
Our oldest child is getting married next year and after fortunately finding the nuthurst grange
Hotel will be advising him and his fiancé to look very seriously at making this the venue!!
It will make any parent proud to walk through the lovely landscapes next to his soon to be married
Son/daughter especially as I'm paying for it.
Which brings me too the final part of the fabulous nuthurst grange review ,the cost
I was pleasantly surprised upon receiving my bill with how costs was achieved considering the paramount importance we was given and I know for a fact the pristine service we both endured was worth every pennie and pound.
Long may the quality and service in the hands of an independent hotelier live.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Nuthurst Grange for a wedding. The setting is lovely and the grounds are extremely well kept. We checked in very quickly and one of the staff carried our bag to our second floor room. The room was clean and well presented there were a couple of minor issues that let the room dwn, our shower did not work and when I came to dry my hair there was no plug near a mirror and there was no milk for coffee when I came to make a cup in the morning. I am not sure the room was worth the £130.

The wedding venue was beautiful and again the staff and organisation was excellent. The barns provide a perfect setting for a small wedding and if the weather is nice the patio area is lovely.

Breakfast was of a good standard and the staff were efficient.

The hotel is well run and all the staff were very helpful. Small improvements to the room would have made it perfect. An enjoyable but expensive stay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, great rooms. The four poster bed and size of bedroom came as a really pleasant surprise. Staff could have been a bit friendlier at times, but were always professional at least. Would absolutely recommend the place though and would return for a weekend get away

• Stayed June 2013
Warwickshire
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was a excellent venue for my sons wedding. The small chapel, courtyard and adjacent dining areas (joined by a excellent bar) were spotless and very well laid out for the event. It catered perfectly for the smallish (50 -60) guests adn with a larger party in the evening.

I could not fault their attention to detail - the hotel staff were friendly and servie in the hotel itself was spot on. we had a "four poster" bedrooom which was enormous with a huge bathroom attached and had great view over the countryside.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely and I got the impression noting was too much trouble for the team that served us. A particular foible of mine is the quality of the table linen and napkins - it always tells me a bit about how much effort the hotel is prepared to go to make the right impression . . . theirs was perfectly white and crisp (passed my test)

Great place - not just for a wedding but for somewhere to stay with a bit of class.

Room Tip: The "honeymoon" suite on the top floor that my son showed me has a lovely large balcony wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Attended a wedding reception here and stayed overnight. It is a beautiful venue made even better by the staff who were helpful and polite. Drinks were served on an attractive terrace with a nive view. Excellent food at the wedding breakfast and in the evening we transferred through the grounds to the converted stables, which was a good venue for the dancing and with a bar & outside area with gas heaters - these added to the atmosphere but didn't provide much heat on a chilly evening! We had room No 1 for the night. A downstairs, large, attractive room and bathroom in period style. I didn't find the bed particularly comfortable - a bit of rolling into the middle - though my husband found it ok. Just one niggle - why was there no shower gel? Breakfast was served in the orangery and was quite nice. I would have liked to have spent more time in the grounds. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Village Hotel Solihull
#10 of 25 in Solihull
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,561 reviews
Premier Inn Solihull (Hockley Heath, M42) Hotel

Been to Nuthurst Grange Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!