“on the surface ok but all the little things”

and 1 more site!
The Hillmorton Manor Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Heacham, United Kingdom
“on the surface ok but all the little things”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on business and was asked if I would like to pay on my first night. I explained that I would like to put my evening meals etc on the bill at the end. this was accepted. But on the 3rd night the owner asked if I could settle up tonight as there would not be anyone here on the morning that I was to check out (Christmas eve) Therefor no chance of breakfast that morning. I also just got the feeling that there was a lack of trust and that I would do a runner.
Not a great feeling.
On driving there is a smell of the kitchen in the bar where you check in and this smell continued upstairs in my room. It is not a pleasant smell though you get used to it after a bit of time. However each time you return it hits you. The price of the room is a couple quid dearer than a hotel down the road in Dunchurch which seems to be a much better deal.
The room was cool and I turned the radiator up but on my return it was turned down each time.
On my third night there was a group of lads not drinking or eating by the nice long fire and just using this area as a meeting point. Just felt like you were an impostor to this establishment.
The staff though were pleasant.
In conclusion I just get the feeling that this is a bar and an average restaurant that has rooms to rent on the side and definitely not a hotel. With this in mind the room price should be more like £40 to £45 pounds per night.
The room was clean and would only stay here again if I could not get in anywhere else

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cosgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Staff where very nice and friendly as made us welcome. The rooms where very cold and the shower was not very good. Hygiene was not the best and the room had a funny smell that stayed on my clothes for the rest of the day. The room location was a bit of a rat run with odd step to trip you out if you was not careful, but at least they had automatic lighting. Breakfast was an extra £7 and very small and the service was very slow, had to fetch a member of staff twice to get extra coffee and order breakfast. But on the whole for one night i could cope with all this..

Room Tip: Rabbit Warren springs to mind as i said only good for one night,
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Visited last Sunday for a carvery. The staff were friendly, the restaurant was clean and the food fabulous. There was a good selection of 4 meats and a wide variety of vegetables generally a cut above your average carvery.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve W
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Very clean and well looked after hotel with a cozy feel in a fabulous and convenient location. However first impressions from the owner was very rude, not even a response to our good morning but was meet by a stiff ignoring as she went about her business as myself and my girlfriend stood in the lobby like lemons in till she decided to acknowledge our existence. Warm and pretty hotel turned cold by the lack of hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smoo-Taff
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed for two nights while away on business,room was lovely nice clean and cosy,nice big clean shower.Breakfast was just what you need to set you up for the.Lovely young Geordie girl on breakfast very polite,bubbly and helpfull. Would highly recommend

• Stayed June 2013
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We have now stayed at The Hillmorton Manor Hotel twice.
The hotel is clean and nicely presented albeit a little old fashioned unless you prefer the antiquated look.
On the first visit the hostess was blunt to the point of being rude but we put that down to just a bad day, however having been for a second stay the bad day attitude seems to be the norm. It is such a shame because a smile costs nothing as well as an occasional please and thank you. I would have had no hesitation in recommending The Hillmorton Manor Hotel for a convenient short stay, however the hostess does definitely mean I would most certainly not make a recommendation

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Katie_David

Travellers are raving about these Rugby hotels

dorset
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Our first night was quite a let down as bar and eating area very cold! heating was turned on after we asked for it to be checked. we had to take our dinner guests elsewere as the bar took an age to get warm.. 2nd night great, wood burner roaring by door and heating on.Rooms nice clean with good beds and pillows, showers hot. Had a great meal at a reasonable price.My one let down with this hotel is no reception staff so if we go out in the eveing we can not get a drink when we return as bar is closed and locked and no staff at all on duty.Overall nice clean hotel the Lady working on the second night very friendly as was housekeeping who helped with directions.Very good food.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 2 at the back nice and quite.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple