“Bosworth hotel and spa” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Market Bosworth
Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
“Bosworth hotel and spa”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We booked to spend 2 nights with bed and breakfast, 2 treatments in the spa and an evening meal. On arrival we were greeted by a grubby looking reception, with receptionists that were not able to cope with a coach load of travellers that had arrived just before us. Guests were checked in and sent tomfind their own room, the hotel is a labarynth of corridors, one guest returns as he had not been given his key. Finally I got to the front of the queue and was amazed that the receptionistbwas jot able to remember my name as I had only just told her who I was., we were directed with a non-discript point as to where we might find our room. Having found the room we were reallly disappointed (see photos) to find thatbwe had a very dirty dated room. One of the bedside lamps was cracked from top to bottom, the wardrobe door was hanging off, and the chair was urine stained. We went in search of the spa to book our treatments, only to be told that they were fully booked for the 2 days we were staying, the male attendant was less than helpful and basically told us tough. Yet another disappointment. The evening meal in the Crompton restaurant was acceptable, however the starters for the guests were standing on a trolly in the corridor where the guests walked to get to the toilets, dirty dishes were stacked next to that trolly and the soup urn was lidless with more dirty dishes stacked up at the side. We tried tomspeak with the Manager who was not available, the Duty Manager was hiding some where and although asked for by a number of guests did jot appear. Off to bed, the bed was hard to sleep on (not my preference) and outside our bedroom window was parked a coach with rumbled through the night, then in the morning the driver started the engine and filled our room with exhaust fumes. We decided not to endure yet another night in the hotel, and packed to go, I again asked to speak with the Manager but was told along with other guests waiting to see him/her that they were in a meeting for the day and could not be disturbed. The receptionist had not been able to cope so has called one of the office staff down to stand in the firing line, she had jot autonomy tomtake any action and could only suggest that if you had a complaint you should email. The staff over all were lacking, ignoring guests to continue their conversations, this happened on a number of occasions toma number of guests. The hotel caters for coach trips where by they have a captive audience as they can not leave. I am surprised that the coach company continue to use this hotel, beware anyone booking with Leisuretime you could end up at this hotel. We intend to pursue our complaints. This trip was for our 35th wedding anniversary, such a disappointment.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, this hotel is very grubby throughout and is in need of a complete refurbish...
Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mandy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,148)
Grimsby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had wanted to visit Bosworth Hall for a while and finally persuaded my husband to go. Like previous reviews we found the hotel a beautiful old building with well kept grounds . There are some beautiful ornate rooms inside and a lovely staircase. Our room was on the first floor and had an olde worlde bathroom with wooden panels. The room overlooked the staff parking area and we were woken at 6.30am on 2 mornings by cars with music blaring out and slamming doors.
The staff were friendly and helpful but the dining room was understaffed which caused tables to be left uncleared, spilt food in the serving area not wiped up and everything was very rushed. The staff did the best they could but they couldn't keep up with the.large number of people wanting to dine. The Carvery food was tasteless and cold. There was an option to pay more money and eat in the Comptons restaurant but we didn't find out about it until after we had eaten on the second night. Breakfast was better but people were arriving and being asked to wait in the bar area until a table was ready. This could take up to 20 minutes
On our second day 3 coach parties arrived and the hotel became very full and busy with not enough seats around the bar area for everyone to sit down.
Around Bosworth there is not a lot to do. You can walk into the village where there are a few shops and pubs but not much else although the history of Bosworth is very interesting and the old buildings and houses are quaint.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook the staff car park and smoking area
1 Thank terets57
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a wowcher stay here for our wedding anniversary, I have recently lost my job and thought "what a bargain". We were looking forward to this for a few weeks. When we arrived we were swiftly dealt with by the reception, told the general direction of our room and left to find it. Our room was actually up 2 flights of stairs, 1 of which was very narrow, we were pretty much in an attic room. I quite liked this and the room was big enough, clean and homely. I was happy. We went to book into the carvery, at 6:50pm we were told the next available table was at 9pm. Again fine, took the opportunity to walk the grounds (ok, but saw a lot of streamers, a bit of rubbish, and what looked like a bonfire, not what I was expecting from such a grand looking place). At 9 o clock we got our free bottle of rose` (cheap obviously but luckily I'm not fussy ;-) ) and went to eat. Salad bar was some cucumber, tasteless coleslaw, tasteless rice, some strange vinegary carrot thing, pate` that as a previous advisor quite rightly wrote looked like catfood, and that was it. We people with bowls that had had soup in, when I asked I was originally told they were not serving soup as a starter that night, the starter was the salad. Only when I said i'd seen people with soup bowls was I told actually the soup had ran out. So I was lied to! And at 9pm, really? I don't consider it particularly late to be eating. Anyway I carried on to the main. The gammon was actually quite tasty, but the beef was still dripping blood, disgusting, and the salmon was rock hard and the one bite I had was full of bones. Not good at all. Vegetables were green beans, baby corn and carrots and were nice. Gravy was basically brown water. Whilst we were eating I could hear many people complaining, it seemed the desserts had ran out! Luckily for us some more were sourced before we were ready for them. They were quite tasty, but only came with warm cream. We also felt like we had to rush through our meal as staff seemed eager to go home, and were tidying around us, including wiping over the half of our table we weren't using. This wasnt the romantic experience we were hoping for. We asked if we needed to book for breakfast, we were told "no but it will be busy, and I MEAN busy!" Went to bed, didnt sleep well due to only having one rather flat pillow and no spares anywhere. Also very hot as we needed to shut our windows due to what I think was a noisy air conditioning unit just below our window outside. This didn't bither ne too much though. Breakfast we feared the worst, and we got it. We arrived downstairs to a very full looking bar area and many people queuing to be seated for breakfast. Many people were complaining and the poor 'boy' who was left to deal with the crowd could only apologise, which obviously wasnt enough for some of the guests. Where was the management, I couldn't see any member of the management team trying to make the situation better. We were debating going elsewherr for breakfast when another room was opened up for those of us still waiting for breakfast. We were expected to share the round tables that seated 10, again quite an uncomfortable feeling eating at the same table as complete strangers! Many of the tables were still full of other peoples dirty plates (presumably left from the coach party that had eaten in there previously). The hot water had ran out so no tea or coffee, the bowls had ran out so no cereal, no fried eggs, the hardest potato fritters? I've tasted (no hash browns?) Scrambled egg that should be renamed scrambled gooey mush, tomato juice (there wasnt an actually plum tomato to be found) dry sausage and, well actually I like my bacon overcooked so that suited me but I'm sure many other guests wouldn't agree!! When hot water arrived i went for a cup of tea to find the table filthy, overflowing with the wrappers the tea bags came out of. Although the items that had ran out were replaced I dont know why they opened the room up in that state, it clearly wasnt ready. I have never known anything like it, it was a total shambles, all you could hear from guests sitting around us was grumbles and complaints.

The only other thing I want to say is about the bar, there are some pretty stylish leather sofas in between the bar and the restaurant, but these were always taken. Going into the back room off to the right of the bar was like going back in time to some grotty 80's "old man" pub, red leather chairs that were in really bad shape, badly scratched and worn, a dodgy, dog-eared pasteing table appearing to block the way to somewhere, this area needs vastly improving, and is not up to the standard of the bar area!!

I know ive rambled on but I like to give a true and honest account of my stay. I'm not a fussy type of person, and for the price we paid the food was a disappointing bonus as you could pay £60 just for a room. But it was the lack of organisation that astounded me. The staff seemed to be completely caught short by the volume of guests, with three different members of staff saying they couldnt believe how busy they were, but surely they know how many guests are staying at the hotel? I recommend they implement a booking system for breakfast as well as dinner so guests arent all turning up at the same time. And finally,I think they should think about extending their breakfast hours as 9:30am seems very early to finish serving breakfast.

To summerise good room, but thats about it!! If I hadnt have got this through wowcher and had paid the money some others had I would be livid.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gloucester, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Oh dear!! This is the second time I have visited Bosworth Hall this year and ithas gone down hill dramatically. I booked through wowcher at a very good rate - it was great because I could take my dog as the grounds are lovely and there is a country park opposite, so good for walkies! Last time (Easter) things wern't too bad. Yes the hotel is dated and could do with updating but it's ok for the money.

This time, everything was shocking. I visited on Sunday and there must have been a wedding the day before. There were party poppers, streamers and confetti everywhere. Bottles were shoved in the bushes, full ash trays and glasses were lying about everywhere. Not the best for walking your dog. Monday this had still not been cleaned up.

The worst thing was the food and wine. Our deal included a bottle of wine, dinner, bed and breakfast. The wine was not drinkable, I noticed on several table glasses of wine poured and left with the rest of the bottle.Starters were very limited with scraps of mackerel and pate that resembled kitekat. The carvery was diabolical!! 2 slices of meat (turkey and gammon) sloppy sweet potato mash, hard broccoli and caulfower. stewed red cabbage and chip!!! It was totally awful - one mouthful and I had to spit it out. The puds were the cheapest Iceland specials.

Breakfast didn't fare much better with the cheapest ingrdients used and all cooked items swimming in fat. I have never eaten anywhere like this in my life! Thank goodness there are ood pubs, chip shops and restaurants close by.

Market Bosworth is a lovely place and, from experience, I know this hotel can do much better. I think because it is very popular due to these deals and the coach loads of people using the hotel, they have taken mass catering on a budget to extreme.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room which had a lot of noise from the rooms above
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sallyannethomas

Travellers are raving about these Market Bosworth hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night with my parents and 9 yr old granddaughter before going on to the Bosworth Anniversary Reenactment. My parents had stayed here twice before and really like it, so despite a lot of negative reviews i thought i'd book it and see for myself. I think the hotel is a lovely old building with lots of character and beautiful grounds.Swimming pool was good. The rooms we stayed in were the cheap rooms which do need some TLC but they serve their purpose.We had a good nights sleep. A lot of people seem to stay curtesy of Groupon/Wowcher deals well they're not going to get the best rooms are they. The breakfast was really good. There was a wedding party in and some of the young women turned up for breakfast in their pyjamas and some of the parents can't control their "little darlings".If you want modern flat screen TVs, wooden floors and wifi in your rooms go stop in a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express ,personally I like old properties and expect to see worn leather sofas and carpets it's what gives them their character. I for one will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sluffwragby
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We used a voucher for this hotel which included a three course dinner and breakfast. I wasn't expecting anything special for what we paid but was surpassed on arrival that the restaurant was in fact a smelly carvery (not my favourite way to eat). I have eaten in works canteens, greasy cafes and hospitals but nothing compares to the abysmal standard of food which was laid before us. Two choices of meat, turkey and gammon. The turkey was flavourless and chewy, two mouthfuls and that was enough, I passed on the gammon, words cannot describe the joint which was in front of me! Chips and vegetables were over cooked, slightly warm, soggy and again flavourless. There was something of a yellow colour, which was indicated as swede.....strange texture and taste, probably mixed with sharp sand!!! The service staff seemed to be in a world of their own or had they tried the food themselves? Breakfast was slightly better, only because the staff seemed a little more capable.
The room was small (which I expected for the price), we had a couple of dead bluebottles on the window cill. The bathroom was in a poor state (mouldy grout, and flaking paint). There was a number of people who seemed to be enjoying themselves but I can only put that down to ignorance of what a decent hotel can offer and in fact what a motorway cafe can serve up!
The people we spoke to all agreed that the place was the pits. Thank God we only booked one night, there is no way on earth I would have stayed for the second!
I have never written a bad review and try to find some positives the only positive with this one is I left straight after breakfast!

Room Tip: I can't say anymore!
3 Thank andrewg55_12
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I will start with the good points ...... Sorry but it only looks good from the front (not the back or sides due to unsympathetic extensions)

Now on to the bad points.
Terrible infrastructure
Terrible Staff
Worse than Terrible Food
Terrible Service
Terrible Rooms
LIES by staff / managers

On our arrival we were booked into our room at reception with no hotel information being offered to us except "if you want an evening meal you better book now as they are busy" it was only 5:30pm so still quite early i thought, but still thought i better go and sort this before relaxing and getting ready for our anniversary night meal. We booked a 1 night stay with 2 Course dinner in the restaurant and bottle of wine, and our receipt clearly stated "2 Course Dinner". We were quite abruptly told the Cromptons "posh restaurant" was fully booked and we only had a carvery available. As this is not what we were expecting we asked for this to be looked into. A Manager came to us and again told us its fully booked and was already above capacity in the nice restaurant and we had to have a carvery. It was also quite bluntly put to us that our offer was only valid in the carvery and a £7 per head surcharge would have applied if we wanted to eat in the posh restaurant A compromise of a room upgrade was agreed and we were booked in to the carvery.

The original room was small and over looked the rear carpark and the room upgrade was much bigger and promised great views. They were better but it was a first floor view of the front carpark. The 4 poster bed was falling apart and the room was generally "tired" but bed was comfy enough and had plenty of tea coffee biscuits and bottled water. Now with only 45 minutes to get ready and a grumpy wife (she only had a posh outfit for the posh restaurant we were expecting, not the dated carvery) we rushed to get ready, well she did i only had to change my shirt, and proceeded to the Carvery. As we passed by the other "fully booked" restaurant we decided to pop our heads in to see what we were missing and were surprised to see only 3 tables out of 20 ish occupied by a few couples, not looking very fully booked to me! Anyway off for a nice carvery roast dinner, or so we thought.
The seats we were allocated were next to the main corridor and it was freezing, especially for my wife in her fancy dress, and the complimentary bottle of rose wine was warm. I had to go to the bar myself to get this and my own drink (no waiter service here!). A starter i thought would be a good place to start but the soup looked and smelt horrible, cheap par baked rolls and a limp and bitter salad bar. No dressing or sauces for this either. Mains then, the selection of meat was Dry Turkey (seriously who wants turkey away from xmas) and fatty tasteless gammon. Fish was no better, as my wife found out, as it was Hake with lots of small bones in.This is unacceptable and dangerous in my eyes unless warned about it. Does the kitchen not know what "FILLET of hake" means! So no red meat option or even pork! No Yorkies and soft Roasties other veg was tasteless and the gravy tasted like cheap bisto. I have not got a sweet tooth so left this to the expert, well she was not impressed and by the way i could see her cutting into the bakewell tart i am not surprised. Dried up and not very nice.

Ok we thought lets just sit in the bar and enjoy a few cocktails (the house rose was not very good either but was "free") and beers and make the most of our anniversary. Nope we could not find a seat any where, the cocktail bar was shut and the other bar was full of Bingo players so thought they would not appreciate us chatting in the corner. Eventually we found a sofa to sit in. Unfortunately it was in the corridor leading back from the other areas and the "posh" restaurant. Again we thought lets see how busy it is in the fully booked restaurant, and again there were only a handful of diners in there (hardly fully booked) and this was 8:30pm which i would of thought would be one of their busiest times. I was starting to think i had been lied to or misled by the manager as his words said "we are already over booked". In the end we got bored of our corridor seating and got a couple of drinks to go back the room with and again the restaurant was nearly empty (9:30pm).
Not a great night as you can see but after a nights rest was looking forward to a full english, albeit with slightly lower expectations. Unfortunately it didn't even meet my very low expectations. Bacon was tougher than a dog chew, Sausage may not of contained enough pork to be legally called a sausage, Eggs were rushed off to a warzone to arm the troops and the beans and tomato were watery and tasteless. Then i saw a fresh basket of croissants come out the kitchen (starting to wonder if it deserves the term kitchen now) They were cold and took three cups of tasteless bitter coffee to wash them down, even when smothered in jam and butter! We left quite quickly to freshen up and drive home, WE HAD HAD ENOUGH. Only to find the shower was impossible to use with a shower curtain, as this was been blown by draughts into the bath and kept sticking to me.
We were not acknowledged at reception, when leaving and returning our key (threw them in a basket), by two members of staff.

At least they were consistent, TERRIBLE. All members of staff were unhelpful (apart from the manager although i changed my mind later after finding the restaurant NOT fully booked). They all looked annoyed and were generally a bit rude to most people. The hotel was clearly overbooked and they could not accommodate all of us comfortably. Most of the guests (especially young couples like us) looked miserable and dejected and i wonder if they had a similar experience to us.

Safe to say we will never return and will not recommend anyone goes beyond the front gates, which has a very impressive facade only to be let down enormously once in. That is if you can find a parking space! There do not appear to be enough judging by how many cars have been dumped all around the hotel on verges and banks. We got the last usable space at 5:30pm and more arrived after us.

Sorry Bosworth Hall i have just been honest above and would of quite happily given better reviews if it were not for the consistent disappointment we encountered at your hotel. The worst part was feeling like we had been lied to regarding our evening meal as if we had known it was carvery only we would not of even made the booking!

Room Tip: Book another Hotel
2 Thank Peter N
Hilton Leicester
#11 of 41 in Leicester
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,410 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Ullesthorpe Court Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Bosworth Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!